PSA - Boot Waterproof Check

Just wanted to give folks a reminder to verify that their boots are still waterproof. It's easier to deal with it now than right before a big hunt.

Find a completely dry flat spot. Remove the soles from your boots and place the boots on the flat spot. Completely fill them up. Look for any signs of wetness and/or water level going down. Let the boots soak for at at least 15 minutes. Problem areas can be eyelets, stitching, holes in the soles, etc.

Having to get new boots and break them in a couple of weeks before a big hunt (ex: mountain goat hunt on Kodiak for me with Kenetrek's) is not a pleasant experience.

4th_point

WKR
I do the same, but mostly just to rinse out the interior fabric. I don't recall having any boot lose water, but they can still get wet from the outside so you need to test both. And I think that only La Sportiva has a full wrap around membrane, including the sole, but I could be wrong.

I had a brand new pair of mucks leak like a sieve and used this method to video it for warranty.

I also do this with my goretex lined boots but will add a cap full of nickwax tech wash to sort of clean the liner.