Question about Wyoming Elk??

Study draw results for 14 points and See how much they have averaged going up the last 3 years. That will let you know roughly units you have a shot at.

A unit that took 12 points this year will likely eat your 14 points next year.

If I were you - I’d pick areas that have 10-12 points this year to give you a decent shot next year. Don’t rely on 13 or 14 point areas that drew this year because likely you won’t bank them.

Then you’ll be looking to have 15 points and in the same predicament

Also - ask your self what type of hunt. Cold and hard hunt. Fall better weather hunt ? What range bull do you want? 300-330 ? 350+ ?

Gotta narrow down options. Figure out units and what dates they are. Then “re-ask” your question and you’ll likely get better answer

I do know about talking to wyo biologist and wardens that areas are changing next year (not just the general areas being relabeled).

Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being below max keeps you out of several top units. Knowing what type of bill you are looking for would help. With a guide and a ranch hunt you can do 300” bulls a lot of places. You need to define more of what you’re looking for.

Bull class?
Ranch, wall tent or horseback?
Archery or rifle?

Being below max outs you out of several top units. Knowing what type of bill you are looking for would help. With a guide and a ranch hunt you can do 300” bulls a lot of places. You need to define more of what you’re looking for.

Bull class?
Ranch, wall tent or horseback?
Archery or rifle?

I would go to Epic, Huntin Fool or one of the paid services and use their research to find a unit / Outfitter that matches your needs. I wouldn't waste 14 pts and all the time/money you have invested without getting the best input and use a good outfitter to maximize your experience.

It worked for me and I drew a good unit with 13 pts this year.

Decide what kind of hunt you want and go from there.
If you want a wilderness type hunt you may not need your 14 PP but an outfitter may use them to party app another hunter and give you a price break.
Not all areas with good elk hunting take near max PPs.
For a DIY hunt, then yes max PPs may help you get that better tag.

Actually you need to look at units that took 13 or fewer points this year. Point creep is real, and rarely minimum points needed stay the same from year to year.

Back