Ramshot TAC Temp Stability?

Has anyone done a deep dive into the temp stability of Ramshot TAC? I've hunted with it in my 308 in mild to semi cold temps here in Tennessee, but ranges were less than 300 yards and zero didn't change much.

Anyone see big swings with it?

This might help if you haven't seen it already. When I was looking for a powder to use in my .223 I used this to reach the conclusion that the temperature sensitivity wasn't likely to be super critical for the temps and ranges I'm generally hunting in. I haven't tested temperature sensitivity yet myself in .223, but plan to do so this winter.

xsn10s

WKR
My chrono isn't reliable enough to exactly say. But I have noticed an increase in pressure from my spring loads to summer (95 degrees and above) loads. This was with my AR15 and 308 win loads.

MThuntr

WKR
While I prefer "temp stable" powders it's probably not that big of deal. The issue is when you push the pressure envelope on load development at say 50 degrees in the spring and you go hunt a desert animal at 90 degrees. The pressures can get kind of dangerous on a hot load while a mild load may not be all that affected especially if you're shooting within 400 yards.

FWIW, I have friends that use TAC and like it.

prm

WKR
When I tested it on my 338 Fed it lost 70-90 fps from 70deg to 10deg. About like every other ball powder I’ve tried. The test in the link above looks pretty legitimate to me. My tests are rather basic. I load four, shoot two in warm conditions, and two when we get a cold spell. I leave them and the rifle out all night. Measure with a Magnetospeed.

Last edited:
While I prefer "temp stable" powders it's probably not that big of deal. The issue is when you push the pressure envelope on load development at say 50 degrees in the spring and you go hunt a desert animal at 90 degrees. The pressures can get kind of dangerous on a hot load while a mild load may not be all that affected especially if you're shooting within 400 yards.

FWIW, I have friends that use TAC and like it.

This was my experience. Worked up a load for my .223 in 50-ish degree weather, no problems but I was over max.

Went rockchuck shooting in the heat and got to buy a new firing pin assembly.

Valuable lesson learned, inexpensively.

I felt shame.

P

Reactions: FLS