PSA - Hunting off atv/utvs…

Again I think there are different scenarios here. The unit we hunt, no one on this forum would hunt there and not use an ATV to get to where they wanted to start hunting. There are 50” trails all over. We ride to an area we want to hunt and then walk in a few miles. Sometimes though, you don’t get that far.

I have no problem with people walking, just doesn’t make sense where we hunt and I understand that those that like to walk wouldn’t even consider our unit. Which is fine with me because we rarely see anyone in the woods where we are hunting. Funny that doesn’t seem to be the case for these walking only units.

I have done it all. Packed in miles with a backpack, used horses in Wilderness Areas but ultimately we landed on a unit we can ride ATVs. Sleep well on a cot in an outfitters tent with a stove. Eat well and get up to ride and ATV into an area we want to hunt. Different area each day if we want to. Don’t see others in the field and kill animals. I guess if some of those on here don’t think that is real hunting or success, then not sure what to say.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
The real funny thing is I can describe your experience to a T but substitute guys riding up the gully on horses for atvs. So many occasions where the guy riding his horse during prime time "cause horses don't scare animals!" has scared everything out of the country. I have never once seen a mature animal stick around for horses.

At least with atvs it's super easy to avoid them. Just don't hunt near a road. Horses can be anywhere!

I don't mind people with horses, there are plenty of guys who do it right. But this idea that horses don't scare animals needs to die, because I have seen the contrary way too many times.
Good points. Nothing beats playing the wind and hunting smart.
I don’t think people hunt off them, most use them the same as a pickup to reduce damaging the main vehicle, get to a place to wear out boots but maybe not, maybe more hunt off them then I think which to me is hilarious if true.
this is the key point most are missing. Hunting “with” an atv and hunting “off” an atv are very different. Hunting with an atv is great. Get there in the dark, park, and go hunt vs riding around during prime hunting time running off everything within earshot of the atv.

Broomd

WKR
I don’t think people hunt off them, most use them the same as a pickup to reduce damaging the main vehicle, get to a place to wear out boots but maybe not, maybe more hunt off them then I think which to me is hilarious if true.
Most of us get the idea of using an ATV merely to get around, and hiking in from there. But the guys that hunt purely off of them and off trail are legion.
Many here could share numerous stories, I can. Like in 2012 sitting on a timbered, cowed-up bull elk for three straight afternoons, calling, working him....only to have an ATV literally bust uphill though the timber and right into my ground blind!
The stupidity can't even be quantified.

tdhanses

WKR
Most of us get the idea of using an ATV merely to get around, and hiking in from there. But the guys that hunt purely off of them and off trail are legion.
Many here could share numerous stories, I can. Like in 2012 sitting on a timbered, cowed-up bull elk for three straight afternoons, calling, working him....only to have an ATV literally bust uphill though the timber and right into my ground blind!
The stupidity can't even be quantified.
Oh wow, I’ve not experienced this but really i don’t hunt close to where they can get.

I did my heaviest miles days this September whilst using a dirt bike. Double digit miles type days. The bike just gave me more opportunity, less time spent in a vehicle, less wear/tear on my vehicle.

And FWIW I would have preferred a wilderness type hunt, but I spent time up there and there were very few animals compared to where I actually hunted.

Animals who have been buzz bombed all summer don't give two shits about a dude on an ATV driving by.

I watched a big buck that was yards from my shooting lane go from relaxed to running in seconds with the start of a utv 250 yards away. Saw a old doe do a 180 and vanish as she heard one coming in the distance. Didn't seem to bother the younger deer.

tdhanses

WKR
I watched a big buck that was yards from my shooting lane go from relaxed to running in seconds with the start of a utv 250 yards away. Saw a old doe do a 180 and vanish as she heard one coming in the distance. Didn't seem to bother the younger deer.
I’ve seen plenty not even flinch as well. Many are used to the 6 months prior of utv/atv’s screaming around on roads. But you were also 250 yards from a vehicle, can’t complain there unless they were a mile off trail.

tdhanses

WKR
I did my heaviest miles days this September whilst using a dirt bike. Double digit miles type days. The bike just gave me more opportunity, less time spent in a vehicle, less wear/tear on my vehicle.

And FWIW I would have preferred a wilderness type hunt, but I spent time up there and there were very few animals compared to where I actually hunted.

Animals who have been buzz bombed all summer don't give two shits about a dude on an ATV driving by.
The last few years i go checkout the wilderness, seems like 100 Doug Flutties are up there blowing elk out, wish they would ban Cory Jacobson followers from the woods.

ChrisAU

WKR
Hunted an area in Wyoming a couple weeks ago that had roads on most ridges. We’d be sitting 500-1000 yards from a road watching deer and all of a sudden they’d pick their heads up and walk into timber. 2-3 minutes later you’d see an ATV drive down the road, stop and look into the basin for a couple minutes, get back in and leave and 2-3 minutes after the deer would come back out. Fascinating to watch.

I fully intend to use my ATV during 3rd season. Sorry, not sorry. I was about to start a thread asking if a gun slicker counts as being a cased rifle on an ATV in Colorado. Anybody know?

jmez

WKR
Using ATVs, dirt bikes, e-bikes and UTVs (and the like) for hunting access should be unlawful on public ground. Drive your vehicle, then walk in.

There. I said it, and I'm not sorry.
As should pick ups, anything with a motor. All roads other than paved highways should immy close.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Super tag

WKR
Where we hunt the game are used to the atv/utv activity. I use one to get where I need to go, hard to walk 13 miles before daybreak every day, especially when your over 60 - I’ve been glassing deer and elk and have watched guys drive within 20 yards and the animals just hold tight, or stay bedded, seen it many times, they don’t all leave the country.

I figured this was pretty obvious, but based on what I saw first rifle, it’s not something that most people don’t know!!!

Hunting off your atv/utv, is a great way to scare away elk! Not just for you, but ANYBODY in ear shot of your stupid machine. Driving around at first light is a great way to push all elk into dark timber. Driving around at last light is a great way to push elk into dark timber.

The crazy part is, 99% chance you’ll never see the elk you’re scaring away, or the hunters you’re effing up! I watched a 320” class bull and 10 cows run OUT OF THE COUNTRY for apparently no reason. 5 minutes later I hear 2 donkeys riding their atvs up the road. That bull heard those atvs when they were still a mile away and well before I could hear them or see them. The “hunters” had no idea the elk were standing in a meadow, 200 yards off the atv trail and were feeding for an hour prior to their arrival. I had walked 5 miles in a huge loop to get the wind right, only to have the 2 “hunters” drive right through on their “hunt”.

This wasn’t the only example but one of a parade of “hunters” doing the same thing. Drive atv to meadow, glass meadow, drive off wondering why there are no animals around.

I know, I know it’s public land, don’t be a whiner, blah blah blah.

Oh and while I’m being a complainer, pay attention to the effing wind!!!! Standing at the head of a draw at first light is a great way to blow out the ENTIRE draw as the thermals blow your scent down to every animal in the draw.
This is funny, I get a huge kick out of seeing every other truck headed to the mountains with a sxs or atv and just chuckle. I thought i was the only one who thought they were fairly useless for hunting. Most guys are using them to cross closed gated roads to get game out. At times i get super frustrated with all the engines in the distance, its almost as bad as all the boomsticks echoing in the distance. But then i remind myself they are simply making the all the animals go where the lazy do not

Last edited:

JFK

WKR
The outfitters love them as all the side by sides on public move the animals onto private like nothing else. You are kidding yourself if you think that 100 idiots running around with those loud machines doesn’t spook elk off the hill.

Does anybody know off the top of your head if any western states have restrictions on time of use for atvs during hunting season. I don't know because i have never really considered using one for hunting public. Only reason i ask is because our family owns some hunting land with a cabin in northern MN and they have what i would consider unique laws for using recreation vehicles weather you are hunting or not during the firearms deer season.
1666705115148.png

nebhunt

WKR
So what is the difference between a pickup or a Jeep driving on the road vs a utv? Does one scare off the animals more than the other? I understand that both types of vehicles break the laws and go off into areas they are not allowed and the utv crowd probably does it more often. If i see any type of vehicle in an area they are not allowed I will report it to the proper authority. I think more closed roads during hunting season would be a big help.

tdhanses

WKR
Does anybody know off the top of your head if any western states have restrictions on time of use for atvs during hunting season. I don't know because i have never really considered using one for hunting public. Only reason i ask is because our family owns some hunting land with a cabin in northern MN and they have what i would consider unique laws for using recreation vehicles weather you are hunting or not during the firearms deer season.
View attachment 467325
I’d think that would infringe on not hunters recreational use but i’d also expect the western states get more users. Funny how animals don’t flinch at these things till huntings season starts.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
So what is the difference between a pickup or a Jeep driving on the road vs a utv? Does one scare off the animals more than the other? I understand that both types of vehicles break the laws and go off into areas they are not allowed and the utv crowd probably does it more often. If i see any type of vehicle in an area they are not allowed I will report it to the proper authority. I think more closed roads during hunting season would be a big help.
Utv are a LOT louder than trucks for one especially at idle speeds. Often, roads get significantly worse the farther into elk country you get so you’ll have more utv in the back country where trucks would be forced to stop and people would need to walk. At least that’s my experience.