PSA- Colorado Wind

For those coming out West this year to hunt Elk and Deer in the high country I just want to give a reminder on the wind in Colorado. For whatever reason we have had a weather pattern since about last mid-fall of extremely strong wind including 100+ mph gusts at the Colorado Springs Airport. I just got back from camping up Hermann Mountain road at around 9,000 ft and we got rocked by wind over the weekend.

We had our tent nestled between some rocks and were alright but our tarp setup got knocked down a few times. Pretty much all night I heard the wind rip through the rock on the ridge above us. I say this for those coming out to be wise in your camp selection and stay away from ridgelines. Even ridges in the woods are still going to have a lot of exposure. The wind has been very unpredictable with 40 mph gusts coming out of nowhere and wind hitting with both clouds and blue sky days.

3forks

WKR
I think the scientific reason for this wind happening is because Kansas Sucks.....or is it that Colorado Blows? Either way it's scientifically based information that 9 out of 10 fact checkers agree with.
It’s my theory that because we’re somewhat centrally located geographically in relation to the rest of the country, that our state (and Denver in particular), functions like a drain in the middle of a floor.

Just like how water going down a drain creates a whir pool, and all the grime and crap carried in by the water leaves a ring as it goes down, I think that’s primarily the reason Denver and Colorado attracts so many douchebags from the rest of the country.

I also believe that same whirl pool effect creates a lot of wind being sucked into the area, which is why it has been so windy recently.

Dirtbag

WKR
30 year native and this is the windiest I can ever remember it being. seems like its blowing every single day. I'm over it to say the least.

feanor

WKR
Yeah I’m usually the one that gets tired of people saying it’s cold when it’s winter, and it’s hot when it’s summer, but I agree with the above when it comes to wind being pretty crazy -the last several months especially. But it’s a good PSA to remember to guy out your tents and not EXPECT calm weather to last.

WKR
I'd be sure to have a saw or chainsaw in your rig as well. May be helpful if trees go down while you are back there. We're pretty sick of the wind right around home here.

OP
S
Yeah I’m usually the one that gets tired of people saying it’s cold when it’s winter, and it’s hot when it’s summer, but I agree with the above when it comes to wind being pretty crazy -the last several months especially. But it’s a good PSA to remember to guy out your tents and not EXPECT calm weather to last.

Its been a crazy year for sure for wind and very unpredictable. I was camping with my family in a 6 person North Face tent and put in about 17 stakes total and it got buffed around pretty good in a sheltered location. Some kids came up later and slept in hammocks up on the ridge and just got rocked. They all left first thing in the morning and I could tell it was a long night for them lol You know its windy when even your plasma lighter has the arc bending around all crazy.

OP
S
We can only hope.

We just need to get more moisture. I think the wind comes from the dry air which heats up more dramatically in certain areas vs cooler areas. I really hope we get some good storm cycles this summer or we are going to see more high wind and critical fire danger in the fall.

This is the thread that reminds me that no matter how wild the 90/10 thread gets... everyone sure as hell isn't moving to Wyoming. That being said, I'm in logistics and this has been a horrendous year for blow overs on I25, more in NoCO than anyone I know can recall.

Chaser96

FNG
This is a good heads up. Thanks for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
Before I saw the pics I expected to see you shooting your bow on your 3D range in the heavy wind over there.
Been shooting in the backyard a lot, and getting some good training on wind holds there.
5miles has an excellent point there, shoot on windy days once in a while at least.
There is a lot of arrow drift in a decent crosswind at 30 for sure. I didn’t call the wind right last night and would’ve had gut shot an elk If I was hunting.

OP
S
Been shooting in the backyard a lot, and getting some good training on wind holds there.
5miles has an excellent point there, shoot on windy days once in a while at least.
There is a lot of arrow drift in a decent crosswind at 30 for sure. I didn’t call the wind right last night and would’ve had gut shot an elk If I was hunting.

When we went camping over the weekend I did some windy shots and high angle down shots and it is very eye opening, especially vs shooting at an indoor range. I think the trick to wind shooting is to have a good hold and comfort in your letoff. Sometimes you need to wait 30-60 seconds for a lull in the wind and hit the trigger in that moment when its still for a few seconds.