Rain/Snow For Archery Openers?

Handful of western states open up for archery deer hunting this weekend or early next week (CO, WY, ID) with rain and snow showers mixed in the forecast...what have folks seen this weather do to the early high country bucks?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Handful of western states open up for archery deer hunting this weekend or early next week (CO, WY, ID) with rain and snow showers mixed in the forecast...what have folks seen this weather do to the early high country bucks?

Nothing on a storm this early. When the sun pops back out a few days later, the bucks are usually there again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jaden Bales
Nothing on a storm this early. When the sun pops back out a few days later, the bucks are usually there again.

So if these showers are coming through quickly during the day, do you see bucks getting up and feeding more midday or does it pretty much just keep them hunkered and on normal schedules?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
So if these showers are coming through quickly during the day, do you see bucks getting up and feeding more midday or does it pretty much just keep them hunkered and on normal schedules?

I think it depends but here in WA it’s either raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock or nothing. If it’s raining there is 100% chance I can’t see anything past 50 yards. They could be out

Wapiti1

WKR
Really depends on the type of rain. All day drizzle and they get up more often to warm up and relocate their bed. They don't travel far, and may just bed back where they were. Usually will bed in thicker timber or under a big tree.
Heavy rain and they stick tight to cover. Passing showers and they do their normal thing.

At least that is what I have seen in MT.

I love the rain during archery because I can go into the timber after them and stay quiet. Especially if there is a long all day soaker or drizzle.

Jeremy

OP
Jaden Bales
Really depends on the type of rain. All day drizzle and they get up more often to warm up and relocate their bed. They don't travel far, and may just bed back where they were. Usually will bed in thicker timber or under a big tree.
Heavy rain and they stick tight to cover. Passing showers and they do their normal thing.

At least that is what I have seen in MT.

I love the rain during archery because I can go into the timber after them and stay quiet. Especially if there is a long all day soaker or drizzle.

Jeremy
Man, there's the silver lining! Definity will make the woods quieter. Good luck out there!

OP
Jaden Bales
Field report - I saw my buck the morning before the snowstorm last week. I could not find my buck any of the following 3 days after the storm, though.

Not sure where he went, but I would imagine that cold snap changed his pattern up.