Range Practice Ammo Selection

eroksolfe

FNG
There is likely a chat already on this topic but I couldn’t find it. I’m looking for the pros / cons / recommendations for selecting a round to practice with at the range vs hunt with. I’m relatively new to long range shooting and am not yet a reloader so I’d have to buy new. Starting out I’m focused more on shooting fundamentals then bullet optimization. I shoot an X-Bolt 30-06. I’m also hunting in California which means non-lead ammo only for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you just want to practice fundamentals then I would buy a .223 or even a .22. Shooting skills are learned by repetition, basically the more you shoot (correctly) the better you get.
Figure out your load for your hunting rifle and just stick with that load. I'm not saying to not practice with your 06, just work on your shooting skills with something easier and cheaper to shoot.....

I practice with the exact same (pricey) lot-matched ammo I hunt with. Buy lot-matched cases once, cry and be happy the rest of the time.

It is more expensive to shoot the better ammo, but I like to shoot the ammo my gun likes and what I plan to shoot with. You get to know that gun and bullet better that way

The Federal Trophy Bonded Tip, Barnes TTSX (all metal) 180 grain and the Hornady ELDX 178 grain, shoot great from my X Bolt Speed 30 06. I choose the Federal TBT and bought 6 boxes of the same lot. I would have chosen the Barnes but got a better deal on the Federal! The Barnes did shoot awesome and would work in CA. For longer range you might want to drop down to a Barnes 165 grain.

For practice ammo I found the Federal Fusion to shoot great and to the same point of impact at 100 yards. Only cost about $22/box in TN.

I also practice with a .22 for general fundamentals. I can shoot in my backyard but the neighbors get mad if I shoot the 30 06 or 300 win mag too much!!!!!!!!!!

There is likely a chat already on this topic but I couldn’t find it. I’m looking for the pros / cons / recommendations for selecting a round to practice with at the range vs hunt with. I’m relatively new to long range shooting and am not yet a reloader so I’d have to buy new. Starting out I’m focused more on shooting fundamentals then bullet optimization. I shoot an X-Bolt 30-06. I’m also hunting in California which means non-lead ammo only for hunting.

I can't send you a pm for a few more days but does this forum allow you to send me a pm still?