Quitting Alcohol

KenLee

WKR
That's interesting. I was diagnosed with chronic pain about 18 years ago, so I may not be able to tell the difference between what's "normal" for me vs. what's possibly being caused by the meds.

Ultimately, I think the chronic pain is what caused me to start drinking in the first place.
It's a rare side effect, but it found me.
I'm also allergic to melatonin. It makes me break out and itch like crazy

ChrisA

WKR
I'm 52 and have been a beer only drinker since I was in my teens. I'm also a solo backpack hiker and hunter and have proven to myself that if I'm not at least 2 days sober I am not able to mentally grind out the extended hikes and multi day overnight trips (5 to 12-mile day hikes and 10 days solo is my longest). Just this last year I backpacked my entire camp (+-40 lbs) and a "deboned" buck out 7 miles in 1 trip.......... if not sober that would be a mental and physical challenge.

Seldom do I leave a vehicle at a trailhead; I get dropped off and then when I'm ready to come out I send an InReach message to my ride with a place/time............... there's been many an InReach message that read pick me up here and "BRING COLD BEER"! I can't imagine getting home after an extended trip around home or out of state and not celebrating my kill with a cold beer while I'm boiling its skull in the yard!

There's no doubt that the sober life has positive mental and physical qualities, I have yet to conquer the craving that comes with accomplishments............. If your headed down that path good luck and health to you for you won't regret it.
Good on you, that takes some wherewithal. I'd be boiling skulls and celebrating every single day until it was time to sober up and collect myself a couple days before doing it all over again. Fortunately, I was able to pack out my little buck this fall and enjoy a sparkling water or two. This is where I could start feeling sorry for myself about not being able to celebrate with a cold beer, but I know how that story ends for me.

june-bug

FNG
I just turned 50 in January and for the last 30 years have treated my body like a alcohol infused carnival ride lol. Its been 7 months and 8 days for me, 223 days since my last drink on July 26, 2023 and this has truly been one of the best decisions of my life. My wife comments on and I definitely notice just how much more present I am. I've lost 40 pounds, cleaned up my eating and have been running daily and enjoying it immensely. I honestly feel like I am in the best physical shape that I have been in for as long as I can remember. I have had cravings for sure but that is getting better and better each day. One in particular I was invited with some buddies for a Mississippi whitetail rut hunt this past January right around my birthday. I was lucky enough to kill the big buck of the weekend a beautiful 11 point. I had thoughts right then and there that I was definitely going to be celebrating with the boys back at the camp drinking. By the time we got back to camp though I was able to overcome my alcohol voice and just thoroughly enjoyed the moment by drinking several LaCroix sparkling waters while my buddies pounded the beers. I was really proud of myself to overcome that temptation!

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
I'm not sure if anyone else does, did, or is doing this; but when i first quit I put all my weekly whiskey money into a tin. I stopped saving after 2 years, but if I'm ever thinking or feeling stressed or aggravated to the point of maybe having a sip, I thought that having something concrete & real as a token of sobriety to look at, would help.
Luckily, that hasn't happened yet, but I'm not about to say "never".....

Here's what not drinking has paid for:
View attachment 682973Rifle, stock & scope! View attachment 682967
View attachment 682970View attachment 682971View attachment 682972

Also: 2 years, 4 months & 2 days today.
I got a Tikka setup, AR-15 built, franchi shotgun, dream bow... Ect with all the money I've saved.

Recently bought my first house too. I probably wouldn't be where I'm at if I didn't quit drinking. Glad I created this thread almost three years. It continues to inspire me.

I'm at two years, and 7 months ish.

Last edited:

LFC911

WKR
9 months sober tomorrow. When I'm around friends that drink i just bring my N/A's and don't feel like I'm missing out. I don't have the urge to drink and love not worrying about driving home or feeling like crap the next day. Glad to have discovered this thread and everyone's lives it has changed!

Heard a great quote today on the Keep Hammering Podcast from Aaron Rodgers. He had a coach that told him, "you can inspire someone, but motivation has to come from within." I think it hits home with quitting drinking.

Last edited:

sitealpha

FNG
Recently came to the conclusion I want/need to stop drinking. I've seen a few guys on here say they've been sober for years.

I've been pretty strong willed when it comes to kicking habits, but this one has been a one step forward three steps back one. Haha

Those of you who have stopped did you notice many benefits on your hunts, mindset, or physical shape?
Any tips on the process?
It is a hell of a lot easier getting up early to go on a hunt without a hangover.

TheGDog

WKR
Started month 3 beginning of march. All honesty, I thought I’d feel better than I do. I hurt more, sleep worse, and overall a more depressed feeling.
SUGGESTION:
You're going to need to start adding-in regular going to the gym, even if it's only to do like the elliptical walker.

Let that physical activity... and how easily or not-easily you accomplish it... be your report card... your bio-feedback to SHOW you how your choices are directly helping/hurting your body performance.

I'm sure there's going to need to be re-education on your part in terms of all your other various habits as well. Forcing yourself to get enough sleep, to make better choices for food intake, etc.

Remember... you've been introducing this outside external thing into your body for some amount of time (the alcohol)... so your body.. has been making changes inside... to help deal with this new state and fighting to bring your body back into homeostasis. So.. now that you've removed this one thing that your body has had to adjust for, for some time, so that it can continue the fight to bring you back to homeostasis... it'll take a minute for things to re-adjust.

In the meantime, you need to support your body best you can w good whole foods you cook yourself, and beatin' yourself over the head to remind yourself to drink that water, take it easy on the sugars, and block off better amounts of rest for yourself.

WKR
Started month 3 beginning of march. All honesty, I thought I’d feel better than I do. I hurt more, sleep worse, and overall a more depressed feeling.

I don't feel any better, or worse. Not really any different at all, actually, and certainly no acute life altering benefits. A bit disappointing actually.

I'm certain it's overall healthier for me, even though there are no obvious changes in how I feel on a daily basis.

Will update blood work soon and see if there's anything there.

Ramem7mm

FNG
In 2014 I quit chewing tobacco cold turkey, after being almost a can a day for a long time. Let me tell you its one of the hardest things I have ever done. I developed anxiety attacks, went to the hospital because of it, hooked up to ekg machines, numerous other doctor visits etc. This lasted about a year and eventually most symptoms went away and have been under control for awhile, but still some anxiety. During this recovery phase I traded it for alcohol and have had a tough time to shake this habit as well. I can do good for awhile but some event or reason comes up and it sounds good. I dont abuse it but its just not healthy and prevents me from my gains I want to have after work outs and being in better shape. Both habits I feel have made me age faster than I would if I would have avoided both of them. Its a struggle for sure.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Dip and cigarettes was my nemesis for years. About 37 years to be exact!
I've been tobacco free since 2015.
I could still buy a pack of smokes, smoke every one of them and never think twice about it. I still find myself touching my shirt pocket when I get bored! 😜
How I ever made 74 without needing O2, I don't understand.
My dad CHF'd out 2 months shy of his 60th b'day!! Smoked like a freight train. When cigarettes no longer satisfied, he went to cigars! Inhaled every puff! 😖
My kids missed out on a great grampa because he wouldn't quit.

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
SUGGESTION:
You're going to need to start adding-in regular going to the gym, even if it's only to do like the elliptical walker.

Let that physical activity... and how easily or not-easily you accomplish it... be your report card... your bio-feedback to SHOW you how your choices are directly helping/hurting your body performance.

I'm sure there's going to need to be re-education on your part in terms of all your other various habits as well. Forcing yourself to get enough sleep, to make better choices for food intake, etc.

Remember... you've been introducing this outside external thing into your body for some amount of time (the alcohol)... so your body.. has been making changes inside... to help deal with this new state and fighting to bring your body back into homeostasis. So.. now that you've removed this one thing that your body has had to adjust for, for some time, so that it can continue the fight to bring you back to homeostasis... it'll take a minute for things to re-adjust.

In the meantime, you need to support your body best you can w good whole foods you cook yourself, and beatin' yourself over the head to remind yourself to drink that water, take it easy on the sugars, and block off better amounts of rest for yourself.
Thanks dog,

I’ve been a gym rat for 20+ years now. Different goals over that time but in the gym 5 days a week with very little exceptions.

I eat good, I’m an all or nothing guy so being a gym rat translates right into the kitchen for me. I haven’t ate fast food in 12 years I remember it. Stopped at a McDonald’s and got 20pc nuggets on my way home from Denver.

My sleep is terrible though. I’ve yet to find anything g that actually helps.

I’ll stick with it and continue the journey.

TheGDog

WKR
My sleep is terrible though. I’ve yet to find anything g that actually helps.
I wonder if you've got some of the same issues I've got, related to deviated septum? For s&G... have you tried going to bed with a Breathe Right strip on?

Can take a lil getting used to at first... but pretty soon they don't bug anymore. I've also worn them in the field before, especially during periods of high pollen count.

TheGDog

WKR
Wow... came across this powerful image that I thought those reading in here wouldn't mind seeing...

Take_That_Shot.jpg

Reactions: ODB

Felix40

WKR
I’m a year and a half sober now and it’s one of the best things I’ve done for myself. I’m to the point now where I don’t even think about it anymore. I drink ginger ale at get togethers and it’s not a big deal for me. Moderation never worked for me. I don’t have the self control to limit myself. My wife and friends drink around me and I have no issue with it at all.

I have to say the hardest part now is going to work events where guys get hammered and constantly bug me to drink with them. Avoiding the alcohol is easier than keeping myself from beating the shit out of someone who is actively trying to derail my path. I don’t know what it is about our society that makes it ok to pressure someone to drink poison but it needs to change.

CRJR45

WKR
I’m a year and a half sober now and it’s one of the best things I’ve done for myself. I’m to the point now where I don’t even think about it anymore. I drink ginger ale at get togethers and it’s not a big deal for me. Moderation never worked for me. I don’t have the self control to limit myself.

I have to say the hardest part now is going to work events where guys get hammered and constantly bug me to drink with them. Avoiding the alcohol is easier than keeping myself from beating the shit out of someone who is actively trying to derail my path. I don’t know what it is about our society that makes it ok to pressure someone to drink poison but it needs to change.
Good for you ! I had the same thing at work events , and the next worst thing , guys drunk asking me "How do you do it , I want to quit , tell me your secret , blah blah blah . "

Yoder

WKR
That's interesting. I was diagnosed with chronic pain about 18 years ago, so I may not be able to tell the difference between what's "normal" for me vs. what's possibly being caused by the meds.

Ultimately, I think the chronic pain is what caused me to start drinking in the first place.
Have you tried an elimination diet? It could be what you're eating. I think the majority of our health problems are caused by diet. Carbs, ultra processed foods and sugar all cause inflammation.

Yoder

WKR
I’m a year and a half sober now and it’s one of the best things I’ve done for myself. I’m to the point now where I don’t even think about it anymore. I drink ginger ale at get togethers and it’s not a big deal for me. Moderation never worked for me. I don’t have the self control to limit myself. My wife and friends drink around me and I have no issue with it at all.

People that are your friends know you and probably don't believe you have a problem with alcohol. They see you as no worse than they are so how can it be a problem for you. I think it also makes them feel guilty or bad about themselves if you aren't drinking. I don't mind people offering me a beer to be polite, it's just the people who push it on you like a drug dealer after you tell them no. After a while, you won't even care. Keep it up, it's worth it.

Felix40

WKR
People that are your friends know you and probably don't believe you have a problem with alcohol. They see you as no worse than they are so how can it be a problem for you. I think it also makes them feel guilty or bad about themselves if you aren't drinking. I don't mind people offering me a beer to be polite, it's just the people who push it on you like a drug dealer after you tell them no. After a while, you won't even care. Keep it up, it's worth it.
I think the problem is that most people don’t realize THEY have a problem. I’ve told people that I don’t drink and had them say “that’s a shame that you can’t handle it” while drinking several bottles of wine a week and acting like that’s the way to live life.

I’ve also had coworkers tell me I’m being rude because I won’t drink a drink that they brought me.

All of this is after meetings where mental health is discussed to death. Then there’s an open bar afterword. The whole thing just frustrates me to no end. I doubt I will ever get over it. I don’t like peer pressure with anything no matter what it is.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
I think the problem is that most people don’t realize THEY have a problem. I’ve told people that I don’t drink and had them say “that’s a shame that you can’t handle it” while drinking several bottles of wine a week and acting like that’s the way to live life.

I’ve also had coworkers tell me I’m being rude because I won’t drink a drink that they brought me.

All of this is after meetings where mental health is discussed to death. Then there’s an open bar afterword. The whole thing just frustrates me to no end. I doubt I will ever get over it. I don’t like peer pressure with anything no matter what it is.
It’s always easier to do something you know you shouldn’t if you have a partner.

schmalzy

WKR

I’ve surprisingly had mostly the opposite experience when I tell people I retired from drinking; almost everyone drops it and more than a few have reached out about either moderating or also giving it up. I feel for you, the constant hard time from others gets old fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk