QAD Drop away rest issues

gibby97

FNG
Just recently put this on my bow and noticed that the rest doesn’t always drop away and that I now have black marks on the 2 bottoms veins of my arrows, Is a timing issue or something wrong with the new rest? It’s tore 2 veins off so far as a result.

I’ve also noticed from time to time a loud smack noise like the string hit my arm however it didn’t, could this be the new rest hitting the riser or the fletching hitting the rest?

Looking for possible solutions.

Definitely sounds like a timing issue.

You should be able to see two white lines, one on the rest body, the other on the thingy you can use to cock the rest. I'm sure somewhere they have a recommendation of when they should line up, I can't remember that now. I usually have them align in the last 1-1.5 of the draw. I suspect yours are less than the last 3/4" if that.

That's atleast where I would start.

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
It sounds like a timing issue to me. Is it brand new? Was it installed by a shop or you? If shop have you turned the limb bolts up or down? That will effect timing. The instructions on the ones I've used have a specific place to tie in the activation cord. I can't remember off hand but Google will tell you. If it's a defective rest they are great company and will stand behind their product so 1 call will have it fixed. Good luck

OldGrayJB

WKR
That loud smack is most likely the fletchings hitting the launcher on the rest. Odd that it doesn't do it every time. Make sure your bow hand isn't touching the thumb actuator and stopping it from dropping as fast as it should.
Otherwise it needs to be retimed.

OP
G

gibby97

FNG
It sounds like a timing issue to me. Is it brand new? Was it installed by a shop or you? If shop have you turned the limb bolts up or down? That will effect timing. The instructions on the ones I've used have a specific place to tie in the activation cord. I can't remember off hand but Google will tell you. If it's a defective rest they are great company and will stand behind their product so 1 call will have it fixed. Good luck
New rest. And installed by the shop who seems to be reputable. I haven’t changed anything on the bow since i picked it up. Just think it’s strange that it doesn’t happen every shot, maybe every 5 shot or so.

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
Is the cord tied into the buss cable or is it setup with a football clamp? Maybe post a picture of the rest and cord so we can see if it's setup correctly. I'm sure it's timing

If the cord is through your cable and served top and bottom, try pulling a little of it out. From the burnt or knotted end. Not the rest side of activation cable. Anymore I haven't been doing anything with the end of the cable, just pull it through the cable with serving tight on top. There is enough tension in the cable to keep it from moving.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It originally was absolutely a timing issue. But after the vanes smack into the launcher enough times, you may now also have some internal parts issues as well.

OP
G

gibby97

FNG
Here are a couple of pics, you can see in the closeup where the veins are hitting. Seems to me when i manually take the rest down it is hard to move.

Attachments

• CA2E77EF-5BE3-4028-B8BC-A2EB6C702242.jpeg
    CA2E77EF-5BE3-4028-B8BC-A2EB6C702242.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 111
  • 3C51DAA2-54B8-467B-A399-BFDAA39AF7F4.jpeg
    3C51DAA2-54B8-467B-A399-BFDAA39AF7F4.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 5DABF4B5-2540-43E9-9765-9835836A05F2.jpeg
    5DABF4B5-2540-43E9-9765-9835836A05F2.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 108

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
I concur with 5milesback, I think initially you had a timing issue and now you have a broken rest issue. Do the white lines still line up at full draw? Or is it under or over rotated? That football clamp is easy to adjust so try that if the lines don't line up. If all fails call them, they are great and have an excellent warranty. I've sent 2 different ones back for service and it only cost me shipping. Good luck

Mtrain

FNG
I had a similar issue with mine. The way to test if it is adjustment or if the rest is faulty is to reset the cable length. The qad instructions tell you to set the length this way. First cock the rest as you would when loading an arrow so it is upright. The little plastic clamp that attaches to one of your cables has a screw in it. Lossen this a litttle so you can slide the clamp down till the string from the rest is tight. You want the clamp snug enough that when you draw the bow it will pull the launcher to the firing position but loose enough that once the launcher is at its maximum draw the clamp will then slide on the bus cable while you come to full draw. Once you have come to full draw the rest cable will be at the right position on the bus cable. You can then draw down the bow and tighten the screw in the clamp. If you have any problems with the rest after this then it is a faulty rest and not the adjustment. Hope that mad sense. Good luck

I had the same issue with a qad on my HOYT carbon spyder turbo. Fetching strikes, noise, turn up veins, etc. I would like to say I resolved it but I had two bow shops play with it and they couldn’t get it timed right.

I ended up selling the QAD and getting a limb driven rest. That bow wears a vapor trail and my newer bow wears a hameskea. No issues with either ever since.

Whitetailkiller80

Lil-Rokslider
Being an early QAD shooter for years after using a limb driven rest on my Hoyt I’ll never go back... Hamskea Trinity Pro Hunter all the way ..you’ll be happy you did check into them. Another good one is the Vaportrail Gen7X

OP
G

gibby97

FNG
Went to shop today and found out it was faulty. Put on a new QAD and shoots great. Thanks for all the help figuring out my issue.

ncavi8tor

WKR
Looking at the way it was setup, I wouldn't call that shop "reputable" at all!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk