Quietest bow???

OP
Justin Byers
Sometimes they just jump, could have also saw the release and jumped. I’ve killed elk at 10 yards that didn’t react to the shot and have had them spin at 40+. You will never make a bow quiet enough to matter and the arrow flying toward them will almost always be louder than the bow.
For sure. It was an extraordinarily quiet morning with no wind and no noise from calling, etc. his head was down and he was feeding. He never saw me or the release. Didn’t even move till the arrow was almost there. I have video of it and my bow is loud, and I have noticed it more as I started paying attention.

OP
Justin Byers
Just out of curiosity, what speed are you getting?

Yeah, 9 years is a decent jump for sure. Not mind blowing - but a difference. I just picked up a 2022 model after years with my 2016. I was actually surprised at how well my old bow held up draw cycle, speed, noise, etc. It's so negligible it made me question buying it lol
I think I’m around 280fps at 585 grains

nphunter

WKR
For sure. It was an extraordinarily quiet morning with no wind and no noise from calling, etc. his head was down and he was feeding. He never saw me or the release. Didn’t even move till the arrow was almost there. I have video of it and my bow is loud, and I have noticed it more as I started paying attention.

I've always felt like my bows are loud, however, I've killed a couple of bulls where my hunting partner who was calling for me 30 yards away didn't even know that I shot. One time I shot a bull that was between us and the bull ran about 40 yards and fell over dead 10 yards from my buddy, he called me on the phone and asked me if I shot a bull. I missed an antelope in 2022 that was drinking from a water hole, there was a group of like 10 of them and I shot right under him, they all looked up for a few seconds and went right back to drinking and I put one through his lungs. I was shooting a 500gr arrow 280fps, I also had a bull spin on me mid bugle with that bow and I ended up with a frontal at 40 yards. I know my previous bow was loud it was 77lbs shooting a 410gr arrow at 315fps, I don't remember one animal ever jumping the string with that bow from 10-80 yards, I killed more animals with that bow than any other bow but also shot it for 7yrs.

I wouldn't let it get in your head.

Currently shooting 2015 hoy Nitrum bu am noticing it seems to be getting loud. Thinking about trying out a Mathews, as they seem pretty darn quiet, dead in the hand, and smooth. What's your opinions on the quietest bow in the last 2-3 years-current?

Surprised they actually don't advertise as the most quiet.... It would be a great selling point I would think.
Mathews have been consistently silent for the past several years, haven’t shot the lift, but I assume it is as well

If silent was my primary focus, I would probably start there. Like mentioned, accessories can be noisy too, so take that into consideration when buying them

I had an rx1 and a triax when the triax came out, it was impressively quiet, but when I put my titespot on, it had a pretty loud buzz, and the rx1 with the same quiver didn’t, it was a strange thing considering the triax had no perceived vibration and the rx1 did, you would think it would make the quiver more loud.

OP
Justin Byers
Just out of curiosity, what speed are you getting?

Yeah, 9 years is a decent jump for sure. Not mind blowing - but a difference. I just picked up a 2022 model after years with my 2016. I was actually surprised at how well my old bow held up draw cycle, speed, noise, etc. It's so negligible it made me question buying it lol
I believe I'm around 280-285 fps.... That's with a 585 grain arrow. I doubt I would pick up much speed if any, but really want to test out a few different models and compare them feel and noise wise to my current setup. I shot a Mathews, Bowtech, PSE, and Hoyt 2 summers ago and was impressed with the feel and quiet of the Mathews. I certainly am not a new bow every year kind of guy, but after close to a decade feel that the upgrade might be worth a look see.

Bump79

WKR
I believe I'm around 280-285 fps.... That's with a 585 grain arrow. I doubt I would pick up much speed if any, but really want to test out a few different models and compare them feel and noise wise to my current setup. I shot a Mathews, Bowtech, PSE, and Hoyt 2 summers ago and was impressed with the feel and quiet of the Mathews. I certainly am not a new bow every year kind of guy, but after close to a decade feel that the upgrade might be worth a look see.
That's a wicked setup man! Yeah, going faster won't help anything from that speed. Neither will adding weight realistically to quite it down.

I was curious as some people like to make claims that speed and time of flight don't matter in animal movement. Something I've yet to seen ground in reality and just intuitively doesn't make sense.

dtrkyman

WKR
I just listened to Paige Pearce on a podcast talking about a dramatic difference in some new AAE vanes, she talked about an Africa trip and claimed animals were simply not reacting to the arrow at all as they did on previous trips.

Funny how so many people talk about the bow noise yet many pro's who hunt a lot like a quiet fast arrow in flight, it is an interesting debate for sure.

Typically string jumping is at shorter distances due to the proximity of the animal to the bow noise, often when they are further they simply look towards the noise instead, but the combo of bow noise and noisy vanes.

I do know that Blazers a really loud!

Last summer at a 3D shoot, someone in my group commented on how quiet my 2013/14 Mission was. I had it for a decade, shot it well, and it was dirt cheap but I always felt like it was somewhat slow.

I had new bow envy for awhile and finally bought a "new" V3X around Christmas. Initially, I was underwhelmed by the "upgrade" for the cost. I'm not sure that it's more quiet but there is much less hand shock at the shot and my arrow speed is exactly the same.

Ehunter56

FNG
Like alot of guys have said, I'd check the bow over top to bottom, tighten everything, and shoot again. Bought a new top of the line Bowtech last year due to shoulder injury, and it is louder, with more vibration/hand shock than my 2014-2015 Obsession Evolutions. It does draw smoother though, and that's what I was looking for. Couple of the guys I shoot with have new bows that are no better, or worse than those old Obsessions.

I’ve had tons of Hoyts over the years, the one thing to check for if timing was good is the bearings on the cams. They can dry out and then get a buzz- it can add some pretty perceptible sound. If you have a press you can re pack those bearings with bearing grease or white lithium grease. It’s not as tough as it sounds. Also those limb pockets could use a dab as well.

I feel like a lot of the noise we perceive is also from a rest slapping the riser or just dropping creating a twang sound as well. I also found adjusting the string stop perfectly helped a bunch.

Swampwise

FNG
I've checked mine with an app on my phone before. The best I got with my Mathews V3X was 81.2 but most shots were 82. My best with my Bear Refine was 81.4 and most were 82 also. Same with the Execute 32, best was 81.6 and most being 82. Shoot 463 grain arrows with these bows. The old Bear Moment with 495 grain arrow was always 82. Xpedition Xscape 80# bow with 565 grain arrow was consistently 84 decibels. Haven't checked my other bows but I bet they're close to the others.

Beendare

WKR
I shot an Oneida screaming eagle back in the day, and I swear I would have to lead animals to hit them with that bow. It made a loud slap something terrible, a string, jumping machine. I can tell you with absolute certainty, Bow noise matters.

Now a days, bows are all pretty quiet. We never really hear, ‘The Rest of the Story” as Paul Harvey used to say- The circumstances around these string jumps.

Don’t you think an animal staring at you makes a difference?

So many guys grunt to stop deer with them staring right at them on the shot…or guys calling elk that come in searching and make them On the shot. I think that exacerbates some of the string jumps.

Even then, sometimes these critters are wound tight.
I had a Coues deer jump the string on my quiet recurve…no clue I was there…but it was a warm dead silent morning, no wind or environmental noise at all- it happens. Another time with a light breeze, a few leaves blowing…a Coues buck never moved until the arrow was through him.

Currently shooting 2015 hoy Nitrum bu am noticing it seems to be getting loud. Thinking about trying out a Mathews, as they seem pretty darn quiet, dead in the hand, and smooth. What's your opinions on the quietest bow in the last 2-3 years-current?

Surprised they actually don't advertise as the most quiet.... It would be a great selling point I would think.
Yes Matthews seem to be quieter. You could also switch fletchings and add a little weight to your arrows. Maybe add a new stabilizer and even a back bar. All can quiet down your bow substantially without to much impact on performance.