Rain Gear

SantaCJB

FNG
I enjoy duck hunting but I'm having a problem with rain gear. I've tried several jackets, coats, shells but still end up soaking wet at the end of the day. What rain gear will keep me dry. Note. I do wear waders so I'm only concerned with the upper half of my body. Any and all advice is welcomed.

I'm on my 3rd one in 25 years. They are warrantied for life and its been the zipper thats gone out on the last two. Cuffs aren't fully sealed with the velcro but bone dry outside of that. I like the bomber style for waders Wait a while you can usually get one on sale for $150.

OP
SantaCJB

SantaCJB

FNG
I'll take a look. Sounds like what I'm looking for. Thanks

Chuck44

FNG
I'm not trying to hate on Columbia but after gettign soaked one day after a boat ride in a downpour in Drakes's "waterproof" Wader Jacket I did some research on Waterproof Ratings and discovered that Drake...and Columbia at least at that time Waterproof Jackets are rated to only 10,000 mm Hydrostatic Head...that is fine for light/medium rain but will not withstand the pressure of wind-driven rain or "brush-busting". If you want something that will hold up to those, you need something with a 20,000+ mm rating.....Gore-Tex (Sitka, Beretta) or Toray (KUIU) to name a few. First Lite also claims over 20,000 mm but I don't know the manufacturer of that membrane. Waterproof gear with a high hydrostatic rating will readily advertise it....if you can't readily find it...it is likely 15,000 mm or less.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Been happy so far this year with my Sitka Delta wading jacket. Sunday was out in a steady rain & never let me down. Earlier in April, I was at my kids soccer game (shocked it was still being played) in a crazy down pour & it worked like advertised. Like almost white out style rain and I was OK heading to the car. (They called the game at that point.) But everyone was hauling @ss to their cars & I just walked like normal.

I also run a Sitka Dakota hoody that I've had for years that I've been in some heavy rain before & worked.

On Sunday I had an old Gander Mountain Tech H2O shell jacket that a let a buddy borrow & he was perfectly dry. I've been in near hail storms in North Dakota with that shell and was dry inside. I bring this up cuz there's some real solid options out there that don't break the bank.

I'm not trying to hate on Columbia but after gettign soaked one day after a boat ride in a downpour in Drakes's "waterproof" Wader Jacket I did some research on Waterproof Ratings and discovered that Drake...and Columbia at least at that time Waterproof Jackets are rated to only 10,000 mm Hydrostatic Head...that is fine for light/medium rain but will not withstand the pressure of wind-driven rain or "brush-busting". If you want something that will hold up to those, you need something with a 20,000+ mm rating.....Gore-Tex (Sitka, Beretta) or Toray (KUIU) to name a few. First Lite also claims over 20,000 mm but I don't know the manufacturer of that membrane. Waterproof gear with a high hydrostatic rating will readily advertise it....if you can't readily find it...it is likely 15,000 mm or less.
While this true, I’ve been soaked in gortex more times than I can count and never been wet ever in any of my current 5 omnitech garments (or the two previous widgeon jackets) It isn’t as breathable though.

Maybe better seam sealing on the Columbias than the gortex clothes I have had? My theory is longer lasting DWR on the face than on the gortex stuff I’ve had.

For what it’s worth I borrowed my dads Sitka downpour and thought it was fantastic.

Chuck44

FNG
After my research mentioned above, I settled on the Sitka Delta Wading Jacket and have never been wet in it. At that time (6-7 years ago), there were limited options for 20,000mm rated jackets in suitable camo for duck hunting....now there are many other options.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I enjoy duck hunting but I'm having a problem with rain gear. I've tried several jackets, coats, shells but still end up soaking wet at the end of the day. What rain gear will keep me dry. Note. I do wear waders so I'm only concerned with the upper half of my body. Any and all advice is welcomed.
FYI that Columbia is on sale this week