Ramps

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
One of my favorite things in spring. Ramps (wild leeks). We will have these in just about everything for the next week then have to wait another year for more.

Attachments

• EF199A0C-3CB1-4465-A8BF-4BF4E1D274D9.jpeg
    EF199A0C-3CB1-4465-A8BF-4BF4E1D274D9.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 24

Tod osier

WKR
Love them!

roasted...
hBcwrxb.jpg

With wild turkey...
5CWyGag.jpg

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys dig your own? If so, what does ramp habitat look like where you find them?

I’ve never found them close to where I live.

I got some from a lady that would go to West Virginia and dig them every year. That was a few years ago. I’d like to get out and find some myself.

Edit: Not looking for any “honey holes”, just some tips.😂

Last edited:

BAKPAKR

WKR
Do you guys dig your own? If so, what does ramp habitat look like where you find them?

I got some from a lady that would go to West Virginia and dig them every year. That was a few years ago. I’d like to get out and find some myself.

I usually find them on steep hillsides above 3000’. This patch, however, was on the flattest spot on the hill.

6E9D29C7-9EE6-4CC7-A8F2-8844217BAFE2.jpeg

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
I found some in a ditch last Saturday. Was driving along and found a bunch. This was on the hillside of a creek bottom. I had never dug them before. Used them in a few dishes this week. They were great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
RichP

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
Shady hillside just above a creek. Very wet soil.

Attachments

• 68A4D472-5C73-4B82-99CE-95DF443C54DD.jpeg
    68A4D472-5C73-4B82-99CE-95DF443C54DD.jpeg
    609.3 KB · Views: 19

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member

where r u from in virginia? I could point you to a couple spots to find plenty, however they are mostly right on the line or slightly into west virginia

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I lucked out and have a bunch growing in some woods next to some ag ground we work, probably an acre of them or better. This is my first year having them, but they have gone in any and everything for the last few weeks. Hank Shaw's ramp pesto has been great on my sandwiches. Where I have found them is just a typical hardwood forest on little higher ground. Haven't seen as many in low areas.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I've not tried the dehydrated route before, although I don't know why as we dehydrate Morels almost yearly. If you want to try something different, try pickled Ramps.