Recession Coming?

MattB

WKR
Berkshire Hathaway's Munger says US is approaching a mild recession. Depressed commercial real estate values and its impact on banks/lending will be key drivers.

Flyjunky

WKR
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the US dollar being dropped by so many countries. How many countries is it up to now, 8, with more saying they will be dropping it as well.

If that happens we will be in a world of hurt like we have never seen before.

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the US dollar being dropped by so many countries. How many countries is it up to now, 8, with more saying they will be dropping it as well.

Why is that?

*zap*

WKR

I mentioned brics and the st. petersburgh forum happening this june...

Why is the loss of the US dollar as the worlds currency a bad thing?

I don’t think it will happen but if it did the dollar would be worth pennies.
Other countries' currencies that dont have the distinction of a worlds currency are not worth pennies. I dont know a lot about this topic but in recent memory there are many currencies that trade for more than 1 dollar.

Last edited:

Bluefish

WKR
The biggest advantage the dollar has is that it’s currently the currency for oil. This locks the usd value to a tangible asset. Without it, the usd will fluctuate more and may lose a lot of value due to the printing of all the $$ over the last few years.

ozyclint

WKR
The biggest advantage the dollar has is that it’s currently the currency for oil. This locks the usd value to a tangible asset. Without it, the usd will fluctuate more and may lose a lot of value due to the printing of all the $$ over the last few years.
That's why you 'Democracied the $hit out of Gaddafi' in Libya when he wanted to trade oil in a new African gold Dinah.

*zap*

WKR
I bet we see a gold backed currency or a few started in the next few years.
The US dollar goes down = troubles for us all. Jmo