Proposed Light Weight Rain Gear Test..

cwoodyt87

FNG
Why would they even test the FL bottoms?? Stupid!!

I didn't understand that either - they weren't designed as rain gear, aren't labeled as rain gear, but they are used and graded in a rain gear review?
One thing I did like was the loudness test - actually quantifying the loudness of the material isn't something you see much of.

have decibel meter on i-phone app but nowhere near this caliber. used mine once when we built enclosure around generator to cut down noise. worked ok...i guess

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am working to finish this review up, but in the process we recognized that my review was pretty short term. 2-3 months in most cases and a lot of different rain gear over that period. While I was in an unique place to really compare x to y, it would be nice to supplement some of my findings with longer term field use. Please check the above link out and the good guys at Rokslide will hook ya up with a free hat if your info is used. Thanks.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
my thoughts on your question:
the kryptek koldo is much quieter than precip or chugach, but does not have the brushed face of the mt050 that takes forever to dry.
breathability in raingear is kind of null to me as i sweat when i wear it if im doing anything really but pitzips help immensely. all of the options you mention are going to be similar in breathability performance. when you get away from breathable raingear then youre talking like HH stuff and they will not breathe.

where all the items you mention will really differ will be weight, durablity, price, noise.
i believe the chugach is a good medium of being fairly durable and fairly light. lighter options but they sacrifice durability. now if you think youre going to tear up chugach stuff, then i would think a heavier piece would be the only option, like the koldo or yukon. my koldo jacket it about 23oz.
some of the items are suited to being used as raingear (spends most of its time in a pack, used for occasional showers) like precip or poseidon.
some are better outerware with more durability, features, pockets (and weight)

2nd that koldo takes forever to dry..... mine got sent for repair months after use and guess what? yup still does not work, bought 5 bottles of recommended product to apply then dry in med heat for 60 min etc........, still does not work but for maybe a hour. the poseiden on the other hand is far better. the poseiden drys crazy fast and actually keeps you dry. out all day in washington bashin brush with the poseiden has me only wearing it now, you will get damp after some hard work in it but nothing compared to the koldo..... i will say the poseiden coat does lack pit zipps, that becomes fustrating to me for i would much rather have them then not to help it breathe when moving, a small pocket on chest would be nice as well.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am working some final edits. Should be posted any day. Thanks for hanging with me. It was one heck of a fun project.

wow nice job, just skimmed through it and am impressed. will go back later and re-read. was "forced" into the kuiu but now think it would have been my choice in the end. wish it was offered in non-camo,probably next year. you sir,and your helpers are to be commended for your work ....thanks

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Appreciate the kind words. I think you will be happy with the NX. Lot of a great jackets out there to choose from! :)

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
Some interesting reads from Patagonia there. For those that care about MVTR it's a lot of info I haven't seen. Makes me wonder about all the claims of numbers all these companies put out there. Great reads High Country.

n2horns

WKR
Excellent! thanks to all that made this tread kick ass! Now to sell the dog to buy more rain gear, tough decision FL or Krytek, I may let the dryness of FL win me over. Just hope their rain pants and new stretchy pants kick ass too.

High Country, I have one question on your testing,

I see you gave the Kuiu a 9 in water resistance.... What is the reason behind this score? Did the jacket fail? Did it let water through? Was the DWR not as good as the Sitka?

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
High Country, I have one question on your testing,

I see you gave the Kuiu a 9 in water resistance.... What is the reason behind this score? Did the jacket fail? Did it let water through? Was the DWR not as good as the Sitka?
Good question.. Perhaps I should been a bit clearer as to my reasoning, but it got pretty darn wordy as it was! : )

The first thing I do when I get a new piece of rain gear is test the "waterproofness." Its nothing fancy, I simply use the shower in my house. Throw on some knee high rubber boots, rain paints, and a jacket. However, there is a bit of a trick to it to ensure the test is valid.

1) Wrist closure must be snug
2) Hood as snug and to the face as possible
3) Movement is key

I am pretty anal about keeping everything tightened up and very specific in my movements. Why? Well if you move wrong you can get water either in through the face opening or run up the sleeves. This ruins your test and you have wait until the jacket completely dries before testing again.

In the shower I move enough so the the entire garment gets as wet as possible. I will stand, kneel, sit, walk / run in place, and even do a few push ups now and then. The key is to test the jacket, not get yourself hot enough that you start sweating and ruin your rest. I use cold water to both save money and keep me from sweating. 10 minutes is a minimum expectation, I used 12mins 30 secs. Only because I read someone's review and they used 10. ;) If you really want to test go 15+. Usually if it is going to fail though, it shows up prior to 15.

With all that said, I did that test as part of my review. In testing the First Lite Stormtight, the KUIU CHugach NX, and the Sitka Dewpoint there was a noticeable difference in the face of the fabric. Both the KUIU and the First Lite have a softer face than the Sitka. As such that soft face held water vs. shed water like the Sitka. Its hard to explain, but if you look at the picture of me in the wet First Lite jacket you can see how the jacket appears soaked. It did not leak, but in contrast the Sitka fabric face shed water better. All 3 jackets dried quickly, but I felt that I needed a way to differentiate this and uses the scale to do so.

I hope that helps.

Last edited: