Properly Sealing Blackhorn Charge

Berger024

WKR
It was due to a lack of wadding. Luckily only s.one misfire was on a whitetail.

Doubling up "finger cots" work really well for moisture with MZ's on a hunt.

Good luck. I think with a little heavier charge things should improve.

I'm planning on a session tomorrow myself if the weather allows. I'm doing some extensive testing of bullet to bore loading forces using BH209. The testing is to determine if bullet loading force has any affect on accuracy and velocity. I use precision force gauges to test forces. I'm testing both thin jacketed bullets and heavier jacketed bullets. Should be a fun day if it works out with the weather.
Sorry for hijacking this one fellas…

Encore, what was the end result with your testing? I ask because I think I ran into this myself on my cva accura PR using BH209. I was getting vertical stringing and I was baffled because all of my loads were measured by weight, same bullet, primer, etc. what I did notice, is that the harder a seated the bullet (more pressure I applied) I lower it shot, which still doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. In addition, I feel like pressure I apply in the barrel as I am loading is extremely consistent right up until the bullet gets seated, when get an inch or two before I bottom out to the powder, it seems to get easier.

So besides all of that going on, my gun increased its drop at 200 yards by 4 inches consistently using the same loads, bullets, primers. I initially thought my sabot wasn’t fitting tight enough so I sized up- same result. I did get one size tighter to experiment with. I finally did find some more bh 209. This issue is eating at me.

290 grain t-ez
80 bh 209 by weight
Cci 209 m. Primers.

ENCORE

WKR
Sorry for hijacking this one fellas…

Encore, what was the end result with your testing? I ask because I think I ran into this myself on my cva accura PR using BH209. I was getting vertical stringing and I was baffled because all of my loads were measured by weight, same bullet, primer, etc. what I did notice, is that the harder a seated the bullet (more pressure I applied) I lower it shot, which still doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. In addition, I feel like pressure I apply in the barrel as I am loading is extremely consistent right up until the bullet gets seated, when get an inch or two before I bottom out to the powder, it seems to get easier.

So besides all of that going on, my gun increased its drop at 200 yards by 4 inches consistently using the same loads, bullets, primers. I initially thought my sabot wasn’t fitting tight enough so I sized up- same result. I did get one size tighter to experiment with. I finally did find some more bh 209. This issue is eating at me.

290 grain t-ez
80 bh 209 by weight
Cci 209 m. Primers.
Thes test targets were all shot at 300yds.

There was ..... ZERO ...... scope adjustment other than the range card.

IMG_2280.JPG

AVERAGES 2.JPG

Thes test targets were all shot at 300yds.

There was ..... ZERO ...... scope adjustment other than the range card.

View attachment 362066

View attachment 362067
Encore, how did you accurately measure your load pressure? I talked to bob Parker today and he was a wealth of knowledge. I’m going to try his 300 ballistic extremes and work on finding the “sweet spot” charge that my loader likes. I think my issue is a combination of inconsistent loading pressure as well as not finding the sweet spot. I’d like to eliminate the loading pressure factor out of it as he confirmed that I’m getting a tight enough seal with my current sabots “as long as it goes down comfortably and you don’t break you loading rod.”

I appreciate all of your help.

Chris

ENCORE

WKR
Encore, how did you accurately measure your load pressure? I talked to bob Parker today and he was a wealth of knowledge. I’m going to try his 300 ballistic extremes and work on finding the “sweet spot” charge that my loader likes. I think my issue is a combination of inconsistent loading pressure as well as not finding the sweet spot. I’d like to eliminate the loading pressure factor out of it as he confirmed that I’m getting a tight enough seal with my current sabots “as long as it goes down comfortably and you don’t break you loading rod.”

I appreciate all of your help.

Chris
I use a Wagner force gauge for precise readings. I'm a retired Ergonomist for GM and have measured 10's of thousands of forces. This one measures either push or pull and is discontinued. They're not cheap. Most all have went digital now.

100_3266.JPG

100_3265.JPG