Really Right Stuff

Sadler

WKR
Do these tripods live up to the hype? I currently have an outdoorsman compact medium, great tripod and it served me well but I’m wanting something for my hunts that’s taller that I can stand up and glass/shoot off of without a center post. I’m 5’8” for reference.

How are the ball heads? Can they handle a BTX95? Are they good for glassing? I’ve never used a ball head before. My outdoorsmans panhead seems to struggle a little with the BTX85 so I’m sure I’ll need something beefier for that 95 whenever I get one.

I’ve also read that guys are removing a couple leg sections to lighten these tripods up for backpack hunts. Is that as easy as it sounds or is there more to it than that? Also, how much weight are you saving by doing that?

If you guys could share your setups and recommendations I’d appreciate it. Right now I’m looking at the ultralight TFC -24L and the BH-30 or 40 ball head

Schism

WKR
I don't have an Outdoorsman tripod to compare to but I can say I've never seen or used a tripod as stable as my RRS tripod. I have the TFC-34L tripod and for my uses it works well. I pair my RRS tripod with a Gitzo fluid head and that combination works very well with my atx 95. I would imagine it would work well with the btx too. Standing and glassing with the spotter or binoculars is very easy.

I haven't looked into removing leg sections to save weight so I can't help you with that. I doubt I would ever use my current tripod for a backpack style hunt but the newer, lighter offerings from RRS have piqued my interest for backpacking.

I use my tripod paired with the RRS Anvil head to shoot from. It's a very stable shooting platform but not the best for optics. I don't have any experience with any of their ball heads.

Don't hesitate to call or email RRS directly with your questions. I've reached out to them a couple of times before buying my tripod and they were extremely helpful and replied quickly. Their customer service is superb just like many other high end, made in USA companies.

The RRS are really incredible. If you are looking for a similar but more cost effective option, consider contacting Daniel at 2 Vets Sporting Goods. I like the No Name and No Name Junior.

Attachments

• 08300452-A783-4A55-9C99-966FD292A7AD.jpeg
    08300452-A783-4A55-9C99-966FD292A7AD.jpeg
    401.5 KB · Views: 163
  • EA068A18-CC14-4C31-9FF6-1C29D8A2FE2A.jpeg
    EA068A18-CC14-4C31-9FF6-1C29D8A2FE2A.jpeg
    695.5 KB · Views: 174
  • FE2E43C7-B61C-4DD4-911A-650CA5244637.jpeg
    FE2E43C7-B61C-4DD4-911A-650CA5244637.jpeg
    615.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 63DB3A17-0E29-4D79-96F9-AD2514E3A4C1.jpeg
    63DB3A17-0E29-4D79-96F9-AD2514E3A4C1.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 5820EC87-6C37-40DB-9BC2-551716357483.jpeg
    5820EC87-6C37-40DB-9BC2-551716357483.jpeg
    368.6 KB · Views: 160
OP
Sadler

Sadler

WKR
I don't have an Outdoorsman tripod to compare to but I can say I've never seen or used a tripod as stable as my RRS tripod. I have the TFC-34L tripod and for my uses it works well. I pair my RRS tripod with a Gitzo fluid head and that combination works very well with my atx 95. I would imagine it would work well with the btx too. Standing and glassing with the spotter or binoculars is very easy.

I haven't looked into removing leg sections to save weight so I can't help you with that. I doubt I would ever use my current tripod for a backpack style hunt but the newer, lighter offerings from RRS have piqued my interest for backpacking.

I use my tripod paired with the RRS Anvil head to shoot from. It's a very stable shooting platform but not the best for optics. I don't have any experience with any of their ball heads.

Don't hesitate to call or email RRS directly with your questions. I've reached out to them a couple of times before buying my tripod and they were extremely helpful and replied quickly. Their customer service is superb just like many other high end, made in USA companies.
Thanks for the insight. I wasn’t really looking at their new Ascent tripod because I saw the center post but it looks about perfect since you can remove it and still have it sit around 58” and weighing about 2.5 lbs which is basically what my compact medium weighs right now with the center post extension.

That anvil head looks pretty slick. If I was planning on shooting off it a lot I would get that head for sure.

The RRS are really incredible. If you are looking for a similar but more cost effective option, consider contacting Daniel at 2 Vets Sporting Goods. I like the No Name and No Name Junior.

Are these made in the US? I don’t see anything about where they are made on their site. You’d think if they are leveraging the patriotism angle so hard that they would keep their manufacturing in the US. Really Right Stuff are American made.

skierhs

WKR
The hype for RRS tripods are legit. I have the anvil 30 head ontop of a 24L tripod. I use it from my 12x NL binos, 95m ATX, to a fully loaded out 338LM shooting standing height. I haven’t thought about removing a leg section as the weight is negligible. The anvil is amazing to glass off of but for the first 10 minutes of use you’ll hate it. After getting used to it, I have been incredibly happy with it. You do not have as much angle available as a traditional ball head but I’ve yet to find that as an issue.

If I don’t need it for shooting off of, I may look at the tripod which they just came out with but its so solid with the spotter its hard to justify getting another tripod.

Are these made in the US? I don’t see anything about where they are made on their site. You’d think if they are leveraging the patriotism angle so hard that they would keep their manufacturing in the US. Really Right Stuff are American made.
I don't believe they are.

Elkangle

WKR
I love glassing off my rss set up... solid in the wind...super smooth pan

Also seems to be pretty dang durable

OP
Sadler

Sadler

WKR
Thanks for the feedback guys. If I was going to use it more for shooting I’d definitely pick up that Anvil head but since most of its life will be spent under glass, I’m going to give the compact BH 30 a shot and see how it compares to my outdoorsmans pan head.

Being that shot show is weeks away (totally forgot about that) I think I’ll hold out on the tripod. It’s inevitable that I’ll buy a tripod and then they’ll release a better version of whatever I bought at shot. Or outdoorsmans will finally release a carbon tripod, with twist locks and the option to remove the center post.....one can only hope.

skierhs

WKR
Thanks for the feedback guys. If I was going to use it more for shooting I’d definitely pick up that Anvil head but since most of its life will be spent under glass, I’m going to give the compact BH 30 a shot and see how it compares to my outdoorsmans pan head.

Being that shot show is weeks away (totally forgot about that) I think I’ll hold out on the tripod. It’s inevitable that I’ll buy a tripod and then they’ll release a better version of whatever I bought at shot. Or outdoorsmans will finally release a carbon tripod, with twist locks and the option to remove the center post.....one can only hope.
I think SHOT got canceled this year due to rona.

OP
Sadler

Sadler

WKR
I have a RRS tripod and anvil head, IMO they are worth it if you are shooting off of them. If you are just glassing I think it's a waste of money.

The anvils a waste if you’re just glassing or the actual tripod is?

The Two Vets tripods are straight up Made in China 🇨🇳
Xi Xinping himself gets a cut of every purchase...

If it means anything, RRS does employ veterans. The guy that heads up SOAR is a Marine Corps vet.

I have the TFCT-24L. It was a little weird using the anvil ball head for glassing at first, but I really like it now. It helps to have a good optic with edge to edge clarity to take full advantage of the FOV.

You can remove the bottom two leg section and install rubber chair leg caps to protect the threads. This would get the tripod and head down to 3.5#. It’s still tall enough to sit or kneel while glassing or shooting.

I think the weight rating for the 24L is 70#. I‘ve been leaning on mine and I believe the rating is true. It is rock steady in wind and easily supports my rifle and the magnum recoil.

32445770-CD3D-4B56-A3BB-C017059000FC.jpeg

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The anvils a waste if you’re just glassing or the actual tripod is?
The whole set up. Don't get me wrong RRS products are second to none. But for glassing, you can do the same thing with a much cheaper tripod. Some of those "China" made tripods are pretty damn nice on the checkbook and in the field(Gasp). Hell a medium or tall Outdoorsmans tripod would work well if you want to try an Anvil head on them and stay all American. With the leftover money, you can buy a tag. :)

I have tried to use the Anvil for glassing and it's not for me.

OP
Sadler

Sadler

WKR
The whole set up. Don't get me wrong RRS products are second to none. But for glassing, you can do the same thing with a much cheaper tripod. Some of those "China" made tripods are pretty damn nice on the checkbook and in the field(Gasp). Hell a medium or tall Outdoorsmans tripod would work well if you want to try an Anvil head on them and stay all American. With the leftover money, you can buy a tag. :)

I have tried to use the Anvil for glassing and it's not for me.

You’re a damn voice of reason Ryan!