Question for the 301 Level Deer Hunters From a 201 Guy

elk_hntr

FNG
This is a question for the guys that get it done on 170+, mature type bucks year in and year out. @robby denning, I’m talking to you and the guys you talk about on the podcast and your books (Not Really Born a Hunter, Scotty, Dioni, Jordan, etc, etc), as well as any other guys doing what you guys are doing.

When you guys are looking for general or otc type deer tags, what exactly are you looking for as far as habitat, deer and hunting stats, and accessibility? Sounds like most of you have your go to units with a “better” unit drawn every few years. Are those go to units just off of a gut feel, or is there more to it than that?

I base a lot of my decisions on how often I can get a tag. If I can hunt the unit every year, or regularly, and it has some sort of history of producing BIG bucks (might even be 10-20 years ago) I’m interested.

As far as habitat, I hunt everything from high country, low country and everything in between. I prefer something that offers deer escapement or a chance to gain some years in age. I look for something that limits the average hunter effectiveness. That might be remote, steep, thick, weapon availability etc. The unit has also got to have a lot of public land so I can move around and hunt.

As far as other stats, I completely ignore success rates, % 4 point, number of other hunters, etc.

If I find a unit like that, and have openings in my schedule, I’m probably pursuing it.

I don’t think there is anything more valuable than hunting a place regularly, I prefer every single year. I’d trade even a 1 in 10 year type deer tag for a far less desirable unit that I have the chance to hunt 7-10 times out of 10 years every time.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I'm like Travis. I don't really look at stats as a primary factor in picking a unit. I try and spend most of my time in areas as close to me as possible. Even on out of state hunts I want the least amount of drive time possible. Scouting is the biggest advantage I can give myself and the closer I am the more time I can spend in the field. I also try really hard to developed and maintain friendships with people I meet in those areas. A friendly local is better than go hunt for unit information if you meet the right guy. The other big deciding factor is how often I can hunt it. Anything that takes more than 5 or so years isn't the best for me long term. Anything I learn there is not going to help me again for a long time. I want to hunt it as often as possible and figure out where the good bucks are in the bad unit.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Can't add much to what Dioni and Travis said.

Everything's changed. 10 years ago was using stats, points, hotspots but that's kinda played out now. And besides not being able to count on great units being drawn, they attract the best hunters/group hunters, and even turn less serious guys serious.

The OTC "it's not very good" mentality is about all you can count on. If you can't learn a unit, it's tough.

Marshfly

WKR
I listened to a Gohunt podcast recently where Brady Miller said the exact same thing as above. Hunt where you can hunt every year and learn that place like your back yard. When the same advice gets echoed over and over it's something to pay attention to.

Thanks for posting this thread. I'm really interested in getting significantly better at finding good mule deer bucks.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
The other thing I forgot to mention is that people spend a whole bunch of time energy and effort on things that only add incremental benefit. One common thing I've seen amongst all the guys who are consistently successful is that they are mule deer experts. They may not be able to tell you about ballistics they may not be able to describe why this insulation is better than that insulation or something to that effect. The one thing they all know inside out and upside down is how the deer act in the areas they hunt. Might not be able to explain why but when they make decisions it usually comes out right. The more time you spend watching deer the better off you will be. There's no amount of podcasts or books that can duplicate hours in the field. They can teach you a lot no doubt but that gut instinct comes from watching deer. The more you develop that gut feeling the faster you can weed through areas that aren't productive and find the good spots.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
I won't put myself in the same category as other mule deer hunters, but the most consistent success I have had is from knowing your unit or units. Casting too wide a net is a problem. Find a couple of units, learn everything you can about them from migration patterns to food sources at different times of the year.

Habitat wise, I've found non-glassable units to be my preference. Keep in mind, I hunt Montana the most, so I work around generous tag allocation and seasons. Visible deer get whacked early and often. The deer have to be able to get old somehow. If you exclude tag allocation for a draw unit as a factor and private land barriers. The bucks only get old in conjunction with cover, distance, or both.

Jeremy

OP
elk_hntr

elk_hntr

FNG
Some really good nuggets in these responses so far. I really appreciate you guys all giving your 2 cents. I’m picking up on a common thread from most of you, and that’s time. Time in the field during the hunt, and number of times you can go back to the unit year after year.

Another question for all of you, but especially @Travis Hobbs (I know you’ve owned and sold your own business). I’m at a time of my life where there me is a very valuable commodity (starting a family, and recently started a business that I’d like to grow). How do/ did you balance your hunting time in your 20s? My wife is truly a very supportive wife for not growing up in a hunting family. It does get hard on her towards the end of season as I’m trying to swing a weekend trip here and there after working 65 hours that week. Is it just part of the game, and slowly gets better, or do you guys have anything that you did that helped balance home, work and hunting life?

OP
elk_hntr

elk_hntr

FNG
The other thing I forgot to mention is that people spend a whole bunch of time energy and effort on things that only add incremental benefit. One common thing I've seen amongst all the guys who are consistently successful is that they are mule deer experts. They may not be able to tell you about ballistics they may not be able to describe why this insulation is better than that insulation or something to that effect. The one thing they all know inside out and upside down is how the deer act in the areas they hunt. Might not be able to explain why but when they make decisions it usually comes out right. The more time you spend watching deer the better off you will be. There's no amount of podcasts or books that can duplicate hours in the field. They can teach you a lot no doubt but that gut instinct comes from watching deer. The more you develop that gut feeling the faster you can weed through areas that aren't productive and find the good spots.
Thanks for responding!!

Do you try to meet people while you’re out hunting in those areas, or just if you happen to run into someone? Are you offering anything in return (gifts, info, taking them out to dinner, etc) that opens them more?

Marshfly

WKR
Some really good nuggets in these responses so far. I really appreciate you guys all giving your 2 cents. I’m picking up on a common thread from most of you, and that’s time. Time in the field during the hunt, and number of times you can go back to the unit year after year.

Another question for all of you, but especially @Travis Hobbs (I know you’ve owned and sold your own business). I’m at a time of my life where there me is a very valuable commodity (starting a family, and recently started a business that I’d like to grow). How do/ did you balance your hunting time in your 20s? My wife is truly a very supportive wife for not growing up in a hunting family. It does get hard on her towards the end of season as I’m trying to swing a weekend trip here and there after working 65 hours that week. Is it just part of the game, and slowly gets better, or do you guys have anything that you did that helped balance home, work and hunting life?
If you live in the west I would find a unit that meets the above criteria but ALSO has something that will attract your family to it during the summer for summer scouting. Think camping for some reason. Biking, rafting, hiking, mushroom foraging, something to get you out there during the times outside of hunting season.

Still taking a ton of notes over here...

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Thanks for responding!!

Do you try to meet people while you’re out hunting in those areas, or just if you happen to run into someone? Are you offering anything in return (gifts, info, taking them out to dinner, etc) that opens them more?
I don't go out of my way to meet people but seems like I run into one or two guys a year on out of state hunts that I end up becoming friends with. The overwhelming majority of people I run into are good folks and I just try and be friendly with them. If they're locals and seem like good hunters I make a point of trying to exchange numbers and then visit with them periodically. I do share info especially if it's not a place I'm going to get to come back to all the time.

bigmoose

WKR
I've heard somebody say something to the effect of....

If you want to consistently kill big deer, you may never go elk (or other species) hunting again.

They are just that dedicated to hunting mule deer.
Oh yeah. The quickest way to ruin a deer hunt is to kill a bull. Especially if you're down in some hole or two or three miles from the road. Even with horses, you're going to lose valuable time.

On the other hand, if you're deer hunting and run into elk hunters, ask them about the deer/bucks they've seen. Often you'll get some good intel on a big buck they've seen or heard about. I'll take any information I can get to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@robby denning I think it was you who said that, but didn't want to misquote you
Haha. Me and more than a few others.

But now that I’m hunting cow elk I guess I have to back track that lol.

That mentality especially applied when my kids were little and I just didn’t have that much time but now that they’re older I’ve got a little more time and that’s one reason I’ve been picking up cow elk plus in many places there so many elk over onjective.

*edit plus the cow elk opportunity gives me one more chance for time afield with my son.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

On the other hand, if you're deer hunting and run into elk hunters, ask them about the deer/bucks they've seen. Often you'll get some good intel on a big buck they've seen or heard about. I'll take any information I can get to put the pieces of the puzzle together.
hot tip

bigmoose

WKR
I've heard somebody say something to the effect of....

If you want to consistently kill big deer, you may never go elk (or other species) hunting again.

They are just that dedicated to hunting mule deer.
One of the problems in this day and age is drawing a deer tag. I've elk hunted units that I thought I would draw in the future when I don't have a deer tag just to scout them out for deer. My concentration is always on big bucks.