Quitting Alcohol

ChrisA

WKR
I started at a young age and hit it pretty hard every weekend. When I went to line school, I was surrounded by a bunch of guys I didn't know and hardly any women. All we did was get drunk every day after class. After line school, I found my career job and ironically, I had just turned 21. I could finally buy it. So that's what I did. Every night and every day. I started showing up late for work, had HR meetings for being late, and still continued drinking.. Finally it pushed my girlfriend away. I was in denial. I blamed my problems as her loss. I started going to the gym, hoping to get in shape to find another girl. While doing so, I started to care less of finding another girl and more about my personal health and the gains I was making. I was occasionally drinking and when I did, I felt terribly guilty because of all the hardwork I did was being directly affected by alcohol. I ended up going on a friend vacation to texas during my workout period. I refused to drink, but my friends were persistent. I eventually caved, and that's all we did for a week straight. On the ride home, I was so disappointed in myself and my friends. They knew I was trying to better myself, but yet they chased me around with liquor bottles. I ended up not saying a word for the entire 12 hour trip back home.. since that trip, 2 years and 6 months ago, I haven't had a sip of alcohol or smoked another cigarette. I quit chewing last November, and I recently quit drinking coffee 3 months ago. Now I'm engaged to the same girl that had previously broken up with me. We are getting married in exactly month from today.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Congratulations! Good on you

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
Since that trip, 2 years and 6 months ago, I haven't had a sip of alcohol or smoked another cigarette. I quit chewing last November, and I recently quit drinking coffee 3 months ago. Now I'm engaged to the same girl that had previously broken up with me. We are getting married in exactly month from today.

Thank you for sharing your story. Really inspired me this morning.

DavePwns

WKR
I am currently listening to the audio book atomic habits by James Clear, and I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to change a bad habit and add good ones. Some key points from the book that relate to success of quitting alcohol is

1. Changing behavior is essentially an identity change ( Say " I don't drink" instead of "I'm trying to quit",). When adding or removing a habit, you will now identify as a new person, so OWN IT.
2. “disciplined” people are better at structuring their lives in a way that does not require heroic willpower and self-control. In other words, they spend less time in tempting situations. Changing and being proactive about your environment is essential, you need to identify and remove ques or triggers that initiate the unwanted habit.
3. Spend most of your time around people who have the same habits you desire. Peer pressure works both ways, there is good peer pressure and bad peer pressure, so spend time with people that pressure you to be better. As humans we have an innate desire to fit in to the crowd whether we like it or not.

I am only half way through the book and I'm sure there are plenty other points I've missed, so I'd recommend reading or listening to the audiobook. I just searched and listened through youtube

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
I am currently listening to the audio book atomic habits by James Clear, and I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to change a bad habit and add good ones. Some key points from the book that relate to success of quitting alcohol is
Weird coincidence. I listened to the author talk about it on a podcast yesterday. Definitely will be checking that out.

schmalzy

WKR

1. Changing behavior is essentially an identity change ( Say " I don't drink" instead of "I'm trying to quit",). When adding or removing a habit, you will now identify as a new person, so OWN IT.
2. “disciplined” people are better at structuring their lives in a way that does not require heroic willpower and self-control. In other words, they spend less time in tempting situations. Changing and being proactive about your environment is essential, you need to identify and remove ques or triggers that initiate the unwanted habit.
3. Spend most of your time around people who have the same habits you desire. Peer pressure works both ways, there is good peer pressure and bad peer pressure, so spend time with people that pressure you to be better. As humans we have an innate desire to fit in to the crowd whether we like it or not.

I am only half way through the book and I'm sure there are plenty other points I've missed, so I'd recommend reading or listening to the audiobook. I just searched and listened through youtube

Positive peer pressure is a powerful thing. Not just with alcohol, but faith, fitness, business, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpa556

FNG
I started at a young age and hit it pretty hard every weekend. When I went to line school, I was surrounded by a bunch of guys I didn't know and hardly any women. All we did was get drunk every day after class. After line school, I found my career job and ironically, I had just turned 21. I could finally buy it. So that's what I did. Every night and every day. I started showing up late for work, had HR meetings for being late, and still continued drinking.. Finally it pushed my girlfriend away. I was in denial. I blamed my problems as her loss. I started going to the gym, hoping to get in shape to find another girl. While doing so, I started to care less of finding another girl and more about my personal health and the gains I was making. I was occasionally drinking and when I did, I felt terribly guilty because of all the hardwork I did was being directly affected by alcohol. I ended up going on a friend vacation to texas during my workout period. I refused to drink, but my friends were persistent. I eventually caved, and that's all we did for a week straight. On the ride home, I was so disappointed in myself and my friends. They knew I was trying to better myself, but yet they chased me around with liquor bottles. I ended up not saying a word for the entire 12 hour trip back home.. since that trip, 2 years and 6 months ago, I haven't had a sip of alcohol or smoked another cigarette. I quit chewing last November, and I recently quit drinking coffee 3 months ago. Now I'm engaged to the same girl that had previously broken up with me. We are getting married in exactly month from today.

Good on you and God bless you both!!

Opah

WKR
So lets all quit drinking , quit smoking, put on some yoga pants and Jog down to Vaccination station with our faces covered and let them inject what ever the poison of the day is.
Then we can sing Cum by Ya in the Park waiting for the call to all be Vegan comes in, and we can get our canines pulled to show our support. LOL

I believe setting around a camp fire with a cold one, telling stories with a bunch of Good old Hunting buds is Heavy on Earth! why would I want to quit ?

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
So lets all quit drinking , quit smoking, put on some yoga pants and Jog down to Vaccination station with our faces covered and let them inject what ever the poison of the day is.
Then we can sing Cum by Ya in the Park waiting for the call to all be Vegan comes in, and we can get our canines pulled to show our support.
Sorry I believe setting around a camp fire with a cold one, telling stories with a bunch of Good old Hunting buds is Heavy on Earth! why would I want to quit ?

Didn’t know making one’s life better, or encouraging it could be so threatening - strange.

taking control of your life is THE expression of freedom. When it comes to booze, if you can’t say ‘no,’ you simply aren’t free.

not sure how you conjure such dire consequences for people making such positive and powerful decisions.

Recently came to the conclusion I want/need to stop drinking. I've seen a few guys on here say they've been sober for years.

I've been pretty strong willed when it comes to kicking habits, but this one has been a one step forward three steps back one. Haha

Those of you who have stopped did you notice many benefits on your hunts, mindset, or physical shape?
Any tips on the process?
i quit drinking probably a dozen years ago, i was never good at just having a couple beers.... i was a goal oriented drinker ;)

the last couple years i drank i was drinking way too much, and got sick of the stories the next day of what i did the night before, haha.

i don't miss it even a little bit, made everything easier quitting. i got lucky and it wasn't hard to quit, i was sick of it and just quit.... if you get that feeling one day, embrace it and take advantage of it.

i think the habits/addiction are so hard to quit because we really don't want to quit, even if we think we should, we don't want to.... if you don't truly want to quit, it's gonna be tough. the mind truly is a powerful thing, that can be awesome at times, and bad at times depending on what it is.

Opah

WKR
Didn’t know making one’s life better, or encouraging it could be so threatening - strange.

taking control of your life is THE expression of freedom. When it comes to booze, if you can’t say ‘no,’ you simply aren’t free.

not sure how you conjure such dire consequences for people making such positive and powerful decisions.
Forgot the LOL, as said everybody has different needs, not Knocking anyone helping them selves and not knocking anyone helping them selves to a beer.

schmalzy

WKR
Then we can sing Cum by Ya in the Park waiting for the call to all be Vegan comes in, and we can get our canines pulled to show our support. LOL

I believe setting around a camp fire with a cold one, telling stories with a bunch of Good old Hunting buds is Heavy on Earth! why would I want to quit ?

Don’t think anyone was telling you to or asking if you wanted to quit.

Some of us are/were just way too skilled at “sitting around the campfire with a cold one” part haha.

I had a pretty recent traumatizing event with one of my young kids in that they were hospitalized for 6 days. They are better and I’m doing better mentally, but what is weird is that Ive lost any desire and even taste for alcohol.

Prior to that, I drank a beer a night, sometimes two, and definitely 3-4 when hanging with a friend once a week, gatherings, etc. Loved IPAs and good craft beers.

But its been just over a month since that day my kid went to the hospital. I have had two drinks since and more recently. One was my favorite IPA last weekend and it was gross - barely finished half of it. The other was a glass of wine i tries last night at dinner and it just tasted like vinegar.

No idea what happened but my desire and taste to drink is just gone. Which is weird cause usually a bad event makes you drink more. Im happy it turned out the opposite.

But i can confirm with others that my sleep is better not drinking. Crazy how i wasnt actually sleeping and not noticing. And I dont experience an afternoon crash like i used to. My wife also seems to get along better with me too haha!

Will_m

WKR
I had a pretty recent traumatizing event with one of my young kids in that they were hospitalized for 6 days. They are better and I’m doing better mentally, but what is weird is that Ive lost any desire and even taste for alcohol.

Prior to that, I drank a beer a night, sometimes two, and definitely 3-4 when hanging with a friend once a week, gatherings, etc. Loved IPAs and good craft beers.

But its been just over a month since that day my kid went to the hospital. I have had two drinks since and more recently. One was my favorite IPA last weekend and it was gross - barely finished half of it. The other was a glass of wine i tries last night at dinner and it just tasted like vinegar.

No idea what happened but my desire and taste to drink is just gone. Which is weird cause usually a bad event makes you drink more. Im happy it turned out the opposite.

But i can confirm with others that my sleep is better not drinking. Crazy how i wasnt actually sleeping and not noticing. And I dont experience an afternoon crash like i used to. My wife also seems to get along better with me too haha!
Sounds like you need to be in the “have you caught rona thread.”

Piranha37

FNG
I’ve been sober for 17 years; I sobered up in college. Alcoholism runs in my family, killed my dad, and multiple men up the line. Let’s just say no male in the past 4 generations at least have made it out of their 50s. Hunting was an excuse for the men to get drunk every night at the cabin.

For me, AA was the only way that worked. I tried everything else. It’s hard work, but you become an infinitely better person and will no longer care about alcohol, one way or the other. I can honesty say the person I am now is completely different than the one I was before getting sober. I have a wife and kids who have never seen me drink and think the world of me. I am well-respected by others, and most importantly I am very happy with the man I am. If you are an alcoholic like I am, and get the phenomenon of craving once you drink, I hope you also check out AA. It can be the beginning of a life you never dreamed was possible. And you will be a much better and more reliable hunter.

Have gone through much of the same as said earlier. Late teens early twenties I lit that fuse Friday night and woke up in a haze Sunday afternoon. Over time due to just plane being busy I drank less and less. I remember the first time I said "no thanks" in a group friend setting. Nothing but a bunch of deer in the headlights. Nobody even blinked. Kinda awkward. Then came the "is everything ok?" Is it your health. I was like no I gotta move cows before the sun gets hot and don't wanna fell like s&$t. Now I may have 3-4 beers a year. One thing i really noticed through it all is i really built some good friend relationships with the buddies who also were pretty sober and would get up at 4 in the morning to go fish or hunt or give a hand working on a project. All those "buddies" you make at 1 in the morning at the bar just never really seem to be there until you see them at the bar again.

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
All those "buddies" you make at 1 in the morning at the bar just never really seem to be there until you see them at the bar again.
This is very well said. Drinking made me more social, but I also wasn't much of a social drinker either way. I'm lucky to have quality friend's whose friendship didn't revolve around drinking. Quality over quantity is the best thing for friendships, 100%.
I’ve been sober for 17 years; I sobered up in college. Alcoholism runs in my family, killed my dad, and multiple men up the line. Let’s just say no male in the past 4 generations at least have made it out of their 50s. Hunting was an excuse for the men to get drunk every night at the cabin.
I definitely have it on both sides of my family. Growing up around it definitely makes it seem normal, but I know I watched a lot of terrible shit that wouldn't have happened if there wasn't alcohol involved growing up. I'll have 40 days on Tuesday, and haven't really had a thought of going back. I never want to become "Mr.Hyde" again. The fact that I could ever be a drunk a-hole to the girl I was seeing really hurts to look back on.
So I won't ever go down that path again.

I'm sorry to hear about your kid, buddy. That's definitely rough.
I'm glad you found a positive in the chaos.
So far all the pros of being sober outweigh the cons by 100%. If I try to think about it, I don't really find any pros of it.
Tastes good is the only one, and there's a lot of other drinks that taste good that aren't alcohol. haha
Don’t think anyone was telling you to or asking if you wanted to quit.

Some of us are/were just way too skilled at “sitting around the campfire with a cold one” part haha.
LOL if that was a sport I think I could've went pro.
I remember digging holes and filling them with coals to sleep on at mountain parties when I was a teenager. That was some dumb shit to do just to drink around a campfire.

I bet there's a lot of people with yoga pants out there that can hold their drink. You basically described the people who create the craft beer and high octane beers these days.

It's a good time for sure, I've had plenty of cold ones around the campfire. It just didn't positively affect my life outside of that moment. It sucks to give up for sure, but the benefits outweigh the negatives by a landslide for me. I'll still enjoy hanging out around the campfire with my friend's. I'll just be able to actually remember all of it. haha
i quit drinking probably a dozen years ago, i was never good at just having a couple beers.... i was a goal oriented drinker ;)

the last couple years i drank i was drinking way too much, and got sick of the stories the next day of what i did the night before, haha.

i don't miss it even a little bit, made everything easier quitting. i got lucky and it wasn't hard to quit, i was sick of it and just quit.... if you get that feeling one day, embrace it and take advantage of it.

i think the habits/addiction are so hard to quit because we really don't want to quit, even if we think we should, we don't want to.... if you don't truly want to quit, it's gonna be tough. the mind truly is a powerful thing, that can be awesome at times, and bad at times depending on what it is.
Hahaha it's funny you say that. I had to explain to someone recently that I've always been goal oriented and work my ass off to achieve those goals. It just hasn't been "normal society goals".

I didn't put that as one of them, but damn you're right. I was the same. LOL

Azone

WKR

Not trying to start shit here man, so take this for what it’s worth.
Some people just can’t have one or ten. I know some people who don’t drink that I would not want to **** with on my best day and their worst day. Not drinking does not make someone a pussy or a coward, it’s a personal thing. Some people just go bat shit and can’t control it, want to fight the whole world and then burn it down when they’re done pissing on it.
I’ve witnessed people lose all self control, beat up their best friends, rip a line of blow off the dash board then go screw up their relationship or marriage because….. well they got shit faced drunk. It’s a pretty shitty site at times, especially when your the one that ends up running damage control come sun up.
If you don’t want to quit and you can handle your liquor good for you man, but some are just possessed and out of control.

Recently came to the conclusion I want/need to stop drinking. I've seen a few guys on here say they've been sober for years.

I've been pretty strong willed when it comes to kicking habits, but this one has been a one step forward three steps back one. Haha

Those of you who have stopped did you notice many benefits on your hunts, mindset, or physical shape?
Any tips on the process?

Brother, I want to congratulate you on taking the first step and encourage you to approach sobriety with the same seriousness and dedication you would a once-in-a-lifetime hunt. Only YOU can decide if you’re an alcoholic but if you can see ways that alcohol (or ANY drug) use is having a negative effect on your life, it’s WELL worth exploring the idea of sobriety! I can tell you that the journey alone can be life-changing and I’ve NEVER known someone that achieved sobriety and serenity that didn’t say their lives improved.

First of all, it’s important to understand that there’s a ‘night and day’ difference between “sobriety” and simply “quitting.” They are two completely different things and I can tell you, from personal experience, that one is a blessing and the other is a nightmare. YOU want sobriety, if you feel that you have a drinking (or substance abuse) problem, believe me! Sobriety comes from not just stopping drinking but coming to grips with all sorts of things in your life (past, present and future) because the root cause of drinking too much, besides the genetic component, is an inability to live life happily on life’s terms. Intoxication, for those with a drinking problem, is an escape from that inability. Once you learn to cope with life better (and without alcohol as your buffer, escape, reward, etc) you can’t imagine the overwhelming relief and the joy you get from life becoming easier. Change doesn’t happen overnight but I’ve never met anyone who’s truly been in recovery that didn’t say their life improved drastically from the process. It’s THAT promise that you need to cling to whenever things get tough or some numb-nut looks to ridicule or degrade your efforts. In fact, getting sober is the absolute BEST ‘friend test’ you can perform - you’ll weed out the people in your life that aren’t worth wasting your breath or your concern on. ANYONE that won’t support your effort to quit drinking has: A. a substance problem of their own. B. a major character flaw or C. BOTH problems! Unfortunately, you’re likely to find some long-time so-called friends that will fall into this category. Sad but true. Toss ‘em to the curb! ANY person that won’t support your own personal effort/decision to explore a new and healthy way of living has a fundamental character flaw that you don’t need in your life anyway. Trying to save or help those people have been the downfall of MANY a person trying to get clean.

I say all this as someone with WAY more personal experience than I should have; but also as someone who’s INCREDIBLY and overwhelmingly grateful for the journey I took! It made me who I am today. Sobriety isn’t about regretting past deeds, it’s about recognizing them and coming to understand how and why they occurred; and then discovering healthy ways to avoid dangerous situations and navigate our way through the things life inevitably throws our way. FWIW… I had it ALL and ended up broke and homeless with nothing more than the clothes on my back. Yep, I was a particularly stubborn one, lol! Yet my sobriety and my belief in a power greater than myself led me on a journey that allowed me to regain everything I lost and WAY MORE! This isn’t unique either - it’s a common occurrence among those truly in “recovery.”

I can’t urge you enough to get involved with a 12-step program. Doesn’t matter if it’s AA, or Narcotics Anonymous or Sex Addicts Anonymous. The name is meaningless. Addiction is addiction, regardless of your substance/activity of choice. WHAT DOES MATTER… is finding a support group of people you feel comfortable around and (MOST IMPORTANTLY) a person to “sponsor” or guide you that you can respect and bond with - someone with a long track record of happy and successful sobriety. Look for someone that looks happy and content and has something that YOU want - that person may be able to guide you. A sponsor if a guide, a teacher, a guardian and, if you’re lucky, a future friend! People become sponsors because it’s part of their own recovery process and it’s a key to maintaining their own sobriety, serenity and happiness. We help each other - that’s the basic tenet of all 12-step programs!

If you want any help or insight from someone with a lot of experience, feel free to DM me. I’ll give you my contact info and you can reach out ANY time! I’m no sponsor despite all my experience but I’m sure happy to help you find a group that you can fit in with, where you WILL be able to find a good sponsor. Lots of folks cheering you on, here on RS, as you can see! As for the naysayers…. F ‘em! Pay them NO mind. It’s topics like this that give the community a wonderful opportunity to view some members’ true character.

I wish you incredible success and I’ll be praying for you to find the serenity and joy that I KNOW awaits you along this trail you’ve started on. Just remember… when the going gets tough you just gotta cinch up that pack and keep putting one foot in front of the other. Dont give up!