Ram/hemi guys - lifter issue

OP

Can you confirm that it's a failed lifter?

If not, here are the 3 most likely causes of the textbook lifter noise I'm hearing in your vid:
  1. Sticky lifter is most common by a landslide. Easy fix for $10, already posted - see #10. Hemi 5.7 and Chevy 5.3 are notorious for oil varnish buildup that can cause lifter noise.
  2. Failed lifter spring (see photo of broken/collapsed spring). You'd see it clearly with valve cover removed. Would also be wiggly.
  3. There is a locked up roller bearing (in follower, bearing developed a flat spot).
thumbnail_Resized_USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1611023149796_675712084128401694...jpg

Based on the info offered in this thread, my all my money is on the varnish cause... A trip to the parts store, 10 bucks, pour into the oil filler, and drive for a few days. Hoping I'm correct for your sake, less my own. Just trying to be helpful.

OP
F
OP

Can you confirm that it's a failed lifter?

If not, here are the 3 most likely causes of the textbook lifter noise I'm hearing in your vid:
  1. Sticky lifter is most common by a landslide. Easy fix for $10, already posted - see #10. Hemi 5.7 and Chevy 5.3 are notorious for oil varnish buildup that can cause lifter noise.
  2. Failed lifter spring (see photo of broken/collapsed spring). You'd see it clearly with valve cover removed. Would also be wiggly.
  3. There is a locked up roller bearing (in follower, bearing developed a flat spot).
View attachment 648811

Based on the info offered in this thread, my all my money is on the varnish cause... A trip to the parts store, 10 bucks, pour into the oil filler, and drive for a few days. Hoping I'm correct for your sake, less my own. Just trying to be helpful.
Considerinf how popular the lifter failure is on these trucks. I’m gunna bet it’s that. I don’t plan on doing the work for a few weeks. But I’ll pour some stuff in. What am I pouring in?

Screen Shot 2023-12-29 at 3.27.58 PM.png
See screenshot for what I am recommending. Just to diagnose varnish contamination in the crankcase, process of elimination. If it doesn't work, it's not varnish related.

OP
F
Could the lifter tick be intermittent. Like one day taping away the next quiet. But returns again when it feels like it. I don’t mean like heats up and goes away. I mean like taping like crazy like the video one min then the next day gone . Comes and goes