R Value

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I have a klymit static v insulated lite pad that I use year round. It has been a good 4 season pad, but I have been looking at the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm as an upgrade. I was wondering if it was worth spending the extra money for a small boost in R value (4.4 for the klymit vs 5.7 for the neoair) other than R value the specs are similar.

I have a klymit static v insulated lite pad that I use year round. It has been a good 4 season pad, but I have been looking at the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm as an upgrade. I was wondering if it was worth spending the extra money for a small boost in R value (4.4 for the klymit vs 5.7 for the neoair) other than R value the specs are similar.

So I have the xtherm and the lighter version of the xtherm that was a lower R-Value. I honestly dont feel any difference, until I do. I know that sounds kind of dumb to say, but Ive used my pro in the lower temps and not felt like I had tons of chill.

I think you would need to look at your entire gear kit to really figure out IF its needed. Inside a 3 season tent, on snow, no stove, floor less, wet ground, ground tarp etc.....

For the record, in my floorless in january I used an rvalue pad of 3.3 with a quilt and a thermarest liner and slept soundly no cold spots.

In my experience moving from the r 4.5 pad to the Xtherm pad at r 5.7 was a major improvement for me and I won’t ever be stepping down in r value. Froze my butt off before I switched and haven’t been anything less than pleased spending the extra money for the Xtherm. Will gladly buy another when this one fails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
Most of the the time I used a 0* ee quilt with a cimarron and stove. If not that shelter I unse a mountain Smith lt with some tyvek. I used my klymit pad late season Colorado with my quilt and did ok, but any colder I would have had issues.

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I am a huge fan of the x therm. able to get by with a much lighter bag, was losing most of my heat from underneath in the past. I feel its the best r-value per weight pad out there. I was able to get mine on sale for 150 after shopping for a bit.