Rebarreling a Win model 70

Graves14

WKR
Is anyone making “pre-fit” carbon fiber barrels for model 70’s?

I have an older featherlight in .270 that I live but after 2-3 shots the barrel is on fire. I’ve been considering re-barreling it with a carbon one if I can.

Bringing this back to life since I just bought a cheap model 70 (270 win) with a beater barrel.

I’m wanting to go 7mm and on the fence between 7x57 and 280AI. Unless it turns out to be my best (or 2nd best) shooter it probably won’t get shot much. Is there any compelling reason to go another direction or pick one over the other (<400 yard elk backup gun)?

Spoonbill

WKR
Bringing this back to life since I just bought a cheap model 70 (270 win) with a beater barrel.

I’m wanting to go 7mm and on the fence between 7x57 and 280AI. Unless it turns out to be my best (or 2nd best) shooter it probably won’t get shot much. Is there any compelling reason to go another direction or pick one over the other (<400 yard elk backup gun)?
I have read that 7x57 loads can be on the slow side due to pressure concerns in older rifles, not sure how true that is or if it matters to you. You could take a look at available ammo and see if you can find the bullet you want at the speeds you want then go from there.

Since you re opened it… I have a 6.5 creed. Wanted a 7 saum but between proof barrel, hs precision stock, trued m70, and coated I couldn’t beat 1300. Nice rifle, wish I did a different stock. Love the action though. Shoots awesome dumped my biggest bull at 465 frontal. Full confidence. Prone groups best at .3 moa at 300. Average easily under .75moa.

I think you keep it and enjoy your build! 280ai would be an awesome one.

280 AI elk - one shot 450 yards - 140 gr. Nosler Partition. Can't go wrong with the 280AI !

photo%205_zpsysmyw4zv.jpg