Quitting Alcohol

Over the course of about 1.5 years I lost about 20lbs. I didn't know why and started to get concerned. Then, I realized it was because I had quit drinking. I didn't change any other habit. I basically lost the 20lbs "for free."
And gained many more years of living a great lifestyle. Congrats!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Very well could be. I exercise 6-7 days per week and have a pretty clean diet, except for an unhealthy love of cinnamon bears.

so YOU are the one cleaning out the Meridian WinCo!!! My wife has been awfully pissed about the empty cinnamon bear tubs...

We tend to gravitate towards sugar after stopping its very common. It makes up for the loss of sugar we obtained during drinking..

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
It makes absolute sense. I do have to say that I have had an unhealthy love of anything gummy since I was a little kid.

I watched family members shorten and worsen the quality of their lives by overindulging with alcohol. To some it is a real issue and to those, I encourage you to contemplate getting some help (AA has this down) in order to spend more and better quality days on this earth with your loved ones. You owe it to (first) yourself and (second) the ones who love and care for you. Fortunately, I can have a cold beer once a week, enjoy it in the moment and maybe never have another for days or weeks. My brothers couldn't and can't modulate like that.

I took part in whole 30 Diet with wife years ago. No booze, no coffee, no sugar. Of the 3 sugar was the most difficult and we cheated often, using honey.

Interesting thread - and I admit I’ve not read it all. Will contribute that I did dryanuary, as I had the last couple years, and this time I just kept going. No alcohol in ‘23 so far. I anticipate that this is not forever, but perhaps a pivot to much greater moderation. I do like good craft beers and can hang with the wine snobs when required.
We’ll see…

I've got a little more than five years now I believe (wish I would have remembered the day...). At first it was so hard. Kind of felt like I had my man card revoked because so much in society seems like it requires that men have a few beers everywhere you go. Now I don't miss it at all. Never even crave booze. I have an NA beer on occasion, but honestly it just feels like a waste of money. Now if I could just quit chew...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Drinking is another Rue’s. It’s really all hype when you watch how they portray it on movies and advertising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting thread - and I admit I’ve not read it all. Will contribute that I did dryanuary, as I had the last couple years, and this time I just kept going. No alcohol in ‘23 so far. I anticipate that this is not forever, but perhaps a pivot to much greater moderation. I do like good craft beers and can hang with the wine snobs when required.
We’ll see…
Rooster, I was a HUGE craft beer, whiskey, and wine nerd. I have drank bottles of beer and whiskey worth hundreds, to thousands of dollars, and several hundred dollars bottles of wine. I could identify whiskey by blind tasting it, and I am talking down to the producer, proof, grains used, and barrels it was aged in. I met A LOT of my best friends because of craft beer. But I decided to give it all up 4 years ago. It seemed like the hardest decision ever at the time, especially being a sales rep for a craft beer distribution company. But I did it anyways. Originally said I was taking a year off, after a few months I knew Id never get drunk again
I will still drink an oz or two of beer if a friends open something really good or interesting. But never enough to catch a buzz. That is what made me realize I wasn't an alcoholic, I just actually loved the beverages themselves. I have a friend staying with me, amd my fridge is full of beer, but I don't even get an urge to drink one when opening it. Long story long, I think if you can control yourself, a little booze isnt too terrible. But letting anything run your life is.

Chris, keep it up man!! If you need any encouragement, or advice feel free to message me. The first few weeks were the hardest for me! But it only gets easier as you go. Don't beat yourself up if you have cravings or thoughts about drinking. Just know that your sleep will improve greatly, and so will your overall health.

I was a very moderate (3-4 drinks per week) drinker but after watching the Huberman Labs podcast on YouTube on the effect of alcohol, my wife and I cut WAY back. The deleterious effect of moderate drinking on your health is much greater then what one sees/feels on the surface. Now have 2-4 drinks per month. That said, we definitely get more restful sleep without alcohol in your system, even when you sleep the same number of hours.

Just checking in on everybody , how it's going ?
I don't really keep track because it was never that kind of problem for me, and I just quit cold turkey with the opposite of support. But Today marks 4 years! I had my "going away party" on may 4th 2019. Drank 2 or 3 thousand dollars worth of rare lambics and made a delicious dinner to go with it for 4 of my classiest drinking buddies. 2 or 3k may seem like a lot, but that is just what it was valued at. We got it all priced at retail from 6 to 15 years ago. I think it was around 6 bottles total, and took a few hours to get through it all. Didn't hardly even catch a buzz, woke up the next day and decided that was my last hoorah.

Anyways, just wanted to share that, I think it is kind of cool, and EXTREMELY nerdy. But maybe someone will find it funny and have a laugh.

Doing well, thanks for checking. 103 days for me, which is the longest I've gone without a drink since I started in high school. Wasn't a big problem, but was a change that has been positive for me. Now if the beer gut would just disappear, that would be great.
I come back to this thread often, it's my little crutch. keep up the work everybody.

1 Beer last weekend. Completely dry other than that, since February. I was catfishing, it was hot as hell and it sounded pretty darn good. It didn't taste nearly as good as it sounded. I was up 8 pounds but was still working out and eating pretty much the same. I changed my workout time shake around and have dumped that 8 pounds plus an additional 6. I re-listened to the Huberman podcast on Monday, just to reinforce myself.

Back