Question for those that have taken shots on Dall’s

I'd bring a Spartan bipod. It's worth the weight if you get in a controlled situation. Which is not far-fetched for an NWT sheep hunt.

Definitely prepare for awkward seated/kneeling positions off your backpack as well. Try to set your range limits for each position before you go. i.e. 300 yards seated w/pack, 400 yards prone, etc.

I’ve personally killed one, been on a lot. Mine was prone, most I’ve seen are prone or like a sitting leaning into rocks. Two have been off a tripod. Out of 15 rams. I would really recommend a bipod.. some folks won’t take one and rely on their backpack but you aren’t always gonna have your backpack. I for one am very set on one because we had to sneak in quickly and I didn’t have time to set a pack up or gather a jacket. Was very happy I had one.

I had planned on shooting off a pack but when the time came, the terrain wasn't allowing for a prone shot, we were busted, and I ended up free handing it at 140 yards. Just practice from a variety of positions and a pack and try to not overthink it, your guide is most likely going to put you in a fine position.

I thought about bringing a bipod but it wasn't worth the extra weight, a pack is all you need for the ranges you'll shoot in the NWT. Most of the outfitters up there want clients taking shots 300 yards and in.

I shot my Dall in 1999 in the MacKenzie Mtns in Canada's Northwest Territory. It was a backpack hunt where they flew my guide and I out from base camp. First morning from spike camp, we walked around the mountain above our camp, and spotted 5 feeding rams. I immediately saw the ram that I wanted.

We snuck up a draw in the bottom of that valley to 206 yards from the rams. One prone shot from my .257 Ackley with a 117 gr Sierra GameKing bullet dropped him. Both horns were just 1/4" shy of 40". It was an uphill shot and I didn't use a bipod. The bullet exit hole is the dark dot under his left horn.
6Wkui3Xl.jpg

I had planned on shooting off a pack but when the time came, the terrain wasn't allowing for a prone shot, we were busted, and I ended up free handing it at 140 yards. Just practice from a variety of positions and a pack and try to not overthink it, your guide is most likely going to put you in a fine position.

I thought about bringing a bipod but it wasn't worth the extra weight, a pack is all you need for the ranges you'll shoot in the NWT. Most of the outfitters up there want clients taking shots 300 yards and in.
I can't imagine a freehand shot over 100 yards that's incredible!

13 personal, 32 guided.........all 100 percent prone supported with field improvisions. Avg of all 45 rams under 300yd.........shortest being 78yds, longest being 604yds. And I have NEVER been required to make a "back up guide" shot either.......which I am strongly against doing unless wounded and headed for unrecoverable terrain, fortunately I never have had to do this.

If it is not perfect, I or my client waits. I have NEVER been guiding a client or on a personal hunt situation that if I didn't have the time to get into a good prone shooting position, I would not have had a shot opportunity present itself with a reasonable amount of patience.

All shots are either over a laid down pack that I can stretch out and get in a good prone position with an improvised "field" rear support or off of a Harris bi-pod with the same type of improvised "field" rear support. I have NEVER lost a personal or client ram due to improper hits which is directly related to taking the time to get into a good, supported field prone position. I have had clients fight me on this in the field, but in the end, they were very much appreciated I insisted they take the time or have the patience to take a reliable first round hit prone supported shot. Most of the times ensuring they dry fire on the ram three to four times prior to executing the kill shot.

250 yards bipod on rock, then 40 yards, 40 yards, 40 yards, 40 yards standing. Same ram 😆. I like to shoot until they’re on the ground…

There is some great feedback here and I’m glad @j3butch asked the question to start the thread. I do have a Spartan tripod so not nearly as heavy as some other bipod options so I’ll have to think some more about benefits vs weight.

Overall my biggest takeaway is the need to get out to the hills and practice awkward shot positions. Also I really like the comment above from @cbeard64 …don’t get too stressed just because it’s a sheep vs a forkie or cow elk. Excellent advice for sure.

I've shot a few prone, one off sticks, a couple sitting and resting on a rock, one standing, a couple off the spotter tripod, one from a bush/tree, a couple off a backpack. Seems like a little bit of everything.

No shots on sheep yet, but I’ll be in the NWT in August too. I’ll have my spartan bipod, davros head for my Tricer tripod and I’ll also be prepared to shoot off my pack or trekking poles. Who’s your outfitter?

My son shot his Cali in Oregon last year with a tripod and an Anvil-30 on top. It was rock solid and he shot 240 yards and anchored him right there. I had him practicing prone off a backpack, kneeling with the tripod, standing with the tripod, sitting with it, and I would get him in funky positions shooting just to make sure he was used to making do with what he could. I’d also make him do jumping jacks or short sprints to get his heart rate up. When he got your basic kneeling shot with the tripod on the sheep it was easier than his practice shots.

I drew a desert tag this year and will be practicing the same way.

I have had clients fight me on this in the field, but in the end, they were very much appreciated I insisted they take the time or have the patience to take a reliable first round hit prone supported shot. Most of the times ensuring they dry fire on the ram three to four times prior to executing the kill shot.
My only dall was prone. My guide insisted on a dry firing which really calmed my nerves.

kneeling and using backpack frame for a rest. Needed the backpack to gain elevation so shot would clear rocks in front of us.

Back