Real world McMillan edge stock weight

cooperjd

WKR
I’m working out details of a build with my smith. I’m trying to decide on a stock. I like the looks of the McMillan hunter. The hunters edge maybe a touch lighter, or the game scout if I want a more vertical grip.

Anyone have any finished weights on some edge fill stocks they can share?

Looks like at least 26oz from what I see on mcmillans site. I’d like a little closer to 20 if I can find it.

Rem 700 long action will be the build base
Thank you

For 700 long actions I've had Ultra Light Hunters Edge and Classic w/Edge fill. The Classic and ULHE share the same straightforward and unpretentious lines but the Classic is a tad beefier around the barrel channel. [Be sure to notice that neither Classic or ULHE have the Rem Hunter's comb raise and monte carlo butt.]

The weight difference is ULHE is 4 to 5 ounces less than Classic w/Edge fill. My ULHE (graphite) is 23 ounces (blind mag box).

What it boils down to is barrel contour. Supposing a steel barrel in #3 sporter or less, ULHE is a no brainer. If #3 or more, or mag bolt diameter, go Classic.

Am thinking of posting/selling my ULHE because of a re-barrel with a different contour. The inlet is for a #2 Douglas w/short shank so can be opened up to custom fit a #3. Can also be cut for a floor plate (shameful 😢, tho that's subjective preference). LOP is 13.5". The stock is only 2 years old (a warranty replacement). Color is grey fleck texture on grey + know that McMillan will repaint for $80 if you tape off the inlet.

Hope this helps!

OP
cooperjd

cooperjd

WKR
For 700 long actions I've had Ultra Light Hunters Edge and Classic w/Edge fill. The Classic and ULHE share the same straightforward and unpretentious lines but the Classic is a tad beefier around the barrel channel. [Be sure to notice that neither Classic or ULHE have the Rem Hunter's comb raise and monte carlo butt.]

The weight difference is ULHE is 4 to 5 ounces less than Classic w/Edge fill. My ULHE (graphite) is 23 ounces (blind mag box).

What it boils down to is barrel contour. Supposing a steel barrel in #3 sporter or less, ULHE is a no brainer. If #3 or more, or mag bolt diameter, go Classic.

Am thinking of posting/selling my ULHE because of a re-barrel with a different contour. The inlet is for a #2 Douglas w/short shank so can be opened up to custom fit a #3. Can also be cut for a floor plate (shameful , tho that's subjective preference). LOP is 13.5". The stock is only 2 years old (a warranty replacement). Color is grey fleck texture on grey + know that McMillan will repaint for $80 if you tape off the inlet.

Hope this helps!

That helps a lot, thank you!
This is my first build... will be a 7RM with a 24” #2 lilja. I’m trying to find the balance between light and shootable/comfortable. Will also be a BDL, I hate blind mags (sorry! ;))

I have to add cheek risers to all my rifles so I was looking at the McMillan hunter as it’s based off the Sako stock with a pretty high comb. Maybe with that I can just roll with the stock and no extras. I also figure that one would run around 28-30 ounces. Kinda disappointing for an $800 stock. Maybe my expectations are just too high.

Trees91

WKR
Could look into a manners eh6. Available for long action, pretty high comb. I ran one on a 338 I built. Great feeling stock, pretty classic sporter feel with a bit of a palm swell. I'm not sure what mine weighed. Gotta be around 25oz if I had to guess.

Could look into a manners eh6. Available for long action, pretty high comb. I ran one on a 338 I built. Great feeling stock, pretty classic sporter feel with a bit of a palm swell. I'm not sure what mine weighed. Gotta be around 25oz if I had to guess.
OP,

I agree with Trees91. I'd go with a MSC-EH6 or 6A and never look back, especially if you go with a pic rail. Additionally, for a 7RM you might want to go with a #3 with flutes, 24" threaded. Hanging a brake on a long #2 might get weird.

Rifle stocks and fly rod blanks require the same balancing act; to achieve the mean between lightest weight and durability. Any stock under 30 oz is super light. Too light and stuff breaks. Lots of well-meaning, spendier LW ideas end up in the remorse bucket.

Note to OP: I didn't see your mention of 24" until after my last post. So yes, 24" is better than longer based on your idea for the rifle (I think :)).

excaliber

WKR
I’m working out details of a build with my smith. I’m trying to decide on a stock. I like the looks of the McMillan hunter. The hunters edge maybe a touch lighter, or the game scout if I want a more vertical grip.

Anyone have any finished weights on some edge fill stocks they can share?

Looks like at least 26oz from what I see on mcmillans site. I’d like a little closer to 20 if I can find it.

Rem 700 long action will be the build base
Thank you
You're not going to get anywhere close to 20 oz with any McMillan stock. I have a McMillan Hunter with Edge Fill and it's just over 27 oz. It's also a Rem LA.

ShortMagFan

Lil-Rokslider
my lightest edge is 22oz. Most Of mine have gone 24-25oz

my manners uc is well under 20. I think 17 and change but can’t remember specifically

I love Mcmillan stocks, but I'll never use an edge fill stock on a magnum again. The last two I had broke/cracked in the recoil lug area. I'm definitely not bashing Mcmillan but I'm going to reserve the edge fill stocks for the mild cartridges in the future. 20200312_064057.jpg
In this picture you can see where the cracks started in the recoil lug recess and migrated to the front pillar and into the mag well. All this despite proper inletting and bedding by one of the best in the business.

Mcmillan was great to deal with and replaced the stock under warranty.

kipper09

WKR
May want to look at jack keister. He custom builds stocks that are very light. Been thinking about putting one on a Sako finnlight I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cooperjd

cooperjd

WKR
I sent a note to manners to check build time currently. The eh 3 and eh6 look good. I’m not thrilled about waiting 6mo for a McMillan (what my smith told me)

I can either try to count every ounce and try to build a rifle that is as light as possible. Or have a little more weight and build one that has a bigger beefier stock that would be more fun and likely easier to shoot. I just need to figure out what I want.

7SS on a short action; 22”tube; manners ultra classic at 18oz

7mag, 24”, McMillan hunter or manners eh3/6. Probably a pound heavier.

Wish the money tree was producing and I’d build both.

Lawnboi

WKR
I sent a note to manners to check build time currently. The eh 3 and eh6 look good. I’m not thrilled about waiting 6mo for a McMillan (what my smith told me)

I can either try to count every ounce and try to build a rifle that is as light as possible. Or have a little more weight and build one that has a bigger beefier stock that would be more fun and likely easier to shoot. I just need to figure out what I want.

7SS on a short action; 22”tube; manners ultra classic at 18oz

7mag, 24”, McMillan hunter or manners eh3/6. Probably a pound heavier.

Wish the money tree was producing and I’d build both.
I’d bet manners is the same timeframe. Atleast last stock I got from them was.

This ^^^^.

6 months wait for Mcm or Manners has been par for the last few years. Am currently waiting for a Manners ordered 9/5. Was told just under 6 months, so on track. Prior Manners was less than 5 months. McMillan stuff has been either side of 5 months. Just my limited experiences, anyway.

Both companies are great per expectations and communication/friendliness.

[Edit for OP: Consider this subjective preference, but I'd bet that most who have owned both makes are going to favor the shootability of a Manners carbon fiber for a magnum bolt face caliber or when cheek rise is needed.]

Last edited: