Binos for my soon to be 8 year old.

Laramie

WKR
Not sure why so many guys are anti Vortex when it comes to Binos. My wife and kids both use diamondbacks and I use viper hds. I actually prefer them over many of the higher priced optics on the market. I have never heard of anyone using the warranty for their binos, or their range finders. Scopes are a different story but no reason, imo, to hold the scopes against them when shopping for binos.

CorbLand

WKR
Not sure why so many guys are anti Vortex when it comes to Binos. My wife and kids both use diamondbacks and I use viper hds. I actually prefer them over many of the higher priced optics on the market. I have never heard of anyone using the warranty for their binos, or their range finders. Scopes are a different story but no reason, imo, to hold the scopes against them when shopping for binos.
Hard to not like the warranty for little kids. I need a set of binos for duck hunting and am looking at Vortex because they will be left in a blind bag in and out of boats, blinds, etc. The piece of mind from the warranty is nice.

With that said, I sold optics for years and we sent back plenty of Vortex binos. We sold 10-15 Diamondbacks a week and would generally sell the display model. I sent back plenty of optics out of the box due to many different reasons. I actually got to the point of asking the buyer to open the optics before leaving the store because people would go home and come back a day or two later. Double vision, stiff to seized focus wheel, broken eye cups, fogging, you name it, I saw it out of the box on many Diamondbacks. Viper and up had less issues but still some. We also sent a couple pairs of Swaros back out of the box as well. Out of all the binos we sold, nothing had a failure rate to the level that Diamondbacks did.

Buzby

WKR
I would pay attention to pupillary distance. I think a lot of binos won’t adjust small enough for a child to get the right view

OP
Sandstrom

Sandstrom

WKR
Thanks for all the advice!! I ended up getting the diamondback hd 8x32. I liked them way more than the 8x28. I ended up buying them from a local camera place that was great!!! Can’t wait for my little buddy to open them!!
Ryan

My soon to be 8 year old informed me that he wants to see a snowy owl for his birthday, of course, in the wild and not at a zoo:). I am looking forward to the challenge! I was already thinking of getting him a set of half-ways decent binos, as he will occasionally sit by the window and watch the critters in the yard for a half hour or so.
I was looking at the vortex diamondbacks in either 8x32 or 8x28. Am I on the right track? Would you pick one over the other? Are there any other budget friendly/similar options I should look at?

Thanks,
Ryan
Fyi cabelas is currently selling a vortex viper hd 10x42. It's the older version but it's amazing glass at $299. I'd look at that over the diamondback. It's way better and not much more money.