Q&A for ZCO 4-20x50mm Field Eval

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Questions and answers for-

4th_point

WKR
Looking forward to it, Formi.

Most ZCO I know of are on heavy rifles so not much of an endurance test.

As you probably know, some samples have had side focus issues. Not just difficult adjustment but mechanism failure requiring repair. Do you have any special or additional procedures planned?

I got cold feet on this scope so having even one sample pass will be encouraging. Thanks to you and Ryan for doing this.

huntnful

WKR
Looking forward to it, Formi.

Most ZCO I know of are on heavy rifles so not much of an endurance test.

As you probably know, some samples have had side focus issues. Not just difficult adjustment but mechanism failure requiring repair. Do you have any special or additional procedures planned?

I got cold feet on this scope so having even one sample pass will be encouraging. Thanks to you and Ryan for doing this.
I personally know of 4 that had parallax failures, including my own. Curious how they do in the battery test also!

Clark33

WKR
I'm kinda rooting against it. I have bought my "last scope ever" about 10 times now! :ROFLMAO:
I've thought about this too. Lets say it does pass, is it worth $4,000ish when there are scopes from $200 to $1500 that also work? What features justify another $2,500? I'm still curious about this one though.

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
I've thought about this too. Let’s say it does pass, is it worth $4,000ish when there are scopes from $200 to $1500 that also work? What features justify another $2,500? I'm still curious about this one though.
Assuming it passes, Yes. Unfortunately it is worth the money. I’ve got a Vortex PST 2, two Kahles’ and a Mark 5 and an EOTECH Vudu. I hit every price point there is and I promise you the increases in price are worth the extra dollars. You might not be willing to pay, but the quality of the product makes it worth it.

‘94 civic that costs $3k will still get you from point A to point B, but that doesn’t mean the new corvette isn’t worth $80k.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
A 4000 dollar scope should handle virtually any (reasonable) abuse that's thrown its way. I predict it fails...

I bet you $5 it passes.
Form done took too long if it was gonna fail.
or he is making sure it really broke.....

Last edited:

Clark33

WKR
Assuming it passes, Yes. Unfortunately it is worth the money. I’ve got a Vortex PST 2, two Kahles’ and a Mark 5 and an EOTECH Vudu. I hit every price point there is and I promise you the increases in price are worth the extra dollars. You might not be willing to pay, but the quality of the product makes it worth it.

‘94 civic that costs $3k will still get you from point A to point B, but that doesn’t mean the new corvette isn’t worth $80k.
Oh I’m sure it’s nice. And yes SWFA’s are the Honda civics of scopes, they just keep on trucking lol.

BjornF16

WKR
I've thought about this too. Lets say it does pass, is it worth $4,000ish when there are scopes from $200 to $1500 that also work? What features justify another $2,500? I'm still curious about this one though.

You didn't even answer the question he asked...WHAT FEATURES JUSTIFY ANOTHER $2500? ...lol

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
You didn't even answer the question he asked...WHAT FEATURES JUSTIFY ANOTHER $2500? ...lol

Well you should have deduced what he said sir.
Being as he listed 2 scopes that for sure dont really hold zero........
I guess we know the answer isnt $2500 more to ensure they work correctly.....

huntnful

WKR
I’ve owned a ZCO 527 and ZCO 420. It is the best glass I’ve ever looked through. That’s the only difference though honestly. Turrets are just OKAY. Parallax adjustment is just OKAY. The mag ring with integral throw is actually really nice. Reticle is similar to other reticles.

It’s $1200 more than a 4-20 ATACR for probably 10% better glass. Almost identical reticles. I switched from ZCO 420 to an ATACR 4-20. No regrets. I wanted dependability more than anything.

4th_point

WKR
I personally know of 4 that had parallax failures, including my own. Curious how they do in the battery test also!

I'm not surprised but four of them?!

Any factors in common for the configurations, like similar rings/mounts or ring location?

Last edited:

huntnful

WKR
I'm not surprised but four of them?!

Any factors in common for the configurations, like similar rings/mounts or ring location?
At first we thought it was ARC rings (which they are problematic with their 55in tube torque spec) but then one did the same thing in a set of ZCO rings also. There is just something not durable about the parallax adjustment inside the scope.

4th_point

WKR
At first we thought it was ARC rings (which they are problematic with their 55in tube torque spec) but then one did the same thing in a set of ZCO rings also. There is just something not durable about the parallax adjustment inside the scope.
Awesome, thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear about the ZCO problems. Hopefully their customer service was painless.

It appears to me that there might be two problems with the 420 ZCO.

One is overall durability issues regarding the design, as you noted. That is most concerning to me, as there isn't much one can do about it. Except limit recoil, or round count, or both?

The other seems to be problems with robustness of the design to mounting, where the focusing mechanism gets affected (pinched). That is somewhat less concerning, but still disappointing.

huntnful

WKR
Their customer service was excellent. He had my scope back to me in under a week I think. I shipped it to their place in Oregon. He was aware of the issue, and did say it was an ARC ring issue more than anything, which I do believe is the case. But then it happened in the ZCO rings also.

Maybe if everything is mounted absolutely perfect there would be no issues. But that is rarely the case. Most people mounting $4000 scopes aren’t rookies either lol