Quitting Alcohol

9 months since I woke up and told my hungover self in the mirror that I'm done and I don't drink. After partying hard with co workers on the last night of a work trip before heading home, I started to realize what a shit bag I was. Rode in the back seat of a truck for 700 miles the next day with the worsr hangover i have ever experienced.

Since then, my sleep has increased, i have suffered less from depression, my body feels great, and this summer I am the best shape of my life. Not too mention I enjoy hanging out with other individuals like myself who love the outdoors and do not drink.

Look in the mirror every day when brushing your teeth and tell yourself you've got this! one day at a time my friend. Some days can be a bitch to get through, but you can do it!

Whisky

WKR
I guess I'll briefly play a long. This thread inspired me to try a little break from alcohol. I'm setting a goal of not a drop until Sept 3 as of now. I just had a long weekend with a lot of alcohol consumption, and basically feel like a bloated, lazy POS. I've put on some pounds in the last 8 months and it's 100% related to alcohol. I hit the gym 5 days a week and usually do 1 cardio day on the weekends, eat right during the week, and only drink on the weekends, and I still go backwards with my weight. I quit for 2 months before and dropped 20lbs, so we shall see...

I can tell you this, not having an elk tag in my pocket this year drastically changes my motivation for certain things.

kpk

WKR
I still have a couple beers here and there but I did quit chewing. I chewed a can a day for close to 15 years and then used lozenges and patches for a long time. I had a medical issue that was kind of a wake-up call to take better care of myself.

Woke up the next day and decided I was done with nicotine and threw all that crap away. Once your mindset is in the right place and it's no longer available it's easier.

hunt1up

WKR
It's funny that I was able to kick cigarettes 11 years ago when my wife was pregnant with our first child. Now I can be around cigarettes and even have bum one while(you guessed it) drinking, and not go back to them. No desire really. But beer has been a real challenge for me. The past two years I kept a log in a little calendar book to track the days I'd drank. Black mark on the calendar for a drinking day, yellow for an alcohol free day. It sort of worked, but the pages of that little calendar book were mostly black dots with some yellow to add a little color. I go through cycles where I'll sort of moderate and get back to exercising, then I'll get lazy and fall right back to the daily routine to after work beers and weekends with plenty.

One of the big problems for me is I live in a pretty rural part of IL were pretty much everyone I know would be classified a heavy drinker by a doctor. "Stop over for a beer" means we're going to hang out for 4 hours and kill a 12 pack each. "ONE beer" doesn't exist. I can count on one hand the number of people I know that don't drink or drink very little. It's a double edged sword. On one hand it's sort of the cultural glue that keeps things together but it comes at a cost.

Fortunately I don't think any of my drinking friends would judge another for showing up without a cooler. I had an knee injury and surgery recently that is finally healed to where I'm getting active again. I've got an elk hunt starting 9/14 so now is the time to get my crap together again.

I'm glad this thread popped up. It's good to read experiences that so closely mirror my own and also those from people who have improved themselves or are working to do so. I'm going to try and join ya.

hunt1up

WKR
Good post @hunt1up

your comment on the cultural glue is a very important one and one I’ve been thinking about recently. The combination of “good causes” and alcohol is everywhere and it’s become kind of a standard for events. Not trying to be a prude, but maybe we need a better glue than booze.

I'm trying to think of gatherings that happen around here that don't include alcohol. Deer camp is a 3 day weekend of 12 guys getting hammered. Cookout, better bring more than six pack. We have a river camp spot and if I needed to fill my professional beer drinking team any of the other members there would make the first string. Weddings, birthdays, graduations, doesn't matter. Gonna go help a buddy move? Don't worry, there will be lots of free beer.

It works about the same as talking about the weather. You could be a liberal, conservative, gay or straight, from damn near any culture and drinking is a universal language. When I first moved to the town where I now live I can directly credit drinking to making many new friends. I know for certain though that when I wake up feeling like crap after a night of drinking that those other guys do too. But generally you just don't talk about it. Maybe a good laugh when some really goes overboard.

I think I'm just at the age now(35) where the novelty has worn off. In truth that probably happened many years ago. But it's easy to fall into a pattern that is hard to break, even when you are tired of it.

CorbLand

WKR
I think I'm just at the age now(35) where the novelty has worn off. In truth that probably happened many years ago. But it's easy to fall into a pattern that is hard to break, even when you are tired of it.
Funny how that works. I grew up in areas heavily dominated by a religion that doesn't drink. I drank for most of high school and college. Most of my friends didn't start drinking until they were later in life and left that religion. We are all 28-31 and they all like to get plastered and I am like eh, have fun guys. Almost like at some point some can just get it out of their system and move on.

Pro953

WKR
As someone who has been hospitalized with acute pancreatitis due to drinking, I would just say, you will only get away with it so long before some sort of wake up call.

It was part of my daily routine so that was hard to break at times. I found evening workouts helped as I was less inclined to want a glass of wine with dinner if I was going to the gym.

Good luck to everyone, I will not preach that everyone should abstain but if you cannot stop at one or two, it might be time for some introspection. If you are struggling with alcoholism, please seek help, it’s not a process you should go through alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whisky

WKR
I'm trying to think of gatherings that happen around here that don't include alcohol. Deer camp is a 3 day weekend of 12 guys getting hammered. Cookout, better bring more than six pack. We have a river camp spot and if I needed to fill my professional beer drinking team any of the other members there would make the first string. Weddings, birthdays, graduations, doesn't matter. Gonna go help a buddy move? Don't worry, there will be lots of free beer.

It works about the same as talking about the weather. You could be a liberal, conservative, gay or straight, from damn near any culture and drinking is a universal language. When I first moved to the town where I now live I can directly credit drinking to making many new friends. I know for certain though that when I wake up feeling like crap after a night of drinking that those other guys do too. But generally you just don't talk about it. Maybe a good laugh when some really goes overboard.

You and I are a lot alike. When I decided to quit for 2 months once (just to see if I could) i basically became a hermit. I had to drastically change my ways to avoid it all. My wife said I was a boring, crabby little bitch (and I was). One doesn't realize how much alcohol becomes a part of their routines. When I woke up this morning and told her my intentions of going about 6 weeks without alcohol, she was less than thrilled. Here comes boring crabass again..I told her this time I wont become so boring, as I know we have some events coming up that are ripe for drinking. I just loaded up on carbonated waters, and will pack my "beer" cooler all the same.

Reactions: ODB

Shane_S4

FNG
Recently came to the conclusion I want/need to stop drinking. I've seen a few guys on here say they've been sober for years.

I've been pretty strong willed when it comes to kicking habits, but this one has been a one step forward three steps back one. Haha

Those of you who have stopped did you notice many benefits on your hunts, mindset, or physical shape?
Any tips on the process?
I used to be a roided out gym rat. That was 10 years ago. Since then i havent had time to lift ao beat i can do is really watch my diet which i did well except alcohol. With that im about 15 pounds over my ideal weight. Stopped drinking alcohol and I dropped 11 pounds in a month.

ODB

WKR
You and I are a lot alike. When I decided to quit for 2 months once (just to see if I could) i basically became a hermit. I had to drastically change my ways to avoid it all. My wife said I was a boring, crabby little bitch (and I was). One doesn't realize how much alcohol becomes a part of their routines. When I woke up this morning and told her my intentions of going about 6 weeks without alcohol, she was less than thrilled. Here comes boring crabass again..I told her this time I wont become so boring, as I know we have some events coming up that are ripe for drinking. I just loaded up on carbonated waters, and will pack my "beer" cooler all the same.

Good for you, man. The carbonated waters (we call them Gucci Water) are the best - we drink them like crazy. Polar Cherry is my favorite When I was a kid I drank Coke a lot - I was almost literally weaned on it because my grandfather was a VP at Coca Cola and I had an unlimited supply of all their products.

I used to make fun of the fizzy water until i had a real cold one and that burn was so similar to Coke that I stopped drinking cokes pretty much all together - I realized it was the feel of the drink more than the drink itself that I really liked. Hell, I’d wolf down half a Coke and not even taste it anyway.

I imagine they will make a good beer substitute for you. And your breath won’t smell like sour beer to boot ;-)

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
From what I've read it takes a while for the brain to get back to normal after having alcohol as a "reward" for so long. Like 2-3 weeks minimum, or something. Which can cause the moodiness.

I've been a crabby bitch the last few days. Waiting on new tires so I can go glass in the evening when the shit moods start.

One thing I've noticed so far at 12 days is how mean I am to myself lately. I haven't been mean to people around me, but damn I've been bullying myself for shit a lot more lately. LOL

Donjuan

WKR
Recently came to the conclusion I want/need to stop drinking. I've seen a few guys on here say they've been sober for years.

I've been pretty strong willed when it comes to kicking habits, but this one has been a one step forward three steps back one. Haha

Those of you who have stopped did you notice many benefits on your hunts, mindset, or physical shape?
Any tips on the process?
I am almost 2 years sober after many failed attempts.
What kept me going through the tough cravings was remembering what I stood to lose by being f*$ked up all the time....my wife and daughter, maybe my job.
I drank alot of sparkling pellegrino water and worked out more. Going to church and seeing a counselor helped, too.
I'll be honest, living in a rural area where everything is a cause to drink made it tough but you can do it!

CorbLand

WKR
When I quit drinking for the two years, I also gave up chewing at the same time. I don't think it saved me a penny because I started drinking Arnold Palmer by the gallon and chewing gum by the pack. I still chew half a pack of gum a day.

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
When I quit drinking for the two years, I also gave up chewing at the same time. I don't think it saved me a penny because I started drinking Arnold Palmer by the gallon and chewing gum by the pack. I still chew half a pack of gum a day.
I do the exact same thing. I've been drinking kombucha, and rootbeer.
I've chewed a pack, or two of gum a day for years since I quit Copenhagen.
I'm an Orbit guy. Lmao

ODB

WKR
From what I've read it takes a while for the brain to get back to normal after having alcohol as a "reward" for so long. Like 2-3 weeks minimum, or something. Which can cause the moodiness.

I've been a crabby bitch the last few days. Waiting on new tires so I can go glass in the evening when the shit moods start.

One thing I've noticed so far at 12 days is how mean I am to myself lately. I haven't been mean to people around me, but damn I've been bullying myself for shit a lot more lately. LOL
If you don’t already, take a good dose of Vitamin D. There is plenty of correlative info on D deficiency and mood/depression. I’ve been known to have the Black Ass at times, and I can’t prove it, but since I’ve taken D twice a day the Black Ass hasn’t been as prevalent. My family has a long history of depression and suicide in quite amazing quantities, so it’s best to keep on top of stuff like that.

schmalzy

WKR

PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk