Really dirty water help.

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, I've been trying to find some advice for my situation, only found one thread from a few years ago, hoping to find a little more input/ help, would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have much experience with filtering water, especially nasty stuff.
I'm backpacking in early season for muleys in a area with extremely limited water. I just got back from a scouting trip, and the four areas I hoped to find a little standing water, in 10.5 miles that I covered only one had anything in it, and it's nasty!!!
It's an made dam where everything included cattle are in it. The deepest it looked was 8" with only the top few inches somewhat clean.
My plan prior to this trip was going to be using a swayer squeeze, and two 3L bags. But now I'm rethinking my whole plan. Do you think a pre filter bag still us my swayer and also treat with aqua drops would work? Maybe also using a 6L and 3L water bag for dirty, and a 3L for clean water at camp. That water hole is covered with sign, so I'd like to stay out as much as possible. Or should I be looking at something like a First need xl?

Also this spot is 4.5 miles in, and I'd like to hunt further so weight is a issue, I did cache 3.5 gallons on my trip, but even if I take more in with on the way in I'm sure it won't last very long early season.

Thanks!

Some people use bucket and floculant top remove a lot of the solids. You and the water and mix in the floculant. Then let it settle for about 15 minutes. Then filter the clear water as usual.

I've never done it. I just heard about it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

More information. Cliff Jacobson is highly respected.

Wrench

WKR
I've pulled water with my PUR hiker ( now Katadyn) from sources that were much worse.....I'd use a pump filter for sure.

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
I've pulled water with my PUR hiker ( now Katadyn) from sources that were much worse.....I'd use a pump filter for sure.

Is it something like the Vario? Or the more expensive models?

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
That First Need is probably your best bet for a couple OZ extra. It should have a pre filter on the hose. Just dont let the canister freeze. Take it to bed with you if freezing is a concern.

Don’t discount the use of a bandana as a pre filter. Either wrap over the mouth of a bottle or pour from one vessel like a pot into another or fill the pot place a bandana over it and push the filter I take into the water through the bandana.

also think about digging a small pool in that pond that will let the water settle into it a bit.

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t discount the use of a bandana as a pre filter. Either wrap over the mouth of a bottle or pour from one vessel like a pot into another or fill the pot place a bandana over it and push the filter I take into the water through the bandana.

also think about digging a small pool in that pond that will let the water settle into it a bit.

The bandana is a good idea, I was thinking that or like someone posted a few years ago a diesel filter.

Digging a pool I like that idea, thanks.

Brendan

WKR
For real dirty water, the flocculant advice above, followed by tablets or steripen, potentially even filtering first would do it.

I haven't looked into using flocculant in the fields, but plenty of videos on it.

I've heard the guardian is the most bomb proof pump.
You can also find some kind of collapsible bucket and let the sediment settle to bottom.

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
I guess my knowledge of parasites and bacteria isn't what it should be.
Do you guys think if I go with a First Need or a Katadyn and treat with aqua drops regardless of how much piss and crap is in there will I be safe, or are drops even needed?

Just want to make sure I don't get myself sick.

Brendan

WKR
Really dirty water, I would do this:

Pre-filter with a coffee filter or bandana or use flocculant if it's real bad. Test this at home first.

Then, Filter using a pump.

Then, either use a steripen or tabs.

The problem with a pump alone is they will clog FAST with cloudy or dirty water. Like done, and have no way to get water fast....

Worst case for me I had to get water from a cow pasture, no kidding, our only option. We filtered and then treated with a steripen. Still tasted slightly like cow piss.

I guess my knowledge of parasites and bacteria isn't what it should be.
Do you guys think if I go with a First Need or a Katadyn and treat with aqua drops regardless of how much piss and crap is in there will I be safe, or are drops even needed?

Just want to make sure I don't get myself sick.
Any of the filters will give good, safe water. It will probably taste bad but it will be 100% safe.

The problem will be longevity. The filter might plug and then your only option will be boiling.

Again, it will be safe but it will taste like boiled cow piss

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Really dirty water, I would do this:

Pre-filter with a coffee filter or bandana or use flocculant if it's real bad. Test this at home first.

Then, Filter using a pump.

Then, either use a steripen or tabs.

The problem with a pump alone is they will clog FAST with cloudy or dirty water. Like done, and have no way to get water fast....

Worst case for me I had to get water from a cow pasture, no kidding, our only option. We filtered and then treated with a steripen. Still tasted slightly like cow piss.

That flocculant works really well, wow.

That is a solid plan and a good idea, I appreciate it..... I think the water is clean enough that I'll be able to filter it using these ideas, and drops or tabs, but like you said with the cows. This hole is pretty small and it could have 100 cows in it from what I seen, they have stock tanks on the private land and go back and forth. The way it's dig open even with rains it won't get very deep to hold much more water. But like you said, tasting like piss is better than getting sick lol

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Any of the filters will give good, safe water. It will probably taste bad but it will be 100% safe.

The problem will be longevity. The filter might plug and then your only option will be boiling.

Again, it will be safe but it will taste like boiled cow piss

I appreciate it, that's what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure!

That last line really got me laughing! Boiled cow piss lol..... I can't wait!

I hunt similar conditions in the Gila when lucky enough to draw. I pack water in a week in advance, and carry as much as I can in when it's time to hunt. Sucks but it's either that, or drink nasty piss water, or don't go in