Question for the tikka junkies

JWP58

WKR
If a guy had a t3x superlite in 270win, and wanted it rebarreled to 6mm creedmoor...

Would he need to just buy a barrel, have a 'smith install it, and run short action mags? Or would he need to change the bolt stop out too?

Or maybe a 6.5x47...

khuber84

WKR
Proof research and patriot Valley Arms sell pre-fit barrels, alls you'd need is an action wrench. I have heard that Tikka factory barrels are torqued by giants tho, often a relief cut is needed.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No need to change the bolt stop even if you choose to run short action mags, but as noted you can run long action mags too. Are you wanting a 6.5 in general or the cheaper ammo creedmor? I'd be inclinded for a 6.5x284 :)

Tbuckus

WKR
If a guy had a t3x superlite in 270win, and wanted it rebarreled to 6mm creedmoor...

Would he need to just buy a barrel, have a 'smith install it, and run short action mags? Or would he need to change the bolt stop out too?

Or maybe a 6.5x47...
Barrel only.
I’m changing the exact same rifle you have to a creed. My Smith did the same thing to his but in a 260ai. He said the creed wasn’t popular then and would go creed if he had a choice back then.
He said changing bolt stop and mag is not needed. Feeding should be fine.

Curious what it would cost to buy a barrel and have this done. Anybody have a rough estimate?

4ester

WKR
I had a 6.5 Creed built off a 30-06 T3x. I use the original mags and bolt stop and it feeds like butter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
J

JWP58

WKR
Thanks for the clarification. I'm torn between waiting to see if they'll offer 6mm creed, or just making one. Or a fast twist 243

Thanks for the clarification. I'm torn between waiting to see if they'll offer 6mm creed, or just making one. Or a fast twist 243

If I were a betting man I'd say if you wait for tikka to start chambering in 6 creed it's not going to happen.. But as soon as you drop the money on a rebarrel, get ready for the 6 creed press release 😁

nc358007

FNG
Another option to look at is carbonsix prefits.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Kevin87

FNG
Just rebarrel. Aftermarket steel barrel runs around $350. You can get a Proof or Carbonsix prefit for $795.

Has anyone used a shouldered pre fit from PVA? I see they started offering them for Tikkas.

OP
J

JWP58

WKR
Has anyone used a shouldered pre fit from PVA? I see they started offering them for Tikkas.

I was just going to bump this thread with the exact same question. I'm looking at going with a pva prefit in 6 creed or 6.5x47 lapua.

16Bore

WKR
I’d make sure I’m getting some sort of return on my hard earned money. Unless you just got extra laying around and want to play.

Your best bet would be to trip the 270 and get a 6.5 CM. Put the jingle on your pocket.

If it were me, I’d roll 129 LRX’s in the 270 and laugh my ass off all the way to the meat pile.

OP
J

JWP58

WKR
I’d make sure I’m getting some sort of return on my hard earned money. Unless you just got extra laying around and want to play.

Your best bet would be to trip the 270 and get a 6.5 CM. Put the jingle on your pocket.

If it were me, I’d roll 129 LRX’s in the 270 and laugh my ass off all the way to the meat pile.

I'll never assert or claim a rebarrel makes monetary sense. Just want something different.

The .270 is getting the nod this season. Too late, and too many tags to fill to change now. This will be a winter project.

16Bore

WKR
Roger that....

Maybe by then Tikka will get a wild hair and do a 6CM SuperLite.

THAT would be a handy package right there.

jmsdad

Lil-Rokslider

I ordered one in 6.5PRC when they had their 6.5mm Dog Days of Summer barrel sale a few weeks ago. This is with Rock Creek barrels and total was $375 delivered. Ship date is Sept 1.

I have been switching factory CTR barrels for a couple of years with my Tikka. With 4 factory barrels, (1 sporter, 3CTR--260Rem, 6.5Creed, .308) all have headspaced correctly, but the caliber/roll marks doesn't line up. Easiest switch barrel setup.

OP
J

JWP58

WKR
I ordered one in 6.5PRC when they had their 6.5mm Dog Days of Summer barrel sale a few weeks ago. This is with Rock Creek barrels and total was $375 delivered. Ship date is Sept 1.

I have been switching factory CTR barrels for a couple of years with my Tikka. With 4 factory barrels, (1 sporter, 3CTR--260Rem, 6.5Creed, .308) all have headspaced correctly, but the caliber/roll marks doesn't line up. Easiest switch barrel setup.

Please let us know how it turns out