Puffy Pants - LPP, FL or STIKA?

peckb33

FNG
Need a pair of puffy pants. Thinking about Kifaru Lost Park Pants, FL Uncompahgre or Sitka Kelvin Lite? Any thoughts for a solid Late season glassing puffy pant?

Currently run the FL Chamberlin Down Jacket

jmav58

WKR
I use Kryptek Puffy Pants that I bought on sale and really like them in case you found a pair that fit for a decent price.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Need a pair of puffy pants. Thinking about Kifaru Lost Park Pants, FL Uncompahgre or Sitka Kelvin Lite? Any thoughts for a solid Late season glassing puffy pant?

I my self am a huge fan of stone glaciers Grumman goose down pants they are extremely comfortable and stupid light weight. They are awesome I love them the best thing is that I can fit the jacket and pants in my cargo pocket of my pants that's how small they pack down and they are very, very warm down 850 plus fill power just amazing. Price is pretty well to for how light and warm and durable they are great pants. let me know if you have any questions on them or the sitka ones

If your looking at under $100 but not real packable army surplus level 7 puffy pants ain’t bad. Full side sips reenforced knees. Just another option. 1 Day I would like more packakable ones.

OP
P

peckb33

FNG
These are all great options, appreciate the information. Now I have more things to consider.

Trying to figure out the best combination of Warmth, Weight, Durability, and Price.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu’s super down pro and ultra pants are killer and can find them at a good price on sale or I can get you a $50 discount. I love mine.

I run the kuiu super down ultra. Are there warmer pants that are better value for the money? Of course, and I’m also not a kuiu fan.

But they’re plenty warm, only weigh 8 ounces, and have the awesome side zip feature that apparently only kuiu provides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cody_W

WKR
I run the kuiu super down ultra. Are there warmer pants that are better value for the money? Of course, and I’m also not a kuiu fan.

But they’re plenty warm, only weigh 8 ounces, and have the awesome side zip feature that apparently only kuiu provides.

What’s the coldest you’ve ran the ultras in?

IdahoElk

WKR

I have both the Ultra and Pro, the Ultra are good to around 20 and the pro for everything else, the Pro's are the bomb! material is thicker and double the down of the Ultra.
Most of it depends on what activity (sitting/hiking) you will mainly be doing as to the temp rating.

IdahoElk

WKR

Late season I'd run the Kuiu pro super down BUT they don't compact like the Ultra's

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider

I’ve run them in the teens. It was really windy and I was comfortable. I wasn’t toasty warm but without them I couldn’t have lasted long. Keep in mind I had the attack pants under them and the peloton 145 baselayer pants under those. My feet were frozen and my upper body was cold too.

I also wore them at night with a quilt rated to 40 degrees and slept fine.

There’s a lot warmer options out there, but for the weight it’s hard to beat the ultras. I guess if I had to do it again I’d buy the stone glaciers: twice the weight, $30 cheaper than kuiu, and 3x the insulation.

Or maybe these: https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=25044&p_id=2301352&gen_cd=1

Seems like a good combo of the light weight kuiu but warmth of the SG.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
I have the uncompahgre vest and it is darn warm for as light/packable as it is, got a jacket coming and want the pants since they have full side zips...as soon as I give the jacket a try I will decide on the pants.

renagde

WKR
I run the Under Armor Alpine Ops down pant and the Kuiu ultra jacket. The Under Armor pants have a thicker fabric then the Kuiu Ultra, but they're also about twice the weight. They're stupid warm though, and have full length leg zippers. I got them on sale for around $90 so you can't beat that.

Cody_W

WKR
I’ve run them in the teens. It was really windy and I was comfortable. I wasn’t toasty warm but without them I couldn’t have lasted long. Keep in mind I had the attack pants under them and the peloton 145 baselayer pants under those. My feet were frozen and my upper body was cold too.

I also wore them at night with a quilt rated to 40 degrees and slept fine.

There’s a lot warmer options out there, but for the weight it’s hard to beat the ultras. I guess if I had to do it again I’d buy the stone glaciers: twice the weight, $30 cheaper than kuiu, and 3x the insulation.

Or maybe these: https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=25044&p_id=2301352&gen_cd=1

Seems like a good combo of the light weight kuiu but warmth of the SG.

The pit zips are a nice feature of the Kuiu’s though.

beelzibub

FNG
I have the Uncompahgre jacket and it has worked great for cold and windy days when glassing. I tried the pants awhile ago and had to return them. I'm sure they're just as warm as the jacket, but I couldn't get over the crazy excess material in the butt area of the pants. I am a pretty skinny guy, but it just looked damn ridiculous! I'm hoping they will fix that issue someday...or maybe I just need to grow an ass to fill them in, lol!

cmahoney

WKR
I have the Kuiu Ultra’s. I think I’m on my 3rd season with them. They are warm, light, pack down great and the zippers are awesome. I would not recommend them based on durability. I have mostly used them over my pants when I made it up to a glassing spot. I sit on a foam pad and have been careful not to side them across rocks. I have several tears in the thin outer layer and have patched them with tenacious tape about 5 times.

I would happily carry a few more ounces to have a more durable pair of down pants.

JohnnyB

WKR
Just got the Sitka Kelvin Lite pant. Wore it a couple days ago in 20 degrees weather and felt very warm. Not made for walking around in though, way too warm.

My selection was based on finding a pair on amazon on sale for $150.