Puppy food

I like victor, then transferred them to the non grain after 6 months. Working cattle dogs not gun dogs. Ones skinny Aussie other is a heavier collie/Aussie. Genetics play their part after a year for sure.

Yoder

WKR
I have a four month old Golden Retriever. Our breeder was feeding them Purina puppy chow. She is growing fast and has a bunch of energy. I think people worry way too much about this. The worst thing you can feed your dog is too much food. Just keeping them lean and active does wonders. I'm not paying $50 for 20lbs of food.

2ski

WKR
Nutri source. The breeder fed it. I bought it and my dog gets the adult chicken and rice.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
Puppy food has the right balance of calcium. whihc is one of the minerals that needs to be watched when they are growing.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Our 7 year old Golden Retriever has been on Orijen since we picked him up at 12 weeks for his entire life minus 4 months that we tried Acana. I have no complaints with it other then it is pricey. I wanted to try Acana for him in order to save a few dollars, however by bag number 3 or 4 he quite eating it. Switched back to Orijen and was good to go.

Mosby

WKR
I feed my Vizla pup and GSP PPP Sport Salmon 30/20. It's an all life stages food, so it works for pups.. f I had a retriever, I would feed a large breed food.

started my lab pup on nutrisource large breed puppy which was recommended by the breeder and my vet.
Now she's on purina pro plan adult complete essentials

magsinchi

FNG
If you have access to it, I highly recommend "NutriSource". The brand manufactures, and distributes their own food in MN and has an in-house Nutritionists (very important in the dog food world vs third party). My Corgi's been on it his whole life.

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
I have my lab pup on PPP chicken/rice and making the switch to adult but I want to get away from Nestle.

Anyone feeding just a novelty protein like rabbit, bison, etc? I think the Instinct brand is something like that. Its kibble and freeze dried raw.

Edit. After more research, will skip the freeze dried raw as we have a newborn in the house so will remove the chance of salmonella and bacteria. So might stay the course with ppp 30/20 chicken rice.

Last edited:
Why did you switch to pro plan?
My vet/breeder recommended to feed the nutrisource puppy up to one year old and then they had a list they provided off good adult food. The pro plan was reasonably priced compared to the others and readily available at my nearest tractor supply and fleet farm.

Nothing scientific if that's what you were wondering.