Rattlesnakes in October in Wyoming

grfox92

WKR
I am currently planning an Antelope hunt in the middle of Wyoming in mid October. I know Ive heard guys say they are everywhere out there, but even in mid October? I could imagine August and September but not sure when you stop seeing them.

I HATE snakes. They aren't going to stop me from hunting. Just want to know if I need chaps or snake boots to make me a little ore comfortable.

Didn't see a single one on my 5 day trip in September 2017. I'm sure they are there, but weather will play a huge role. I was at 7000+ feet which I'm sure makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Not everywhere but plenty of them. They will be out as long as it is warm, even until end of October.
Prairie rattlers are not usually aggressive snakes. We relocate a bunch every year instead of killing them, they eat vermin.
Higher the elevation, less likely to see them.

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen them into November some years, just depends on the temps (and to some degree, the snake). That said, I absolutely hate snakes but I have never worn chaps or snake boots in the field. Just be aware that they are around and you'll be just fine.

RyDog450r

FNG
Couple years ago we never ran across any in central WY during the antelope opener.

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
No snake sightings in Wyoming for us early October last year. Did see a couple in western South Dakota later that same week though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlin59

WKR
There can be a flurry of snake activity in October as they move into the hills/rocks to den for the winter. Often will see them crossing roads moving towards their den. I almost hit one on I-25 just out of Casper mid-October last year.

I have been running around the prairies of northeast Wyoming for over 30 years and I can count on one hand the number of rattlesnakes I have seen.

ClearCreek

Jimss

WKR
I've been hunting Wyo rattlesnake country for around 45 years and never have been that concerned about rattlers. As mentioned above, be aware and keep your eyes and ears open....and you'll be ok. I never wear chaps or tall boots and I work in rattlesnake country just about every day. No one I know has ever been bitten....knock on wood!

bdan68

WKR
We saw one last year and one the year before, while antelope hunting. But this was in mid-September. The first one my brother almost stepped on. It was in the open and coiled up but my brother apparently wasn't looking at the ground. I grabbed him and pulled him back just before he stepped on it. Last year kind of the same thing happened except I didn't see it as it was in tall grass. But it was rattling like crazy and I told my brother to stop. He said what for, and I said don't you hear that? He didn't. I got it to rattle even more and he still couldn't hear it. Too much shooting over the years without ear protection. So if you don't have good ears you might try to avoid walking through grass where you can't see snakes.

isu22andy

WKR
Dont do anything stupid or look for trouble and youll be fine. We asked the biologist from Wyoming about them , he said hes worked there for 20 some odd years and only one person has been killed by one . The person that got killed was trying to catch it for a contest as well....

Blinn

FNG
Snakes will most certainly still be out and about if the weather is still nice. As long as you leave them alone, and stay clear if you hear one light up, you will be fine. Just be careful if you are on the ground crawling and putting a stock on an animal. Be careful walking back to the truck after dark. Gravel roads will heat up during the day. You will find snakes on the road after dark as a result (have a headlamp). I have had to do some high knees on a couple of occasions:). I was archery elk hunting in SE MT two years ago. I probably saw a half dozen eagles/hawks carrying snakes as they flew over me. I don't know if they were rattlers or not, but damn I hated it!!!

Cinch

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen them as late as late November... with patches of snow on the ground...

I was out there for 6 days this last year. Tagged out opening morning so spent the majority of the week shooting p dogs. I was hoping to see one and never did. I wouldn’t worry too much.

Dead Coyote

Lil-Rokslider
You have better chance of being killed by a Grizzly, then being bit by a Rattle Snake and die. Just saying! Hunted Wyoming for almost forty years and have seen and killed less then a dozen.