Puffy vest

montei

FNG
I’m looking to get a puffy vest. Looking at the kuiu super down ultra, and Sitka Kelvin aerolite vest. Wondering if anybody has experience with either and what you would recommend.

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I own both and love both. If in a stand on a fall day, Sitka is my choice. If in the mountains and need something light and packable, I go KUIU. Neither are durable so be sure you arent pushing through brush with them. Both very comfortable.

We do a Review + Raffle on Vests and the Super Down Ultra is the top chosen by the winners.

SMOKYMTN

WKR
The Super Down Ultra is an outstanding piece but very fragile in my opinion. Extremely lightweight and rolls up so small, but I sold it because I just didn't trust the 12D shell was going to hold up to my needs and I didn't want to tear up a $200 vest.

I have no experience with the Aerolite but if you want a 3rd option to think about and are open to solid colors, look at the Outdoor Research Helium Down Vest. 30D Pertex Diamond Fuse shell is much tougher than others in the same weight class, 800 fill down, highly compressible, comes in at 8.4oz which is lighter than the Sitka. At $179 and regularly on sell, it comes in cheaper than both Sitka and Kuiu. I bought it in Loden and thought on the computer that the shine might be too much, however in person it is no different than the Stone Glacier Grumman line. I hunted with it all winter and it was an outstanding piece. Very, very satisfied all around.

2775741943.png

Following for opinions as well as I'm torn between those two as well.

I'm guessing the Kuiu is more packable, and its exactly half the weight of the Sitka..

Is there a warmth difference between them?

Is one quieter than the other?

OP
montei

montei

FNG
Awesome thanks guys. I should have mentioned that I’m open to other suggestions as well. And camo or solid does not matter to me I wear both. Thanks!

OP
montei

montei

FNG
I guess another question would be, is the aero lite insulation really that great? Or is it just another synthetic insulation.

If you want the highest warmth per weight ratio..I don’t think you can beat super down ultra..To me it’s not too fragile but I don’t do a ton of bushwhacking and if I did I’d use it as a mid layer piece. Worst case I’d patch it and keep using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honyock

WKR
I really like my Super Down Ultra vest. It's light, warm and takes up zero space. It's not what I would wear fighting through briars and not made for that purpose. It's a good insulation piece that is not bulky under a soft shell or hard shell.

Are you set on down? If not, I love my Kuiu Kenai Jacket. I wish I had gotten it as a vest. It fits snug (more like a mid-layer than a jacket) and is pretty warm overall. It's also much quieter than the Super Down pieces.

eamyrick

WKR
I wear a Mountain Hard Wear down vest. Has been extremely durable and is very warm. Lately I’m gravitating more and more to outdoor brands over hunting specific clothing companies. I noticed recently when comparing vest that the outdoor brand had ykk zippers and the hunting brand has a much less robust zipper. I think for the money you get a higher quality, more thoroughly tested piece of gear.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking to get a puffy vest. Looking at the kuiu super down ultra, and Sitka Kelvin aerolite vest. Wondering if anybody has experience with either and what you would recommend.
Any thoughts on a cheaper option like the 32 degree vest?

If you can’t get the Kelvin in a long size then I wouldn’t get it. I tried to like it and tried all kinds of sizes but each one barely hit my belt buckle in the front. I returned it

ccarter

FNG
Any thoughts on a cheaper option like the 32 degree vest?
I have one in green, and it weighs 9 oz. in medium. Pretty warm, very light. Not sure how the warmth compares to the super down or aerolite. FWIW, the material is definitely thin, but no thinner than most puffy material. And at <$20 right now, you could stand to tear up a few.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have both and have worn them quite a bit.

The KUIU is warmer IMO and lighter. It's also down so you have to be a little more careful to make sure you don't get it soaked. The KUIU blocks the wind better but the Sitka breaths better. The Sitka will hold up to more harsh use but neither is made for plowing through the brush. The Sitka is quieter than the KUIU.

I would choose the KUIU for backpack hunts in the high country where I'm mostly sitting and glassing in cold and wind.

I would choose the Sitka for really wet hunts or if I anticipated a lot of activity while wearing it.

TheGDog

WKR
A question for you Gentleman which make use of these Vests.

I want to understand what are the reasons/motivators which sway the decision to NOT be getting a similar garment BUT with the sleeves on as well?

I'm just asking because for myself, when I really need warmth, it's when I'm electing to take a sit for an extended period. Whether that's glassing over an area, or remaining as motionless as possible on an ambush sit. (Also this one new med they have me on makes extremities have a tendency to get/feel cold more easily too.) So when I want/need warmth...my extremities are going to want the help first and foremost.

So I'm wondering, is it like... you like the absence of the sleeves because that makes the garment quieter to wear when working your way thru thick stuff? Since your arms aren't covered in that same material? Is that the deal?

Or... are you just a person who "runs hot" generally and a vest makes you less prone to wetting up with sweat underneath your layers? Is it something like that?

-G

OutHeavy

FNG
I picked up the Kuiu Kenai vest last year and took it to Montana in late October. There were two reasons I chose a synthetic vest over a down vest. First, if I'm wearing a vest at all it's usually because I'm hiking with a pack, butchering or doing something active in cooler weather. No one wants to be sweating in a puffy. I appreciate the versatility of a vest when it comes to layering. Second, I wanted a decent back up source of warmth in case my puffy got wet. The vest is fantastic and performed great. I did find I used the puffy more frequently (glassing and in camp). The jury is still out for me as to whether carrying the extra weight, while minimal, is worth it.

Voyageur

WKR
A question for you Gentleman which make use of these Vests.

I want to understand what are the reasons/motivators which sway the decision to NOT be getting a similar garment BUT with the sleeves on as well?

I'm just asking because for myself, when I really need warmth, it's when I'm electing to take a sit for an extended period. Whether that's glassing over an area, or remaining as motionless as possible on an ambush sit. (Also this one new med they have me on makes extremities have a tendency to get/feel cold more easily too.) So when I want/need warmth...my extremities are going to want the help first and foremost.

So I'm wondering, is it like... you like the absence of the sleeves because that makes the garment quieter to wear when working your way thru thick stuff? Since your arms aren't covered in that same material? Is that the deal?

Or... are you just a person who "runs hot" generally and a vest makes you less prone to wetting up with sweat underneath your layers? Is it something like that?

-G
For me a vest is always a midlayer in cool to cold weather. I like the fact that they add warmth to my core without adding constrictive bulk to my arms. Keeping my arms free and mobile is especially important to me when bowhunting. Hope this helps.