Pyro Putty Review

colersu22

WKR
I sent you a video via Instagram Robby about lighting with a ferro rod that phone skope sent me when I asked them about it. I couldn’t figure out how to attach it on Rokslide so that’s why I sent it to you on Instagram.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I heard back from Phone Skope. The Summer Blend that I used in this test is rated for 20-100 degrees. The temp this day was near the lower limit of 20 degrees. The Pyro Putty Winter Blend is rated from 0-70 degrees and could perform even better at the test temps. They are sending me some to test and I'll update the thread.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I sent you a video via Instagram Robby about lighting with a ferro rod that phone skope sent me when I asked them about it. I couldn’t figure out how to attach it on Rokslide so that’s why I sent it to you on Instagram.
I see it! Looks like I wasn't pulling the putty apart enough to expose more surface area. I'll try that later.

Trial153

WKR
OK, I heard back from Phone Skope. The Summer Blend that I used in this test is rated for 20-100 degrees. The temp this day was near the lower limit of 20 degrees. The Pyro Putty Winter Blend is rated from 0-70 degrees and could perform even better at the test temps. They are sending me some to test and I'll update the thread.

Big over lap there, I probably didn’t need to buy all I did...oh well can’t have too much stuff

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Big over lap there, I probably didn’t need to buy all I did...oh well can’t have too much stuff
Sorry man that I didn't have more info on the blends. This was not some promotion we set up with Phone Skope. I was just at their Expo booth and Cheston said grab some and give it a try. We didn't disuss blends at all, just why one can was labled and one wasn't (due to space limitations.). So did you just order summer blend?

twall13

WKR
I see it! Looks like I wasn't pulling the putty apart enough to expose more surface area. I'll try that later.
Can you post up that video somewhere? I'd be interested in seeing more on lighting it with a ferro rod.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Can you post up that video somewhere? I'd be interested in seeing more on lighting it with a ferro rod.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I don't know how to get it from an IG message to youtube. Sorry!

Trial153

WKR
Well I ordered some pyro putty and it came in two days. Today I picked up the mail and second duplicate order was in my mail box. I checked my card and sure enough I only had one charge. I called and spoke to a nice gentlemen over at phone Skope to get a label to return it and he told to keep it and thanks calling. Good people and service.
I didnt get a chance to use it in the field yet but I did break it out to start a fire in our wood stove. Nice stuff, a small ball was used on the top of some pine. It lit with a single match and burned hot and long enough to start some slivers of hard wood. In a few minutes I had good fire going.
This seems like it going to be a soild product. Its easy to work with and easy to store and transport. For the cost of it and its convenience I cant see making my own.
I will do some futher reviews outdoors as soon as am able.
1ed5ce6e9a90b1ecb53c282821a4ec9b.jpg
b46610e73342b1a7a8abe4c6df371032.jpg

I won some cans at the Expo from their booth. It seems like a very good product. When they explained it to me they said to pull the putty apart on the end and really fan it out to expose the fibers. It will light better is what the guy said.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I won some cans at the Expo from their booth. It seems like a very good product. When they explained it to me they said to pull the putty apart on the end and really fan it out to expose the fibers. It will light better is what the guy said.

That’s what they’re telling me since they saw the video. I’ll do that next and try it with a ferro rod. Unless someone beats me to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I did the steel striker test with the Winter Blend test. It does work. Not as easy to light as Trioxane, but it does light.

I did note that the Winter Blend does seem to be a little greasy compared to the Summer.

Video shows Winter, Summer Blends vs. Trioxane, using steel to light

tdhanses

WKR
Robby thanks for videos, just ordered a 5pack of the little .5oz tins. Comes with 2 summer and 3 winter blend, also is on sale for $14.99, was just under $22 shipped. Retail is $19.99 so thought that was a great deal overall.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby thanks for videos, just ordered a 5pack of the little .5oz tins. Comes with 2 summer and 3 winter blend, also is on sale for $14.99, was just under $22 shipped. Retail is $19.99 so thought that was a great deal overall.
Thanks for the heads up Tim. I think you'll be pretty happy with this stuff. I'll be packing it this year.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Curious on the quantity folks run through on products like this. I have always carried two forms of ignition (Lighter and Waterproof Matches) have packed the Vaseline cotton-balls a couple times but have never had to actually use anything other than what kindling is available to get a fire started. For an emergency kit (Survival Fire) this looks great, but realistically how much is needed? My experiences are mostly early season, so I expect this is more a of must need for the late season folks.

What is the shelf life?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Curious on the quantity folks run through on products like this. I have always carried two forms of ignition (Lighter and Waterproof Matches) have packed the Vaseline cotton-balls a couple times but have never had to actually use anything other than what kindling is available to get a fire started. For an emergency kit (Survival Fire) this looks great, but realistically how much is needed? My experiences are mostly early season, so I expect this is more a of must need for the late season folks.

What is the shelf life?

I've been using a piece about the size of a quarter in my tests. Could probably get five fires per small tin, 3-4X that much on the large tin.

I've learned that we din't think much about a firestarter until it's bad, really bad.

Has anyone had a chance to try the pyro putty electronic arc lighter? It looks pretty legit and it is rechargeable. Just wondering if it would have any problems lighting a stove.

jake1455

FNG
I like the idea of this, I’ve always been a bit of a pyro myself looks clean and like it won’t make a big mess which I like a lot

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m about to write a review for them on Amazon after receiving this product.

This is going to replace a few items in my fire bag.

The trick to it is the pinching and pulling it completely apart like the video when the guy makes the small ball of it. That gets the best fibers and the Stryker will light it fast.

I repackaged mine in these bags I have for my possibles pouch so I can just pinch and pull out of it.
61275d066fed3c5cbf7b585d65efaa37.jpg