Re-barreling my 300WM to a 7PRC

Yay or nay? Been thinking about it over the last year the idea of swapping out for a 7PRC chambered barrel on my Remington 700 action, currently a 300 win mag. I haven't touched the 300 win mag since buying my 6.5PRC 4 years ago so the idea of repurposing my 300 sounds like a fun idea. Believe they use the same bolt face. Anyone on here have any experience with this topic? anything to watch out for?

The 300WM right now is a bit portly +/-12.5lbs, its the Remington Sendero heavy 26" barrel with a nightforce NXS 5.5-22. Thinking like a OMR remington pre fit 7PRC 24" carbon barrel to cut some weight and maybe ditch the HS precision stock for something lighter as well.

thanks for any input

TaperPin

WKR
Up front I should say I’m a big 7 Rem mag fan, but the case and chamber design on the prc is just better. My 7 rem mag had a slightly tight custom chamber for accuracy, something the prc has built in.

The bolt face is the same, but the front of the prc is fatter, so you might need a different magazine if feeding is a problem. Wyatt’s has a magazine that will work, or if you find a factory magazine for 300 rum that also has more room for thicker cartridges.

Whenever a rifle isn’t being used it makes sense to make it into something fun!

You get 300wm'ish external ballistics with less recoil so it makes sense.

Might want to do some research on your choice of gunsmiths if you haven't already https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/gunsmith-review-oregon-mountain-rifles.227753/

Could save money by just getting a steel barrel contoured to match your weight goals. If sporter contour doesn't have enough diameter for desired muzzle threads you can have a custom contour made with a shoulder on the muzzle or flute aggressively. I prefer a consistent barrel diameter over flutes.

Wrench

WKR
If you're not sentimental with the rifle...a 300win sendero brings good money on the used market. You could sell it and get a custom action and a good jump on a stock for even money and end up with a better finished product.

If you're not sentimental with the rifle...a 300win sendero brings good money on the used market. You could sell it and get a custom action and a good jump on a stock for even money and end up with a better finished product.

Excellent point. I'd definitely take this route but probably use a tikka.

OP
tydennison194
Up front I should say I’m a big 7 Rem mag fan, but the case and chamber design on the prc is just better. My 7 rem mag had a slightly tight custom chamber for accuracy, something the prc has built in.

The bolt face is the same, but the front of the prc is fatter, so you might need a different magazine if feeding is a problem. Wyatt’s has a magazine that will work, or if you find a factory magazine for 300 rum that also has more room for thicker cartridges.

Whenever a rifle isn’t being used it makes sense to make it into something fun!

Copy that, thank you for the heads up on that. I will start to compare and look at the dimensions. Kind of what my hopes are was a cool project!

OP
tydennison194
You get 300wm'ish external ballistics with less recoil so it makes sense.

Might want to do some research on your choice of gunsmiths if you haven't already https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/gunsmith-review-oregon-mountain-rifles.227753/

Could save money by just getting a steel barrel contoured to match your weight goals. If sporter contour doesn't have enough diameter for desired muzzle threads you can have a custom contour made with a shoulder on the muzzle or flute aggressively. I prefer a consistent barrel diameter over flutes.
thanks wind gypsy, I'll check that thread out, want it done right for sure. Yep definitely not opposed to a steel barrel for sure just early on in the research stage right now.

OP
tydennison194
Has definitely crossed my mind for sure! Not sentimental but I did have it blue printed when I bought it and has always shot lights out, I think I will look into the barrel swap for the time being and if turns out to be pain I will probably go down that road!

Spoonbill

WKR
Has definitely crossed my mind for sure! Not sentimental but I did have it blue printed when I bought it and has always shot lights out, I think I will look into the barrel swap for the time being and if turns out to be pain I will probably go down that road!
If you build on a Tikka, Proof makes 7prc prefits and that gets you a carbon barrel if you decide thats what you want. You shouldn’t have any issues with the magazine in a Tikka either. I am a big fan of Tikkas like a lot of people on here, but it would be a simpler build.

abilliott

Lil-Rokslider
What did you end up doing? I have been considering the same thing but some of the things I've been reading have me thinking that I would pretty much have the same gun when looking at taking game at a max 400-500yd.

OP
tydennison194
What did you end up doing? I have been considering the same thing but some of the things I've been reading have me thinking that I would pretty much have the same gun when looking at taking game at a max 400-500yd.
Haven’t done anything other than look around at a few talk to a few gun smiths. On average im going to be looking at around $1500 for truing, carbon 22-24” barrel chambered in 7prc, and labor. I’d still like to go this route, getting away from the belted cases would be nice and the BCs are better on the .284 barnes lrx 168 grain bullets over the .308 lrx 175 grain bullets i shoot now so theres a little gain in ballistics. The shortage of 7prc brass is really a bummer.

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Haven’t done anything other than look around at a few talk to a few gun smiths. On average im going to be looking at around $1500 for truing, carbon 22-24” barrel chambered in 7prc, and labor. I’d still like to go this route, getting away from the belted cases would be nice and the BCs are better on the .284 barnes lrx 168 grain bullets over the .308 lrx 175 grain bullets i shoot now so theres a little gain in ballistics. The shortage of 7prc brass is really a bummer.
Tikka supposedly has a 7prc coming in 2024…. I am hoping and praying to snag one when they do

abilliott

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka supposedly has a 7prc coming in 2024…. I am hoping and praying to snag one when they do
REALLY? This might be something to look into. I am thinking about picking up a buddy of mines tikka 300wm but if tikka really is coming out with one maybe I need to hold off on that. When do you think they will be releasing it and how sure are you that they will?

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
REALLY? This might be something to look into. I am thinking about picking up a buddy of mines tikka 300wm but if tikka really is coming out with one maybe I need to hold off on that. When do you think they will be releasing it and how sure are you that they will?
I can’t find the thread but i received this news via another rok thread so i trust it like i trust my ex with my dog. I know the dog will return to me.. i just might be embarrassed for awhile.

I can’t find the thread but i received this news via another rok thread so i trust it like i trust my ex with my dog. I know the dog will return to me.. i just might be embarrassed for awhile.
It’ll be nice to see what they come out with.