Rangefinding Binos with ballistic capabilities

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to buy a good pair of Binos. I am a little torn between the Lieca 2700 HDs and the Vortex Fury 5000 AB.
I want the alpha glass, but the ballistics calculator built in to the Vortex and its price point are very tempting. I know Lieca makes their own version, but $3000 for the 3200.com is a hard pill to swallow, even the $2200 for the 2700s is difficult for me to wrap my head around and is definitely the max I am willing to even consider spending. I have a bad taste in my mouth from past experiences with Vortex and their quality and their warranty isn't a selling point as I will likely have to use it.

I have seen some of the older Geovid HD-Bs go for around $2000 and I am aware they have the ballistic calculator in them as well. I am curious as to how the glass compares with the newer Geovids as well as how accurate the data it produces. I'd really like to cut down on a step of having to enter data in to my kestrel when preparing for long shots and am not opposed to buying some used glass.

handwerk

WKR
I think you would be pretty happy with the Geovids, great glass and they have been in the rangefinder business for a long time.
I am still happy with mine and they are 8(?) years old.

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I have a lieca 1600 Rangefinder that has been outstanding and continues to work flawlessly. I just want to cut out one more thing to carry around.

Badseed

WKR
I don’t think there is much comparison between the Leica and vortex. Leica is hands down better across the board which is what you are paying extra for. The glass in the leicas is tough to beat. They bring in so much light that you can scan for animals about 20 minutes before and after normal 20/20 vision will allow. If you are not in a hurry you can find good deals on geovids. I recently got a demo 2700 for $1700. The new Leica passport warranty is a big incentive also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with the leica 10x42hd-r 2700 and don't regret my choice yet. Will see this September if I made the perfect choice.

JGRaider

WKR
From what I understand, the ballistic capabilities of the Fury AB exceeds most all Leica models except the new 3200's. Those on-board cookie cutter ballistic programs don't cut it IMO.

Jimss

WKR
I’ve been told the leicas are even better than Swaro’s. I’d take your time and either find a used or demo Leica. I bought a demo from Cameraland for a heck of a discount.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Good choice. I personally think vortex are junk. Their lazer is better than the older geovids, but that’s about it. The new lazer in the geovid is pretty awesome.

I think onboard ballistic calculators are a gimmick to some degree. They are hard to manipulator and true. They will give you bad temperature readings because you cant clear the sensor like a kestrel. I think the most efficient way is to use a bdc turret to 500 yards with minimal margin of error, then use a kestrel past that. There are a lot of turrets you can get engraved for yardage and moa/mills.

Venatic

FNG
I haven’t found any of them to be gimmicky as far as ballistic capabilities go. You can easily override any of the environmental data if you feel they are off say just getting out of a warm vehicle into cold conditions but the same is true of a Kestre.
I will say that some of the tracking and location data built into the binoculars has not been all that great but the Ballistics have been good

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t found any of them to be gimmicky as far as ballistic capabilities go. You can easily override any of the environmental data if you feel they are off say just getting out of a warm vehicle into cold conditions but the same is true of a Kestre.
I will say that some of the tracking and location data built into the binoculars has not been all that great but the Ballistics have been good
I guess gimmick isn’t the right word. I feel like many are slow to use if you need to make changes and some are difficult to true a trajectory from 0-1200 yards. I’ve had bad luck with Bluetooth connectivity as well. A kestrel is simple, quick, and you don’t need Bluetooth to make changes. The new revic binos are intriguing though!

Can you turn off the ballistics features and turn these into a simple rangefinder? If so, does this speed up the ranging?

Venatic

FNG
Can you turn off the ballistics features and turn these into a simple rangefinder? If so, does this speed up the ranging?
Don’t think you can turn them off completely but no it doesn’t speed up ranging.
I have owned and used the Swarovski TA/Leica Pros/ Sig 10 K/Vortex Fury 5000 and just got the Revic’s and they are all very fast to range with and capable.
Sig 10 K has strongest RF but also has worst glass with its blue tint.

goosedog

FNG
Has anybody upgraded the 3200.coms with the applied ballistics app does this change the ballistics in the bino itself? or does it just imput the yardage in the app on your phone or kestrel

Weldor

WKR
I just picked up a pair of Ziess 10x42 rfb, used Geovids for the last decade. I am still schooling myself on the ballistic's on the Zeiss. Glass is excellent and rangefinder is fast.