Quilt on a cot?

geriggs

WKR
Heading to AK this year for moose. I have a katabatic sawatch quilt but even though its treated im nervous about using down for 12 days in the bush. Once I'm there I cant change it. Anyway im thinking about getting an EE quilt with Apex climashield. I have a thermarest foam/blowup pad (Trail pro). Would you guys use a quilt on a cot or just go with a bag? Weight is a little consideration. I am allowed 100 pounds with Papa Bear (clothes, food, ammo, weapon, sleeping stuff). Thanks

WoodBow

WKR
Would depend on temps. I'm running an apex insulated quilt with an insulated pad on my luxurylite if temps are around freezing.

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
average lows in mid 30s. but i would plan for worse in the 20s.

bbrown

WKR
I use my 20* and 40* EE Prodigy quilts on cots all the time but always run a large wide Xtherm pad. I plan on running the 20* and Xtherm combo next fall on my moose hunt up there with Papa Bear.

Last weekend a couple buddies and I went to check out a new area and look for sheds. Since the over night lows were only supposed to be in the mid 30's and no chance for precipitation we decided to skip setting up my 8 man and sleep under the stars. Not sure what the actual low was for the night but when we woke up the temp was showing 16* and I definitely pushed the limits on my 20*. Ended up wearing my clothes and puffy to bed figuring I would shed them when I got how which didn't happen but my body never got cold. My head was ok with a beanie and tucking inside the quilt for most the night. My feet got cold which wasn't a surprise as I have always struggled to keep my feet warm regardless of bag or quilt when the temps dip.

Didn't help I set up the cot on a bit of a slope so I spent a lot of the night trying not to slide of the cot and my feet where hanging off the end for most of the night. I'm going to blame the Tin Cup whiskey for this...

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
thanks for the info. Good luck with papa bear next year. this will be my first trip this year, super stoked.

Cots are no issue but I take my 0* EE quilt on all but summer treks. Quilts provide easy venting options but you cannot make a sleeping bag or quilt warmer than it is rated for. Cold kills sleep and that kills your trip. Besides, sleeping a bit warmer helps the muscles recover and reduces the chance of cramping. I take a pad with 5 or 6 R rating too. If you expect severe weather, nothing wrong with synthetic. I got my down bag wet falling in a creek crossing and froze my nuts off that night. I am much more careful how I pack now and take synthetic on trips with wet weather.

Chaska

FNG
I have used pads and cots but now that I have an Exped Megamat I will never consider a cot again. The Megamat is long, wide and deep. Cots are always short and narrow. Sleeping on the large mat is as good as the bed in my home. After all day of climbing up and down mountain sides it is without question the best luxury I can bring (well, the horses carry it). A decent night's rest makes all the difference. It's bulky, but no worse than a cot and way more comfortable. If I had to choose, I would leave the espresso maker behind just so I could keep the Exped, maybe even the rifle.