Range finder

I’m thinking about the Vortex bc of their warranty
Respectfully, a warranty is useless on the mountain 5 miles from the truck.
Definitely get one that compensates for the slope angle (True Ballistic Range). 600 yards down a 30 degree hill side is not exactly a 600 yard shot.
Also keep in mind the "max distance" rating isn't based on a brown furry animal in low light so get more than you think you'll need.
I have the Leupold RX-1300i TBR & it's great.
Oh yeah, always carry a spare battery with you.

Leupold RX1600 TBR (or whatever their latest version is) for archery hunting spot and stalk in the mountains. They have the programming figured out:

1), angle corrected yardage is displayed instantly when you range something.
2). Angle corrected yardage is displayed constantly in scan mode.

On my Leica R1000 the first reading in the display is line of sight yardage. About 2-1/2 seconds later LOS yardage is
replaced by the angle corrected yardage. Also in scan mode you get LOS not angle corrected readings. Flawed logic from my perspective. I need angle corrected yardage and want it right now. I always range any animal in scan mode prior to the shot to ensure I am ranging it, not a twig, blade of grass or the mountain beyond it. You have to take repeat readings that I have to wait on the results to be angle corrected on the Leica.

Last edited:
If your going to shoot rifle long range get a Gunwerks. It's a great rangefinder. I had a Leupold and it's fine for short range but junk for long range

On my second Leica rangefinder. Reliable and done everything I need. If you can swing the price I would recommend a Leica.

what do you consider long range?
I had the 1000TBR and my cousin missed a deer (I was ranging for him and we shoot the same cartridge from the same custom gun maker) and a couple antelope over 400 yards (that's not that far). We would make the correction that the rangefinder would give us and he would shoot over their backs. We practiced to 800 yards before the hunt (shooting steel plates). Very comfortable shooting to 600 yards.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a fan of Leica. They consistantly range to their designed yardage. When they say 1,000 yards on the side of the range finder they mean it. i've compared a few other brands from hunting buddies and none of them have ranged to the distances they were supposed to. Leica also does very well at ranging through mist, fog, etc.

Nerhunter

FNG
All rangefinders perform on sunny days no rain/snow off the brown side of the barn in the back field. Pull it out on windy, fog/snow on sage of Wyoming at 650 yards and all the cheap glass and tech crumbles and you wish you could get any reading from your Chinese junk. Leica will give you the best chance to 1000 yds, has for me for 10 years.

romadant

FNG
I mostly bow hunt and run a relatively cheap Bushnell Trophy Extreme. Have had it for a few years and see reason to upgrade.

Mosby

WKR
I buy a new rangefinder around every 5 years. It seems the technology, size, range and reliability improves within that timeframe enough to warrant a change. I have have had Zeiss, Leica and now a Leupold. The new one goes on my pack and the old one stays in the truck for back up. I like the size and features of the Leupold 1600 I am running right now and recommend them.