Ram/hemi guys - lifter issue

Not a mechanic, but I do a fair amount of maintenance and repair on my own vehicles. I own a ‘12 ram 1500 that developed a tick. In my case it was a leaky exhaust manifold due to broken studs which seems to be very common. Hard to tell from the video how similar the noise is, but I would rule that out for certain.

OP
F
Yeah I am thinking that sounds worse then exhaust leak and is internal. Cam smacking lifter.

I think the missfire on dodges is usually from a issues in the head. Pretty sure your issue is even bigger.

Sounds like your ready for an engine

Randle

WKR
Either a worn lifter roller , cam lobe or collapsed lifter is possibly the problem. Could be a rocker bolt has loosened up but havent seen that lately.
Dont wait for a misfire , pull the valve cover and see whats going . Scan tool may show misfires counts even though nit felt yet, to get you to the correct bank.
Or listen with a stethoscope to see which bank it is.

Gone4Days

WKR
The exhaust leak is loud on startup but quits after a warm up. if it stops after a minute or two it’s an exhaust manifold. Mine needs to be done once I find time. Get underneath on passenger side and check the heat shield over the manifold. The bolts break from the manifold warping and it’s the heat shield that makes the awful noise. There are plenty of youtube videos showing where the heat shield bolts break

Last edited:
OP
F
Yeah the bolts look ok on the manifold though the heat shield did rust off some time ago. I will pull the valve cover tomorrow . I knows
It’s the driver side I’ll see what the rockers are doing

Explanation
Most lifter noise is caused by a sticky spring/check ball. The spring gets gummed-up by sticky oil varnish and does not allow the check ball to seat, causing the rocker arm/lifter to lose pressure and make a rapid tapping noise based on the engine rpm.

Suggestion
Go buy a can of Sea Foam High Mileage Motor Treatment and eyeball two-thirds of the can into the oil crankcase. Drive the truck as normal and pay attention to the noise. If the sound gets quieter or goes away, problem resolved. If a varnish problem, things can get better within a day or two. Sea Foam is oil that works to reliquefy heavier oil residue back into the liquid oil phase. Works similar to how paint thinner (petroleum) works to easily wash oil paint (petroleum) from your hands. Pretty simple.

If it ends up working for you, keep adding half a can every oil interval to progressively reduce the varnish buildup in your truck's crankcase.

Hope this helps! :)

tuffcity

WKR
Put a code reader on it and if it says cylinder 3 start looking for a replacement engine. At about 120000 miles mine started filling up the engine with metal bits. If you're handy, pull the vvt actuator. If it's clean put a new cam shaft and lifters in it- your engine will be mostly torn apart by then any way. If the screen is covered in metal-- look for a new engine.

I'll be about $10K (CAN) to replace and install. Yeehaa... That's on a 2014 1500.

OP
F
Put a code reader on it and if it says cylinder 3 start looking for a replacement engine. At about 120000 miles mine started filling up the engine with metal bits. If you're handy, pull the vvt actuator. If it's clean put a new cam shaft and lifters in it- your engine will be mostly torn apart by then any way. If the screen is covered in metal-- look for a new engine.

I'll be about $10K (CAN) to replace and install. Yeehaa... That's on a 2014 1500.
Code reader for what? No misfire no cel

tuffcity

WKR
Maybe you've caught it early enough then. Mine threw a CEL. Mine sounded like yours for a few months and I thought it was the exhaust manifold for a while, as it sounded similar to when one of the manifolds did need fixing.

The misfires started awhile after the CEL popped up. I tried the usual "fixes" : new plugs, moved the plug wires harnesses around, cleaned the intake, etc.

OP
F
Maybe I am crazy but I was just laying under the truck it kinda sounds like it’s from the bell housing

JakeT

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely doesn't sound like the exhaust manifold to me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Randle

WKR
You can get a long piece of plastic tube and move it around the exh manifold ports and around the collector pipe while listening thru the other end if you suspect broken flange bolts causing a leak. you will hear an air puffing or spitting noise.

OP
F
I think it’s a failing lifter . I am going to tear it apart and replace all the lifters and cam

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 2011 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi that started with getting poor power and gas mileage. Told the dealership there was something wrong with the motor (60k miles). They said nothing was wrong. This kept going for another 50k miles and then they said I needed a new motor ($9k).

I took the cam and lifters out and one lifter was ground down pretty bad and another was locked up. I replaced the cam, lifters, head gaskets, timing chain, head bolts, etc.. for about $2900.

James K

FNG
I might have missed it but what year is the truck? Definitely not a manifold crack/bolt, unfortunately. You can hear the tempo change as the motor revs. I have a 2019 Rebel 5.7 and am constantly on the lookout for lifter issues as well. I currently have what they think is a cracked passenger side manifold which is getting replaced in February under warranty. Waiting till hunting season is over.

OP
F
It’s a 2014. I ordered all the parts to do the jib myself. 2400 bucks. Dealer wants 5200 and they only changing the bad lifter not all of them