PSA for Puffies

Puffy coats are always being talked about this time of year. In light of that, anyone looking should take a look at montbell japan. I just grabbed a Mirage Parka 5.6oz of 900 fill box baffled for $256 ($449 us site cost) with free shipping. This particular jacket is US sized, others may not be so pay attention to that. The stone glacier grumman that folks rave about is 5.3oz of 850 sewn through for $350, and $400 for the kuiu version. Another good one is cumulus out of poland as good of specs for a better price. I only learned about these from reading other threads on puffies so I am not taking credit for it, just throwing it out there. Happy hunting.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Great reminder @nephewjephew. I'll add that a good way to compare specs between down products is multiplying the weight of the down by the fill power. For the Mirage 5.6oz * 900FP = 5040, and for the Grumman, 5.3oz * 850FP = 4505. This means the Mirage will be warmer. Then you still have to compare total weight, cost, etc

KHNC

WKR
As far as puffy vests go, how does the synthetic puffy from Sitka compare to real down puffy?

atmat

WKR
Puffy coats are always being talked about this time of year. In light of that, anyone looking should take a look at montbell japan. I just grabbed a Mirage Parka 5.6oz of 900 fill box baffled for $256 ($449 us site cost) with free shipping. This particular jacket is US sized, others may not be so pay attention to that. The stone glacier grumman that folks rave about is 5.3oz of 850 sewn through for $350, and $400 for the kuiu version. Another good one is cumulus out of poland as good of specs for a better price. I only learned about these from reading other threads on puffies so I am not taking credit for it, just throwing it out there. Happy hunting.
I’ve not heard of Montbell (and the website is atrocious lol), but Cumulus is definitely an awesome pick. I’m sure Montbell is too, but Cumulus has a modern webpage that’s easy to review.

Edit: I lied. Montbell.us site works great on Desktop. The one linked above is to the Japan site and it’s not great on mobile.

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
This may be a stupid question but… what’s the process of buying from the Japan site? Do you just use your standard credit card and US address?

feanor

WKR
Correct. It just takes longer for it to get there. Maybe 5-7 days for me. Biggest thing is to double check sizing charts before buying.

intunegp

WKR
Here is one that gets mentioned on here from time to time. Definitely size up 1 size and check measurements. Its sized European and the zipper is on the wrong side.

intunegp

WKR