Radios for Hunting

I am looking to pick up some radios that my dad and I can use while out hunting? What radios work best for you guys? I would like to be a couple miles away and still be able to communicate. Also being able to hook up ear pieces would be a bonus so that we can use them still when we are stalking. Any help is much appreciated.

Where are you hunting makes a huge difference? Trees or wide open. Also some states you can’t use radios to add in the harvest of animals.

OP
H
I am typically hunting in northern Utah. Quite an bit of up and down country with oak brush and trees.
I have never used them before and have seen people use them and they seem to help but I’m glad you brought that up. I never even thought about them being illegal but I can see your point now. Thanks for bringing that up. Are they legal in Utah? What about Colorado and Wyoming?

Vandy321

WKR
I am typically hunting in northern Utah. Quite an bit of up and down country with oak brush and trees.
I have never used them before and have seen people use them and they seem to help but I’m glad you brought that up. I never even thought about them being illegal but I can see your point now. Thanks for bringing that up. Are they legal in Utah? What about Colorado and Wyoming?

Pretty big grey area in their use, even where illegal upon first glance.

That being said, they are pretty unreliable depending on terrain...why not get a pair of inreach or zoleo?

OP
H
That is a great idea! I have heard of inReach but I haven’t heard of Zoleo before but it looks pretty cool. Thanks

BR00D

FNG
Mine just got stolen but I had 2 baofeng 5x3s, with disco32 ptts, disco32 8" broadband whip antennas connected to peltor comtacs. Works very well.

OP
H
Mine just got stolen but I had 2 baofeng 5x3s, with disco32 ptts, disco32 8" broadband whip antennas connected to peltor comtacs. Works very well.
Great! Thank you! I have heard great things about that brand.

in the islands we used marine radios also but i want to pick up a couple baofengs and try them too, seems they have a good following.
in the old days ,we would set up meeting times and use semaphore and binos to chat it up....

Ronin

FNG
Damn! That’s a big bit to the wallet. Sorry it got stolen.

gday5

FNG
We have used marine radios for years with decent success, even in mountainous terrain. It is pretty hard for any handheld radio to go directly through a mountain though. Most of my family uses Uniden and Cobra.