Quietest DSLR type of camera

I'm looking for a recommendation from fellow hunters with experience taking a camera in to the field where the shutter is fairly quiet. I tried taking a little bit older model Canon Rebel in to the field last year to snap a couple of pics on a hunt with a friend and early in, the camera shutter was so loud in the quiet that I decided to not even try it should we come up on anything. I've tried a couple of others in the store, but they seem so loud as well.

I'll use this for wildlife, landscape, and capturing hunting videos (also very important - high quality video) while out with friends and family, but also as a family photo shooter as well for vacations and such.

Any recommendations???

OP
A
The new Sony A7 III cameras have a silent shutter feature which I’ve found to be really nice

Is it considerably quieter than the Canon's? I don't think I tried the Sony's. Is it a feature that you have to turn on and off, or it's just the normal shutter noise as a standard feature? I'll check it out. Thank you!

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
mirrorless. No mirror to slap.

I shoot a Nikon DSLR so not familiar with the mirrorless models but they should be quieter.

Image quality is as much the glass (lenses) as the camera. A sealed body is also important to deal with the elements.

Mirrorless, Sony A7rII can be had for a great deal, can definitely find them used for under 1k. If I was only to pick one lens to use it would be the Sony 24-70 f2.8 GM lens.

Mike 338

WKR
Steven Drake is a professional photographer that specializes in outdoor stuff. Check out his YouTube channel. He specifically switched to another brand of camera because of the silent feature. He say's it makes a very big difference in his wildlife photography. Didn't want to use the term "gamechanger"!

Last edited:
Mirrorless, Sony A7rII can be had for a great deal, can definitely find them used for under 1k. If I was only to pick one lens to use it would be the Sony 24-70 f2.8 GM lens.

If weight isn't a huge issue this is a very good suggestion; that GM lens is a heavy sucker though excellent. I suppose the size of the body somewhat makes up for the lens though. Alternatively you could go with a prime lens or 2 such as the Batis and save quite a bit of weight.

Keep in mind the A7rII eats batteries like it's going out of style, you'll need a few. For some reason Sony chose to put a little battery in them.

If weight isn't a huge issue this is a very good suggestion; that GM lens is a heavy sucker though excellent. I suppose the size of the body somewhat makes up for the lens though. Alternatively you could go with a prime lens or 2 such as the Batis and save quite a bit of weight.

Keep in mind the A7rII eats batteries like it's going out of style, you'll need a few. For some reason Sony chose to put a little battery in them.

Yep, I've got 12 batteries for that sucker. An A7rIII would be awesome but a 3k body isnt appealing.

I do agree on the primes

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
Probably any mirrorless. I moved from Pentax to Olympus about a year and a half ago, and am happy with the switch. Silent shutter works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rawmeat

FNG
I use an Olympus em1 mk2 and 12-100mm f4. Lens is fantastic and the setup weighs about 3 lb total. I never use anything but the silent shutter. A silent shutter is silent. It makes the same amount of noise taking a photo as it does turned off.

Your phone is silent, has better video, and likely just as good of photos as an older rebel.