Quilt vs Bag

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Going along what @Jordan Budd said- say you purchase a 20 degree down bag AND a 40 degree synthetic quilt- early season (with appropriate temps) take the 40 degree quilt, a little later when it cools- grab the 20 degree bag, when it gets really cold- bring both. Put the quilt (synthetic) on the outside where body moisture might collect, keeping your down bag dry and at full loft.

A 40 degree quilt + a 20 degree bag together should put you in the -5 range, possibly a little lower.

I've used this chart on numerous combinations and it's pretty close.

quilt layering.png

Get a ZenBivy if you don't want to deal with drafts but still have the freedom to move of a quilt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just ordered the Zenbivy Lite 10 degree system this weekend. It wasn’t cheap, but I struggle with restless legs so bad in the backcountry confined in a mummy bag. Hoping this is the answer for me. I’m desperate and will try anything at this point for good sleep.

Steelhead

FNG
I could never stand mummy bags, but I'm a restless sleeper and could never get truly comfortable with the foot box space or having my head in the hood, I would always end up rolling off my sleeping pad at some point of the night...but I've got issues LOL.
Been using quilts for the past 5 years, both open foot box and closed. Love 'em.
There is a risk of getting a draft but at least with the Katabatic ones you can nearly fully close the opening, but yea I have had a small trickle of cold air at times, particularly when it gets well below freezing and I'm too sleepy to adjust and fix the draft. Both mine are 15 degree with some added down. Overall I've never been uncomfortable through, say October here in Idaho.
I do agree there are limits that aren't worth pushing though. November, when/if there's a couple feet of snow on the ground and doesn't get out of the low-20's during the daytime I'm bringing something bombproof.

I roll around a ton and side sleep. Went to a quilt last year and love it. Make sure to get a wide version for adequate coverage. I can recommend El Coyote quilts without hesitation.

Yes, they are amazing quality but still prefer a sleeping bag. I have a brand new never slept in El Coyote 20 regular/wide for sale in the classifieds.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
i use both, but my quilt is a twin-size cotton flat sheet. Love it for warm and cold nights. Makes a huge difference in both climates.

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to quilts a few years ago and haven’t wanted to go back to bags. I mainly use floorless shelters and run a bivy. The bivy has straps that hold my pad in place, quilt has straps that go around the pad. Everything stays nice and organized, and I can move freely. One thing with a quilt is I need to sleep in clothes, bare skin on the sleeping pad is not comfortable. With the bivy/20degree quilt combo I stay comfortable into single digits using clothing layers I already have with me.
When I used to use a bag I would wake up twisted and half off my pad, usually pressed up against the shelter wall getting condensation on my bag.
The bivy/ quilt combo alleviates that problem.
I didn’t see anyone mention use with a bivy.
They can be super light, protect your pad and quilt, cuts down on drafts and keeps bugs out. Good luck with your search.
T2F

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to quilts a few years ago and haven’t wanted to go back to bags. I mainly use floorless shelters and run a bivy. The bivy has straps that hold my pad in place, quilt has straps that go around the pad. Everything stays nice and organized, and I can move freely. One thing with a quilt is I need to sleep in clothes, bare skin on the sleeping pad is not comfortable. With the bivy/20degree quilt combo I stay comfortable into single digits using clothing layers I already have with me.
When I used to use a bag I would wake up twisted and half off my pad, usually pressed up against the shelter wall getting condensation on my bag.
The bivy/ quilt combo alleviates that problem.
I didn’t see anyone mention use with a bivy.
They can be super light, protect your pad and quilt, cuts down on drafts and keeps bugs out. Good luck with your search.
T2F
What r value pad did you use?
My current pad is 4.5 R value and wondering how cold I can comfortably take it if I jump in to a quilt (thinking about pulling the trigger in the next few weeks to try one) just wondering if I'll need a warmer pad too.
(I haven't really used the current pad down that low with a regular sleeping bag either to be fair. Assuming if it works with a bag, it should work and stay just as warm with a quilt)

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Tahoe1305

WKR
Going along what @Jordan Budd said- say you purchase a 20 degree down bag AND a 40 degree synthetic quilt- early season (with appropriate temps) take the 40 degree quilt, a little later when it cools- grab the 20 degree bag, when it gets really cold- bring both. Put the quilt (synthetic) on the outside where body moisture might collect, keeping your down bag dry and at full loft.

A 40 degree quilt + a 20 degree bag together should put you in the -5 range, possibly a little lower.

View attachment 535691
I use this method and tested quilt bag combo a good amount.

I’d say my 30d bag and 40 deg quilt matches that chart nearly perfect. I had it at 10d with a 4.9 pad last week. Was surprisingly comfy. Guessing would be close to zero. That was with light weight base layer only.

More surprisedly that combo only weighs 2.5lbs. And is lighter than most 0 deg bags. But I have built in modularity and options.

I tried a quilt last year and will never go back to a confined sleeping bag. So much more room in a quilt and no zipper to snag. Just make sure you order one that is more than wide enough for you I think this is where most people go wrong

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
What r value pad did you use?
My current pad is 4.5 R value and wondering how cold I can comfortably take it if I jump in to a quilt (thinking about pulling the trigger in the next few weeks to try one) just wondering if I'll need a warmer pad too.
(I haven't really used the current pad down that low with a regular sleeping bag either to be fair. Assuming if it works with a bag, it should work and stay just as warm with a quilt)

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
I have a thermarest xtherm in a mummy shape. It’s a solid lightweight option. I believe it’s 6.9 R value.

wilbur007

FNG
If you're going with a mummy bag for cold weather make sure you can roll around inside of it. I have a WM down mummy and it fits me like a glove. When I roll over the bag rolls with me, exposing the compressed insulation that used to be underneath me to the cold air above. It's not as bad as a drafty quilt but it's noticeable. A light synthetic quilt overtop has solved this problem and helps move the moisture out of the down.

S.Clancy

WKR
I have a quilt and a bag, 40F and 15F respectively. I've use the quilt now down to 28-30F with a puffy inside, was nice and toasty. The bag I can take down to -5 to -10F layering appropriately. Below 25 degrees or so I really want a bag. So far, my setup is perfect.

I prefer a quilt and use a 0* EE for everything. But I'm usually back home chasing whitetails when the temps get really cold.

Dcronce

FNG
Curious for those who have actually used both. What did you find with pros/cons of either?

I've always used a mummy bag, but considering trying a quilt to shave weight.
I’ve used both. I like carrying the quilt but like sleeping in a bag. It’s just personal preference. I feel cozier and less drafty.

I have a quilt and a bag, 40F and 15F respectively. I've use the quilt now down to 28-30F with a puffy inside, was nice and toasty. The bag I can take down to -5 to -10F layering appropriately. Below 25 degrees or so I really want a bag. So far, my setup is perfect.
This is exactly what I tried out and think it’s best system if used. 40 degree quilt I don’t even use the straps and 35 degrees or above no need. Weight saving is awesome as most of my 7-10 day trips are early season. Once it’s below freezing I grab my 15 degree sleeping bag.

My issue is when I am looking at 0 to 10 degree quilts I am not seeing a significant weight savings over the Versalite bag I already own. Maybe I haven’t looked at the right quilt yet?
That’s what has kept me from pulling the trigger in a lower temp quilt vs my 2lb WM Alpinlite 20 degree bag w/overfill to a few degrees lower.

I can still zip open to vent but later in the evening when the temps drop I often will zip up all the way. I appreciate being able to do this with the bag.

In hotter summer backpacking I have a 40 degree quilt but don’t bring it come Sept archery season.

View attachment 535691
I can attest to this working as it’s literally exactly what I did one cold hunt in WY. Temps down to about 0 without a stove in the Supermid tipi.

40degree down (not synthetic) quilt over my about 15 degree bag (WM Alpinlite w overfill). Wore long John upper and lower base layers but no puffy.

I didnt want to let any draft in or skin exposed but was still able to get a decent sleep. Certainly wouldn’t have wanted that setup in any colder without dawning my puffies.

Also, this is 3lbs of bags (2 for the WM and 1 for the quilt).

I'd second what others have said about quilts. I bought a 40 degree EE quilt and used it during archery season this past year. Temps dipped into the mid-30s a couple of nights on my hunt and I stayed comfortable with a puffy in addition to my hunting clothes. If you go the quilt route, get a quality sleep pad as suggested. My pad has a 4.2 R value (I think) and would be really important for a bag or quilt. I've considered selling one of my bags and picking up a 20 degree quilt I like it so much!

Tupp

FNG
Making me second guess my bag and make a move to a quilt. What brands would you recommend