Quilt vs Bag

Houseminer

Lil-Rokslider
check out the economy quilts from Hammock Gear Less than $200,
My wife was a quilt skeptic for years. She’s a cold sleeper, but will probably never go back to a mummy bag again. It just takes some practice to manage drafts, and most experienced quilt users who spend enough time with them have few complaints.

Drenalin

WKR
El Coyote is another to look at. If you have questions Brian will likely be quick to answer.
I'll second El Coyote. I moved to them from Katabatic. No issues with Katabatic, I just needed a lower temp rating and decided to try El Coyote. They are neck and neck for me (and are comfort rated). I've been happier with these two than I was with the Enlightened Equipment I had.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a bag that opens fully.
I would personally never buy a bag that had a closed foot box, i.e. you can't open it all the way up. Don't tell guys a bag that opens all the way up is essentally a quilt though, because some people love to hate quilts! I only sleep with my bag zipped up when it's cold, otherwise I use it as a blanket.

Tried a quilt very briefly and a couple nights of failing at draft management (with plenty of extra length/weight in my quilt) led to my quilt experiment quickly ending. WM alpinlite is just too easy and comfy for me to dick with other stuff.

check out the economy quilts from Hammock Gear Less than $200,
My wife was a quilt skeptic for years. She’s a cold sleeper, but will probably never go back to a mummy bag again. It just takes some practice to manage drafts, and most experienced quilt users who spend enough time with them have few complaints.
Where do you see hammock gear for $200. I just did a 20 degree regular wide, 850 fill and it is $350.

gostovp

WKR
Tried a quilt very briefly and a couple nights of failing at draft management (with plenty of extra length/weight in my quilt) led to my quilt experiment quickly ending. WM alpinlite is just too easy and comfy for me to dick with other stuff.
I have an AlpinLite as well and it's such an awesome bag I'm thinking about putting my brand new 30 degree Enlightened Equipment Apex quilt for sale in the classifieds....I just don't see myself ever using it except for MAYBE as a quilt over my bag if I'm ever camping in really cold conditions or maybe in really warm temps?

jwiltx

FNG
I just purchased a quilt from a company on Etsy, supposedly rated for 20(F), but I haven't gotten to test it in colder weather. The one I got is wider and has small elastic cord to keep it attached to a sleeping pad. It worked well in moderate temps because I could fold the top down (like a blanket) if I got too warm, where my sleeping bag (Vietnam-era military down sleeping bag) doesn't give me a lot of flexibility on that.

There's one company that sells good quality quilts on Etsy and I found another that makes bags, and they're way cheaper than anything else I've seen online for 800+ FP down.

I just purchased a quilt from a company on Etsy, supposedly rated for 20(F), but I haven't gotten to test it in colder weather. The one I got is wider and has small elastic cord to keep it attached to a sleeping pad. It worked well in moderate temps because I could fold the top down (like a blanket) if I got too warm, where my sleeping bag (Vietnam-era military down sleeping bag) doesn't give me a lot of flexibility on that.

There's one company that sells good quality quilts on Etsy and I found another that makes bags, and they're way cheaper than anything else I've seen online for 800+ FP down.
Personally I’d be a bit concerned with an Etsy quilt. True rated temp ratings and backing of some of the larger companies is key for me. I don’t like to risk my sleep.

jwiltx

FNG
Personally I’d be a bit concerned with an Etsy quilt. True rated temp ratings and backing of some of the larger companies is key for me. I don’t like to risk my sleep.
I don't risk my sleep either, but the guy making them has about a thousand reviews with several people talking about how comfortable they were into temps in the teens. I'm not using it for a backcountry hunt without testing it locally (public land, hunter camp...essentially car camping, so I can bring my bag as a backup), but I figured it was worth a gamble for the price, weight, and supposed performance.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I'll second El Coyote. I moved to them from Katabatic. No issues with Katabatic, I just needed a lower temp rating and decided to try El Coyote. They are neck and neck for me (and are comfort rated). I've been happier with these two than I was with the Enlightened Equipment I had.

Brian was awesome… he was timely and responsive to all of my questions that one would have regarding their first purchase of a quilt.

Couldn’t have been happier! Thanks Brian!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk