Binos for my soon to be 8 year old.

Sandstrom

WKR
My soon to be 8 year old informed me that he wants to see a snowy owl for his birthday, of course, in the wild and not at a zoo:). I am looking forward to the challenge! I was already thinking of getting him a set of half-ways decent binos, as he will occasionally sit by the window and watch the critters in the yard for a half hour or so.
I was looking at the vortex diamondbacks in either 8x32 or 8x28. Am I on the right track? Would you pick one over the other? Are there any other budget friendly/similar options I should look at?

Thanks,
Ryan

the1adman

FNG
I purchased the Kowa YF II 8x30 for my 9 year old daughter last year. They were the most recommended and I agree.

bnsafe

WKR
midway has a pair of bushnell prime 10 x on sale for 69 bucks. Were 150. I know what they are, but, hes 8, he wont know the difference.

Full disclosure: I'm a Vortex hater (they have the best warranty that you WILL need). And that's exactly why my 9 year old has the 8x32 Vortex Diamondbacks. When he drops them out of the deer stand they will get replaced (probably for free).

KenLee

WKR
Sightron 8x32 SII Blue Sky.
Amazing for the $100 I paid.
Keep a set in each vehicle, just in case.
For the price, won't cry if they get stolen.

my 5 and 7 year olds are doing fine with Vortex diamondback 8x42's. as others have already said, the vortex warranty gives great piece of mind for this particular purchase. lower mag and larger fov really help kids actually find stuff through binos.

The Bushnell's are pretty legit for the $. My son rolls some 8x42's. If I ran over my Maven's I'm certain I could grit out a hunt with the Bushnell's.

Marshfly

WKR
Kids binos are one place where you can't beat Vortex. Pick your budget and just buy them.

When he proves he can take care of them gift him a nice set for xmas or his birthday. 13 or 14yo seems to be about that time.

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
My boys were 6 & 9 year ago when I purchased them each binoculars. The youngest got maven C2 7 x 28 and the older got Vortex diamondback 8 x 32. Both have held up and served their purposes as well.

Sightron 8x32 SII Blue Sky.
Amazing for the $100 I paid.
Keep a set in each vehicle, just in case.
For the price, won't cry if they get stolen.
This is the answer. For the price, they can't be touched. They're so good I have cheap but well-paid friends using them as their primary glass.

they may be a little big- but if you are near a Costco I'd look for the Leupold Rainer setup they have.
$150 and you get 10x42, a knife and a light I believe and a harness of sorts.
THats what my buddy bought for our Sheep Hunt last year and he was spotting sheep.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
My beaters are SVBony ED 8x32. There is a lot of reviews/comparisons on birdforum and nothing in the price range (100ish) will touch them. My father in law has a pair strapped to the rack of his ATV that sits outside for over a year now. Basically just cutting out the middle man on the "name brand" China optics

I just bought my 5 year old a set of vortex bantams. They are great for what they are…small and light, and they fold up to their narrow pupillary distance. My adult binos would not bend close enough for my son to get a good view and he picks these up perfect. I think the 6x power helps him keep them steadier/find things easier as well. I havent tested them hard yet but the optical performance seems good for what they are, clear picture, large focus are/edge clarity, etc. I plan to use them myself as compact set when hunting from my saddle in the timber as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk