Rain covers for Kifaru T1

LitenFast

WKR
I will be looking for one for my EMR II when it comes in, I wouldn't go with out one personally, a wet pack gains a lot of weight that I have worked hard to leave at home!

Stid2677

WKR
It comes down to how much weight you want to pack and how best to allocate it for your needs. I use dry bags for other stuff, so I keep stuff I want dry in those bags. I have tried various pack covers and they were always more trouble than they were worth for me. The wind making them slap and flap constantly was also a PITA. I have a paratarp for bivy use so if really needed I could use that as a pack cover. By the time I get in and out of the pack and have to remove the cover and water transfer walking through brush just too much trouble. I also water treat all my gear to help prevent water retention.

That is also why I love that KU pack so much, seam sealed it stay very dry and soaks up zero water.

I'm with Luke I would rather allocate that 4 or more OZs to something else.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this was the last season we used them...as I recall everything in that pack got wet anyway...

Ray

WKR
They did a long time ago, but not sure why they stopped. I would guess they did not sell that well, but I'll ask.

My used Longhunter came with a Kifaru rain cover for both the pack and a rifle. Both are heavy duty and heavy. Pack cover is coated cordura -70d?- and 8.6oz. Huge compared to a sea to summit pack cover made from sil nylon.

I've never felt the need for a pack cover. Mainly cause all my important stuff is in dry bags. Well that and I found out the hard way they are hard to keep on your pack or keep from shredding apart when you start going through the alders/brush. A pack cover is just not something I found myself ever wanting and its been known to rain a bit in Alaska as well. :D

This picture shows exactly why I use a pack cover. :)

I keep all my stuff in silnylon or cuben bags in the pack and the sleeping system goes into a cuben drybag. I think I'll be looking at around 2.something ounces for a cover. I figure if it keeps my pack from soaking up that much water, which a pack could easily do, I'll be happy with it. In the past, I used my massive Barney's pack cover to make a temporary shelter over my head in some alders while I watched for sheep.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
This picture shows exactly why I use a pack cover. :)

HAHA......yep the bag was wet, but nothing inside the dry bags was. The harness still gets wet no matter what so really all you are doing is keeping the cordura dry. Maybe I'll weigh the difference between a dry and a wet highcamp sometime. If its more than a couple pounds it might be worth the trouble (maybe) but still having to take it off/on to access stuff is still makes it a pain.

The OR pack covers are the best ones I've used, but still just not my cup of tea. You guys can keep your fancy dry cordura :)

bigfish b.c

Lil-Rokslider
i run the kuiu one on my longhunter but i only use it at night when i leave my pack out ,so it doesnt get soaked & heavy,i put all my gear in water proof bags.

Stid2677

WKR
Some days, you just have to embrace the suck and channel your inner duck. :) Funny because on this day, I fished a pack cover out of the river.

P8140303_zps554cc508.jpg

amp713

WKR
Just hook up with the next pack company! Kifaru has the rhino, badlands the ox, the next big thing is bound to be a duck... I can feel it....

I might just go with a Cuben pack one of these days to have the uber lightweight and waterproof ability. Until then, I'll ride the HighCamp that I just picked up. I rarely get into my pack on a hike, other than to stop and eat, at which point I take the pack off anyways.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a pack cover mainly at night. My buddy and I run the KUIU XL ones. He covers his T1 just fine. I can't even recall actually hiking with the rain cover one, but its nice to be able to leave the pack out at night and have it still dry in the am. Its light weight insurance and the KUIU design is pretty nice for a rain cover. Can't imagine using one in the brush though..

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
I have used mine mainly at night as well, just a couple of times during the day. If you use a shelter that is big enough for you to bring your pack in they are probably less useful, but for tents with small vestibules or guys who just use bivys they can be valuable.