Rain pants as your primary pant?

Lowg08

WKR
On anything I’m going to sweat it’s definitely merino. I did hike a mile in Sitka dew point rain pants this past year with just corrugate foundry under them with all my hip vents open and could feel the sweat running down my legs

This is something I'm also wondering for an upcoming hunt.
When Its cold 8 have a couple pairs of rivers west pants I've had for years. They worked great for cat hunting.
But they are hot and trap all the moisture in.

Wrench

WKR
Yes, kryptek. I bought the rivers west when it came out and it simply doesn't breathe.

The kryptek is supernatural in breathability.

EdP

WKR
My guide on a Wy MD hunt this past Oct wore rain pants with a base layer underneath. Temps were mid 20s to mid 30s and very windy at times. He was about 5' 10" and a slim build and regulated his temp with a face mask and hood. It certainly worked well for him and that's the key. One factor to consider is that he was in control of how long we sat and when we moved, so if he got cold, we were moving. As the client, I had less control and needed more flexibility in my clothing. I also get hot fast when moving, especially uphill, and get cold fast when stopped, so it is very much an individual thing.

I currently have four or five pairs but several of them are back ups that I’ve never worn. I’m still wearing my originals/1st ones I ever bought back in 2013, I think. I’ve put some holes in them (ripped them with my crampons last year), but I just repair them and move on. I wash them in Nikwax, then spray them down with the Nikwax spray at the end of each hunt, and they’re still working fine. When they finally do give up the ghost, I’ll just toss ‘em and pull out the next pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the original chugach was about the perfect rain gear, the durability went down a bit when they went to the NX version... i wish i would have seen that coming because i would have bought several pair as well. i still use my original jacket winter steelhead fishing... those gen 1 chugachs seemed to be very good at "self healing" with pinholes. the kutana storm shell is pretty comparable (lighter than yukon, but tougher than current chugach)