PSA for Hamskea Raptor Peep

NYSKIER

WKR
PSA on the Raptor Peep

I know it has been talked about here before but I just switched to it when I changed strings this year and went a size down as noted. I have to say so far it has been awesome!!!! Sight picture is better than ever. Can't wait to take a muley or pronghorn with it in August/September. So far I recommend it to anyone!

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
Nice! I’ve looked at getting one 100 times but never pulled the trigger. I need to give one a shot

MattB

WKR
I’ve never held an one, but looking at pictures it seems like the length of it could cause problem if your string creeps and your peep turns slightly, as the opening would “close off” more than a peep that was shorter front to back.

I’ve never held an one, but looking at pictures it seems like the length of it could cause problem if your string creeps and your peep turns slightly, as the opening would “close off” more than a peep that was shorter front to back.

It is more sensitive for sure, but I don't find issues with them. Been using Raptor and Insight peeps for several years.

I like the length as it helps with the halo effect you can get inside a peep from lightning. That's a bigger issue for me than peep rotation. But, it's kinda a precision thing. A standard peep will only move you a few inches in different light, this could turn and close your peep completely, but I haven't had that issue.

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Have thought about this myself. I just figured my solution would be if this happened, I just draw down and it wasn't meant to be! Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me in the but now! haha

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have them on three bows and have been using them for several years now. I haven't had that problem with any of them. My first thought though was "look at the size of that thing on the string". If anything I thought they might "cause" some peep rotation, but they've been good.

I put in the raptor back in December. I had to add a 1/2 top twist and took out a bottom 1/2 twist for the alignment to come in, but haven't had a problem with the 300ish arrows I've shot since then

MT257

WKR
PSA on the Raptor Peep

I know it has been talked about here before but I just switched to it when I changed strings this year and went a size down as noted. I have to say so far it has been awesome!!!! Sight picture is better than ever. Can't wait to take a muley or pronghorn with it in August/September. So far I recommend it to anyone!
You were able to go a size down? Did you have the wrong size in on the old strings? Or is the size down just cause of their chart provided on their web page?

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
I tried one and liked its function, but I sure didn't like the loss in speed. I ended up going back to a standard peep.

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
You were able to go a size down? Did you have the wrong size in on the old strings? Or is the size down just cause of their chart provided on their web page?
I originally got the same size I normally shoot but my sight picture was out of wack. I talked to Rob at S&S and he said with the design of these peeps you should go a size down. I did it and I've been all set ever since.

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
I tried one and liked its function, but I sure didn't like the loss in speed. I ended up going back to a standard peep.
You really got that much of a noticeable loss in speed? Did you have a large POI change? Maybe it's just the change in peep change your sight picture slightly which changed your impact point?

JStol5

WKR
I was using a standard 3/16ths peep and went to a much larger sight housing. Went to a 3/16th Raptor peep and it was perfect. Once you get any peep twist out it's fantastic. I will have them on all my bows for years to come.

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
I was using a standard 3/16ths peep and went to a much larger sight housing. Went to a 3/16th Raptor peep and it was perfect. Once you get any peep twist out it's fantastic. I will have them on all my bows for years to come.
Based off my experience that's exactly what I'd expect

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve never had any issues with a normal peep. Do these allow more light in somehow or something? I use a 1/4” peep.

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
The 2 fps?

There's 6.5 gr difference roughly in a tru peep and a raptor peep in

I didn't chronograph it. I just installed it and went to the range. I only shoot a bit over 60 pounds at 29" draw. There was enough difference that I had to remove my sight marks and resight my bow. I shoot out to 80 yards at the static and 3d ranges where I practice.

I didn't want to lose the speed I had which was only in the 270's with my hunting arrows, so I went back to a standard peep. People shooting higher poundage might no see as big of a difference.

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
I’ve never had any issues with a normal peep. Do these allow more light in somehow or something? I use a 1/4” peep.
Dual 35º and 40º String Groove Angles
Dual string grooves provide archers the ability to choose the correct string angle for their particular set up without the need to purchase a second peep sight. The 35º and 40º string grooves were specifically chosen to accommodate the string angles found on today’s hunting bows.

Aerospace Anti-Glare Technology
Patented Light Baffling eliminates glare by preventing off axis light from reaching the shooter’s eye. This provides a clean and consistent sight picture in all light conditions including when the sun is low and most likely to affect your line of sight

N2TRKYS

WKR
Dual 35º and 40º String Groove Angles
Dual string grooves provide archers the ability to choose the correct string angle for their particular set up without the need to purchase a second peep sight. The 35º and 40º string grooves were specifically chosen to accommodate the string angles found on today’s hunting bows.

Aerospace Anti-Glare Technology
Patented Light Baffling eliminates glare by preventing off axis light from reaching the shooter’s eye. This provides a clean and consistent sight picture in all light conditions including when the sun is low and most likely to affect your line of sight
10-4. The string angle thing is a non issue for me and I don’t have any issues with light glare with my regular one. So, I guess I’ll stick with my regular one. Thanks for the info.

I didn't chronograph it. I just installed it and went to the range. I only shoot a bit over 60 pounds at 29" draw. There was enough difference that I had to remove my sight marks and resight my bow. I shoot out to 80 yards at the static and 3d ranges where I practice.

I didn't want to lose the speed I had which was only in the 270's with my hunting arrows, so I went back to a standard peep. People shooting higher poundage might no see as big of a difference.

Well a tru peep weighs 10.5 gr, the raptor is 17.

If you noticed a difference it was from placement.

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
Well a tru peep weighs 10.5 gr, the raptor is 17.

If you noticed a difference it was from placement.
No. It was not. It was placed in the exact place my standard peep was.

I don't want to argue with you, but you really need to stop telling me what I observed is wrong. It was on my bow, I was shooting it, and as far as I could tell you weren't hiding in the bushes spying on me at the time.

It slowed my bow down enough that I had to redo my sight settings. I found that unacceptable, and I switched back.

Why are you insistent on trying to prove me wrong? This is getting worse than the hen-peckers on AT.