Quality Tent on a Budget

As the title reads, I’m looking for a quality tent that equates to the best bang for my buck. Last few years, I’ve been using a SO Cimarron and quite frankly, it’s ok, however, a floor is a nicety we sometimes forget about.

With Black Friday deals amongst us I’m considering buying a 2p 3 season tent. I say ‘3 season’ lightly because weather can turn bad hence, a sturdy 3 season tent is what I’m alluding to.

Marmot’s on my radar since I receive a significant discount through them. Yet I’m also conscious about quality over a cheaply made product.

Any help/experience with your tent would be greatly appreciated.

Shameless plug for my Hilleberg in the classifieds!

But seriously, I'm still trying to figure out what is the best choice. I've used Hilleberg, Kuiu and Walmart and I can't decide what is the best choice for me. Roadside tent? Alaknak or trailer for me. Backpacking? It's a work in progress for me regardless of price.

OP
Tips n Tails
Shameless plug for my Hilleberg in the classifieds!

But seriously, I'm still trying to figure out what is the best choice. I've used Hilleberg, Kuiu and Walmart and I can't decide what is the best choice for me. Roadside tent? Alaknak or trailer for me. Backpacking? It's a work in progress for me regardless of price.
HAHA. I’ve had a Hilleberg as well.

I was even thinking about a SG Skyscraper or a Kuiu Mt Star/Storm but again I’ll circle back to “best bang for the buck” concept.

The Marmot Tungsten is heavy for a backpacking tent but what I like about it is the bathtub floor compared to the tarp and pole concept tent manufacturers seem to be going to these days.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
MSR is coming out with a new " Hubba" series tent in Jan or Feb ofr 2022. Supposed to be a bit lighter then the current Hubba NX's witha few other changes like door design.

Anyhow, probably a good bet the Hubba NX's will be dicounted when the new model hits the street.

colby12

WKR
I’ve got a Nemo Obi 3P which is decent for 2. Not terribly heavy, easy setup, and pretty durable. Stay dry in rainstorms, haven’t had it in the snow. Vestibules off both doors used with a tarp are pretty convenient for gear and boots. They don’t make it anymore but they’ve got some comparable tents.

Im holding out for a new model hubba hubba or a 2021 model depending on changes.I have had nemos,copper spurs and eureka.I also have a xmid 2 for backpacking.
I actually like the eureka the best for general camping were i wasnt counting ounces.It lasted 17 years.The nemo was ok and I didn’t like the copper spurs at all,i had a 2 and 3 person.They were nice and light but just to fragile for me.From what i here the msr is built a little beefier so that might be the sweet spot.I also love the freestanding aspect and used my eureka without stakes 70% of the time.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I really think for a poled tent, the SG skyscraper represents a real step up from a basic Big Agnes, marmot, sierra designs, MSR, etc 3 season tent. It should since it is a 4-season design. It is really big inside, really strong, and the reduced weight of it is a real advantage. BUT for bang for your buck, some have already mentioned Tarptent (sil fly models like double-rainbow, even stratospire isn’t super expensive), and the REI branded domes (https://www.rei.com/product/147863/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-sl-2-tent) seem to review really well. Marmot makes a decent shelter if you can tolerate the weight. Big Agnes products I have had have been good, but fragile and I sure wouldn’t want to depend on them in a shoulder fall/spring season where weather could turn quick.

I was just looking at the Seek Outside tents last night (Eolus and Silex) and they have some nice options - you get above that $400 mark pretty quick though, making them a little less affordable. Different, well-thought out designs though.

I’ve owned a great many 1 and 2 man tents. I think I would decide if you want poled or not poled to start. Then also rule in/out the tipi/mid style tents. If you want a poled tent, and it is 3-season, maybe pick a tolerable weight and work from there to trim options (or work from a price point). If you are wanting something to use a couple times a year, any marmot, REI etc will do. If you want something you can really depend on, or something a little lighter and still under $400, I’d take a hard look at what tarptent has going on as they have both pole and trek pole supported structures. For poled tents, if not buying Hillberg I always recommend the Slingfin/Stone Glacier 2p tent, as it does so much well for the weight, especially with the recent materials update to them. It is the only exterior fly (ie over the poles) design which I really care for, otherwise the exterior pole setups like Hilleberg or Kuiu are really handy.

Some readings for 2021 (these are just the most common review articles out there on the subject, which you have probably already been through).

this backpacking light gear shop (filter to shelters and then they list relevant data) is a useful way to look at lighter offerings, and they have a good swatch of tents/types

Voyageur

WKR
Have you decided anything yet, @Tips n Tails ? I've used my Tarptent Stratospire II on two AK hunts, in the BWCAW, ID, WY, and SD. It's been flown in, packed in on my back, and delivered to camp in a vehicle. I have zero complaints.

Have you decided anything yet, @Tips n Tails ? I've used my Tarptent Stratospire II on two AK hunts, in the BWCAW, ID, WY, and SD. It's been flown in, packed in on my back, and delivered to camp in a vehicle. I have zero complaints.
Ditto. Tallest of the Tarptents and very spacious...only 3.5lbs. I use mine solo...I like my space.

Ditto. Tallest of the Tarptents and very spacious...only 3.5lbs. I use mine solo...I like my space.

When Durston produces another run of the X-MID 2P you can get very similar tent for $200. Advantages are silpoly, which is hydrophobic and doesn't droop when cold. So you shake off the water instead of carrying some with you like you do with silnylon (hydrphilic). 2 square feet more vestibule space and 1 more square foot of floor space. 92 inches long floor vice 86. You do lose 2" under the fly height (46" vs 48").

It's 6 oz lighter. To me, the weight and fabric make it a better tent. Room is so close it's not a real factor. One of the easiest tents there is to set up is also a plus. Just make a rectangle. 4 stakes is all you need, or using 6 stakes includes staking out the vestibules. Single wall (fly only), double wall, or inner mesh only setups are easy. Better zippers. Better vents.

These advantages are not a coincidence. Dan Durston owned a Stratospire 2 for two years of hard backcountry use and designed the X-MID 2P to address what he perceived as the SS2 shortcomings.

Another big loss is that you are buying a product that is 100% produced in Vietnam. Excellent quality, but Tarptent is a full time American company that assembles and tests every tent here in the USA.

One of my favorite tents.
20200826_081558.jpg

Last edited:

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I'll second the Durston X-Mid. I've been using an X-Mid 1P for the last two years and it is by far my go to shelter.

OP
Tips n Tails

@Voyageur Yes, somewhat.

Firstly, I’ll point out my search is somewhat offset due to my profession and getting a generous discount from most outdoor companies.

Secondly, I’ll also mention you get what you pay for in quality. Therefore, by my recommendation and thought process below keep that in mind.

I like the SG 2p Skyscraper which is roughly 5 lbs rd numbers. Rip stop nylon for the tent body.

I’m currently using a SO Cimarron w/stove Jack. Poles and stake. 4 lbs rd numbers. No floor.

The Marmot tent is 4 lbs to 5lbs depending on tent model. Very similar height and floor space as the SG tent. Poly material for the tent body. Roughly $110 bucks for the Tungsten 2p. Also made in China.

I’ve also looked at RAB Latok Summit and BA tents.

Now with all this said, I’m still undecided however, I’m leaning towards a Marmot Tungsten (they also sell a UL version). I don’t have super high expectations but I like it uses regular tent poles vs. trekking poles and how they designed the live able space.

@Mike Islander - Dang. I really like the look of the Mid-X Pro. Even though it requires trekking poles. Tough decision. I watched Dans video and he mentioned it sheds snow. Do you have any experience of being in it and getting snowfall?

turley

Lil-Rokslider
TarpTents are designed, assembled, and hand checked in the U.S. but the DCF Li line is manufactured overseas. This is from their website:
"The Double Rainbow Li model you’re viewing is fabricated from USA-made Dyneema® fabric and produced in China at one of the world’s leading tent manufacturing facilities and home to many of the world’s major tent brands."
Regardless of where they're made the Durston X-Mid(s) and TarpTents are exceptionally well designed and produced.

Last edited:
I have a Marmot Tungsten 2p that I’ve used for the past several years, I’ve spent quite a few nights including ten nights in Idaho where we had some heavy rain and light snow but I’ve never had to test it in heavy winds. I’ve spent most of my time in it using it as a 2 person tent and I think it’s pretty well suited for two with it having dual vestibules and two doors

Overall I think it’s a pretty good value for the money but I’m heading to Alaska in September for a caribou hunt and picked up a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT mainly out of concern for high winds on the tundra

@Voyageur Yes, somewhat.

Firstly, I’ll point out my search is somewhat offset due to my profession and getting a generous discount from most outdoor companies.

Secondly, I’ll also mention you get what you pay for in quality. Therefore, by my recommendation and thought process below keep that in mind.

I like the SG 2p Skyscraper which is roughly 5 lbs rd numbers. Rip stop nylon for the tent body.

I’m currently using a SO Cimarron w/stove Jack. Poles and stake. 4 lbs rd numbers. No floor.

The Marmot tent is 4 lbs to 5lbs depending on tent model. Very similar height and floor space as the SG tent. Poly material for th tent body. Roughly $110 bucks for the Tungsten 2p. Also made in China.

I’ve also looked at RAB Latok Summit and BA tents.

Now with all this said, I’m still undecided however, I’m leaning towards a Marmot Tungsten (they also sell a UL version). I don’t have super high expectations but I like it uses regular tent poles vs. trekking poles and how they designed the live able space.

@Mike Islander - Dang. I really like the look of the Mid-X Pro. Even though it requires trekking poles. Tough decision. I watched Dans video and he mentioned it sheds snow. Do you have any experience of being in it and getting snowfall?
Not much snow in my neck of the woods. But a bunch of folks have used them on the AT and other through hikes.
20211102_175012.jpg