Quitting Alcohol

Back on the train, only 4 days in but going to see if I can ride it out. Have a marathon in June to keep my mind occupied. Downloaded an app that tracks money saved daily which is also a great reminder. Doing the napkin math from 2023 alone is sobering enough. Now if only I could get my kids off my nerves I might be smooth sailing 🤣

Grumman

WKR
Great discussion around the impact of drinking around our kids. I saw my Dad drink a beer for the first time when I was about 19. He never drank and I often thought he was a softie when his friends would offer him one and he’d decline. It wasn’t until later in life that he shared with me that he was a horrible alcoholic who quit cold turkey when he came home for the last time drunk without diapers or baby food for me.

Fast forward I never really drank much either. Have been drunk only a few times in my life. I wonder if his abstinence during my childhood contributed to that. I certainly have the genetics and family history to be an alcoholic.

I do have a beer every now and then around my kids. I always tell them to limit it and not be like so and so. Thinking of my Dad I often wonder if I’m making a mistake by having any alcohol at all in their presence.

This thread has been great. I subbed out for some non-alcoholic beer the other day. Heck it doesn’t taste too bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m almost 3 years completely sober. It has been very hard.

But the gains far outweigh the drink. I stopped drinking after my sheep hunt when I ate tag soup. Not bc I was out of shape but bc I wanted a certain caliber of ram.

I decided I wanted to stay in better shape so the next time I draw that tag I’ll be in good shape even if I’m 50 or 60.

Also after my son was born. Waking up hangover in the middle of the night with a new born was terrible.

I have lost friends. But it doesn’t matter. I am a better man to my wife and my son.

The shit is poison. It was consuming me. My sleep is better my mood is better.

Lost 20 lbs. mountain hunting has gotten much easier.

I can’t have any beer or alcohol in my house. Out of sight out mind.

I haven’t gone to AA yet but I’m strongly thinking about it bc sometimes I have my bad days.

But you can do it if you really want to. Best of luck.

jtrav543

FNG
Quit drinking Feb 2021 and don't miss it one bit. Overall happiness and joy has dramatically increased. If you drink daily I highly recommend putting down the bottle and seeing how great life can be. Some people can occasionally drink, most people I'm around drink more days than they don't.

I’ve now drank twice since 12/30, but have had really zero craving to do so. Both times were watching the lions games and I don’t necessarily feel bad about it. I’ve felt completely in control the last 25ish days. I’ve also started taking N-Acetyl Cysteine and it has taken almost 100% of the craving/urge to do.

CRJR45

WKR
samehere i want to quit aswell
Good for you , make the change , quit , and if you drink , keep quitting . It can be done . I quit many times , but I finally got past it . Find what works for you , AA , church , friends , whatever works , use it , lean on it , don't be afraid to ask for help . Good luck .

Dogone

FNG
Drinking and hunting: seem to go together for a lot of people. I would have a drink and long ago sometimes had to many. But alcohol didn’t run my life.
I used to go on week long moose hunts with buddies. They would get stupid drunk most nights. Next day they were useless. I QUIT going and they knew why. I always was sort of a loner and have pretty much hunted alone for the last 30 years.
Could never understand the need to go 100s of miles from home to get drunk.

Felix40

WKR
I’m at about a year and a half. It’s been incredibly easy and worth it for me. I had a craving when we ate in the bar area at Chilis last week but besides that I haven’t missed it. Everyone is now used to it and has stopped pressuring me to drink like a bunch of high school kids.

hunt1up

WKR
I'll be at 17 months this Friday, which is my daughter's 13th birthday. Yes I feel a million times better both physically and mentally, but as mentioned earlier I think the best thing about quitting is breaking that cycle of normalcy of alcohol around my kids. I can't imagine seeing my kids ending up in that same vicious cycle. That would be horrible as a parent and I hope I can help lessen their chances of that happening.

survivalistd

Lil-Rokslider
I took my last drink of alcohol 11 years ago 1/22/2013. I am grateful I have a choice today to not pick up a drink. My children are grateful cause none of them ever have a memory of their dad drinking. Sobriety is the greatest gift to the ones we love.

View attachment 661682
I'm 3/13/13. Great job!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk